Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another 'another recommend me headphones thread' - Please help :)

• 12-10-2013 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Well guys, I've read through a lot of threads on here and just need your advice on a suitable pair of headphones - over or on ear, I already have a pair of CX400 in ears :)

Some info that may help with a recommendation:

1. I listen to anything from dance music (think Calvin Harris) to Rap (think Eminem/Dre) to general pop (think Ellie Goulding) to indie (think Snow Patrol) to rock (think KOL) - Basically a lot of different genres (Please don't hate/judge me for my musical preferences):o
    2. My budget - I'd like to spend less than €200, ideally €100 - €150 but will stretch for a good pair
    3. I like my bass, not overpowering but I like a 'fuller' sound - I don't know how to describe it but I'd like to hear everything? As in the detail and would like it to be crisp - I'm just a noob to all this type of thing but I just want decent sound with some good bass that's not overpowering.
    4. If possible, I would like a pair with as little sound leak as possible - the GF hates me using headphones in the house because they're as loud on the outside as they are in my ear. Something that could keep her happy would be a bonus - but I'd prefer not to sacrifice the good sound quality.

That's it I think. I've been to Harvey Norman and tried a few pairs. I tried the SOL republics and they seemed to be pretty good but the reviews seem to suggest they're in the same range as Beats by DRE so I'd prefer something that has decent sound quality that isn't a fashion statement.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

There are quite a few options:

Grado SR80
    Audio Technica ATH M50
    Shure SRH840
    Ultrasone HFI-780
    Sennheiser HD 25 - II

These are just a few of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Audio Technica ATH M50
    Sennheiser HD 25 - II

I have the Audio Technica's and I really like them and they seem to suit your needs.

The Sennheiser's are very well regarded and would fit the bill too I think. A bit more expensive though.

You could do some research here! Closed cans would be best for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

i got the sony MDR1R on adverts for just over 100 euro. they sound brilliant and theres bugger all sound leakage. when im wearing my senny 650s while herself is watching the soaps, i get nothing but abuse due to the sound leakage. sonys saved my marriage!

they are cheap because lots of people got them free with a sony phone and just cashed them in on adverts for around 100. retail is about 300 plus i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭scuba8

Bowers & Wilkins P3 on ear headphones. We'll made, comfortable with truly excellent sound quality. Available from Cloney Audio in Blackrock Main Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking that the HD25's would come up, I've been a fan of Sennheiser for a good while, particularly with their in ear models.

The only problem is getting the chance to try out any of the ones listed above, I've been to Harvey Normans which only sells the fashion brands and there hasn't really been anywhere else, I don't mind taking a punt on a pair but would be good to get some real world recommendations like the above mentioned.

Swaying towards the HD25's but the Technica's sound interesting - what would be the better option?

• Advertisement

OREGATO wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking that the HD25's would come up, I've been a fan of Sennheiser for a good while, particularly with their in ear models.

The only problem is getting the chance to try out any of the ones listed above, I've been to Harvey Normans which only sells the fashion brands and there hasn't really been anywhere else, I don't mind taking a punt on a pair but would be good to get some real world recommendations like the above mentioned.

Swaying towards the HD25's but the Technica's sound interesting - what would be the better option?

You're fairly shizz out of luck when it comes to trying out medium to high end cans in Ireland. I think most of us here did our research and had to take a punt.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Tower Records are a good bet for some more premium headphones and they are always increasing their range. Worth popping in for a look.

Right, I've done loads of reading and think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Audio Technica's.

How much should I expect to pay? I nearly went through on Amazon and they're coming out at around 170 euros? Is that correct?

Anyone any recommendations?

Tower Records are a good bet for some more premium headphones and they are always increasing their range. Worth popping in for a look.

They tend to be quite on the expensive side. I tried momentums in there. The demo pair were in an awful state when I tried them. Same in PC World in Jervis. The cable split and the wires on show.

Right, I've done loads of reading and think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Audio Technica's.

How much should I expect to pay? I nearly went through on Amazon and they're coming out at around 170 euros? Is that correct?

Anyone any recommendations?

I paid about £134 in 2011.

This seems to be the best deal. Graphite finish though.

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance - but what is the difference between graphite finish and the standard finish.

The main usage, I should add, for these headphones will be around the house. If the OH has the TV on and I just want to chill out with some music etc.

I'm tempted to go for those, but when I nearly went through with the delivery, it came out at over €170 which was a bit steep for me.

Is there much difference between those and the Sennheisers both price and quality wise?

It's a fairly large punt to be taken for occasional wear, so I'd rather be sure before going ahead.

With free delivery it is £129.

Converts to about €152 but nearer €155 at the rate credit card or bank uses.

Just a different surface finish. No other difference that I could see.

There is white for the same price as black on Amazon. Red is about £2 dearer I think. If they are fulfilled by amazon then they will offer free shipping.

Is there much difference between those and the Sennheisers both price and quality wise?

It's a fairly large punt to be taken for occasional wear, so I'd rather be sure before going ahead.

The Sennheiser HD 25 1 II are about €200 in X-music. They are £200 on Amazon. I've heard very good things about them but I have no personal experience. They were about €20 dearer than the ATH M50s when I was buying.

It all really depends on your on value of these things. If ~€150 is something you are happy to spend on a quality product (which both are) then I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help.
    Can someone tell me if I'd need a head phone amp with the above headphones?

Main sources would be a MacBook Pro (2013 model), iPad 1, Samsung S4 and iPod Nano 7th Gen.

Would a headphone amp make any difference or am I just wasting my money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

From personal experience, I never felt they needed an amp to shine. If you think it might be worth your while, pick up a cheap little FiiO E6 and a FiiO LOD ( L9, for the iPod that is )

Cheers Marko. I'll see how they go for now and decide on if I need an amp or not.

So just to update, I BOUGHT THEM :) Happy owner of a pair of Audio Technica Ath M50's.

I actually looked up their site and saw that Music Maker in Dublin City Centre are a stockist. A quick phone call and they confirmed to have them in stock. Sent the GF in as I was stuck in work and just got home a while back, they've been on my ears ever since.

I've been Googling about the 'burn in' process, but from Audio Technica's website, they note that there is no real need to do this as there will only be a slight change in sound - is this true?

First impressions, they're comfortable enough, Build quality is nice and they feel robust enough, cable is very long - I went for the straight cable as opposed to corded. Sound wise, I'm by no means an audiophile so I can't really comment on high's, mid's and low's but they do sound superb. Listening to 192 - 320KBPS songs, you can really hear a lot more if that makes sense?

I'm enjoying them so far - anything I should watch out for with these types of headphones - maintenance etc and should I not play music too loud when I've just bought them?? I had Beats By Dre in the past (please don't hate me) and the sound quality on the M50's are streets ahead. The bass lacks a little - I think, but it's not off putting at all.

Thanks for the recommendations - any more information or advice would be great :)

What you're hearing is a totally different type of bass. It's not thrown at you, with the M50s it's quality bass.

Best burn in, IMO is to just keep using them. Cord can always be braided or just tied up if it becomes a hassle!

Enjoy them, I know I did. I still regret selling mine.

Cheers Marko. I'll see how they go for now and decide on if I need an amp or not.

So just to update, I BOUGHT THEM :) Happy owner of a pair of Audio Technica Ath M50's.

I actually looked up their site and saw that Music Maker in Dublin City Centre are a stockist. A quick phone call and they confirmed to have them in stock. Sent the GF in as I was stuck in work and just got home a while back, they've been on my ears ever since.

I've been Googling about the 'burn in' process, but from Audio Technica's website, they note that there is no real need to do this as there will only be a slight change in sound - is this true?

First impressions, they're comfortable enough, Build quality is nice and they feel robust enough, cable is very long - I went for the straight cable as opposed to corded. Sound wise, I'm by no means an audiophile so I can't really comment on high's, mid's and low's but they do sound superb. Listening to 192 - 320KBPS songs, you can really hear a lot more if that makes sense?

I'm enjoying them so far - anything I should watch out for with these types of headphones - maintenance etc and should I not play music too loud when I've just bought them?? I had Beats By Dre in the past (please don't hate me) and the sound quality on the M50's are streets ahead. The bass lacks a little - I think, but it's not off putting at all.

Thanks for the recommendations - any more information or advice would be great :)

Given a second chance I'd go for the coiled cable. Not a huge complaint.

They aren't near their potential at 192kbps or even 320kbps. Get listening to cds on a decent stereo or .flac files. The music will "sparkle". It's wondrous!

Enjoy them!

How much did you pay as a matter of interest?

I'd love a coiled cable, and if I buy them again it'll probbaly be what I go for.

FLAC for at home - 320 on the go.

• Advertisement

I agree on the coiled cable, the normal cable is just too long for regular use!

Musicmaker price was 179, not bad I guess, a bit more expensive than online but I didn't mind.

Listening to some tracks in 192 and 320 KBPS, the music sounds good. Not mind blowing but I guess that could be down to several reasons including:

1. They're not 'burnt' in yet
    2. It's not the best quality of sound
    3. I'm not used to them

One small thing I have noticed is that with some tracks, playing on my MacBook Pro, there is some crackling type sound for a few seconds in some parts of the song (maybe 2 - 3 seconds), volume isn't too high, just casual listening at home and it's not 'high' points of the songs or anything like that, not sure why this is? Not really that noticeable, has happened to one or two songs. When I replay the song, it doesn't seem to happen each time.. The songs are 320 KBPS. Any ideas?

I agree on the coiled cable, the normal cable is just too long for regular use!

Musicmaker price was 179, not bad I guess, a bit more expensive than online but I didn't mind.

Listening to some tracks in 192 and 320 KBPS, the music sounds good. Not mind blowing but I guess that could be down to several reasons including:

1. They're not 'burnt' in yet
    2. It's not the best quality of sound
    3. I'm not used to them

One small thing I have noticed is that with some tracks, playing on my MacBook Pro, there is some crackling type sound for a few seconds in some parts of the song (maybe 2 - 3 seconds), volume isn't too high, just casual listening at home and it's not 'high' points of the songs or anything like that, not sure why this is? Not really that noticeable, has happened to one or two songs. When I replay the song, it doesn't seem to happen each time.. The songs are 320 KBPS. Any ideas?

I find that happens with some of my tracks as well, even though they state 320, they are still fairly poor rips. That could be the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

marko93 wrote: »
    I find that happens with some of my tracks as well, even though they state 320, they are still fairly poor rips. That could be the problem!

this! for example, its possible to take a krappy lo bit mp3 file and convert it into flac. the resulting file would be super krapp. one way to check is to use foobar and see what numbers it returns on the bottom left.

or take some of your own cds and rip them into flac using foobar and compare the results. then you will have some idea of how a proper flac file is meant to sound.

Mmmm .flac

mry3gn.jpg

Thanks emo72, you just reminded me I need to re-rip all my albums again!

Thanks emo72, you just reminded me I need to re-rip all my albums again!

I know the pleasure of that! :pac:

Cheers guys, I downloaded a flac song earlier, just as a comparison - don't kill me but.. I don't think I can make out too much of a difference.

Both being played through VLC player on my MBP, side by side, there are *some* small differences, nothing that would probably warrant me to rip all the CD's/Albums I have though.

In saying that, there is a huge differences with other headphones I'm using and I'm happy out with them so far :)

Really enjoying them but for anyone thinking of buying a pair - give the coiled cable a thought before defaulting to straight - I think I'd prefer coiled.. The straight has it's merits - but for versatility if you're going to be using them out and about, I'd say coiled will be the way to go. For me though, they'll mostly be used at home, I'd tend to wear my in ear Sennheisers when I'm out and about, they're more discreet :)

Cheers guys, I downloaded a flac song earlier, just as a comparison - don't kill me but.. I don't think I can make out too much of a difference.

That, sir, is fighting talk!

Glad you enjoy them, I wouldn't write off .flac on one song. Some music works far better in higher quality. Up to yourself though.

Good 320kbs rips should be the main goal here for portable use!

I had a system, where I burnt all albums to flac, and converted those files to 320 for my ipod. FLAC on the go is just too much imo. Although the subtle differences can be nice

• Advertisement

Good 320kbs rips should be the main goal here for portable use!

I had a system, where I burnt all albums to flac, and converted those files to 320 for my ipod. FLAC on the go is just too much imo. Although the subtle differences can be nice

Yeah, I have 320kbps in my Sony PMP. I'd have to invest in a .flac compatible PMP then the memory cards then IEMs worthy of .flac. Not sure I'm that pushed or flush to bother with that for the time being.

Then comes the upgrade-itis. It's all a vicious cycle

Then comes the upgrade-itis. It's all a vicious cycle

Yes, I have my eye on a EPH02D at the moment.

Upgrade-itis has already taken hold.

Morf wrote: »
    Yes, I have my eye on a EPH02D at the moment.

Upgrade-itis has already taken hold.

Such is the life of an audio fan :o

Advertisement