Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on short term homing of 3 cats after house fire.

• 12-10-2013 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

My house was burnt badly on Tue morning. I have 3 cats who got out without any probs thank goodness, I am fine also , my 18 y.o son was woken by the alarm and got some 2nd & 3rd degree on his arms. We were all very lucky.
    I can't find a thread on here on house fires at all,
    but at the moment my son & I are in hotel accom and luckily the kitchen/ diner was not damaged in any way (everywhere else is either burnt or with smoke and water damage)
    I got the cats out and they came back to the house after the fire brigades ambulance and Gardai had left. 2 totally indoor kits, the older guy is allowed out (but if my will and resolve was stronger than his he wouldn't , besides he mostly just sits on the shed). Anyway, a lot of work will have to be done rebuilding and I am not covered for either myself or pets accom due to long legal story.
    I need to either find short term accom for us all - house/apt or go homeless with HSE and find somewhere to mind our cats.
    I would appreciate any advise please, thanks.
    Dublin 15 / Meath border area

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

See if you can find a cat hostel and strike a deal with them on a longer housing and repayment over time by explaining your circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah zef, what an awful time for you. Very sorry to hear about your house, but thank god you all made it out ok.

How long do you think the refurb will be? A quick Daft search brought up a few places in Dublin 15 with 3month leases, not sure about pets though.

If you have to stay in a Hotel, there are a few in Dublin that are pet friendly which may be a cheaper option than using a cattery. If you do go the cattery route you should definitely get a discount if it's for the 3 cats over a good few weeks.

If you need a hand with anything such as transport etc, PM me. I don't live too far from you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

That's an awful position to be in, glad you're all ok (hope your son recovers quick and isn't in too much pain).
    I would try a few cattery places, even short term for a week or two until you can sort accommodation for you all. I know our cattery charges €18 per night for my 3 cats sharing a large corner space with the larger outside run, hopefully somewhere will do you a deal under the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Please please please bring cats to a vet to get them checked out
    I lost a cat post house fire due to internal problems caused by smoke inhalation and I thought he was fine initially :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AdoptAPet

Can you try and get them into foster care while your house is being sorted? Pm sent of rescues that might be able to help for short term care. Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement