Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full-time work and self-employment - Form11

Options
  • 12-10-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice regarding filling in the Form11 for 2012. I was full time employee and self-employed at the same time. Haven't got any income from self-employment and earned about 20k from my full time work. Now, when I fill in the Form11 online it looks like I owe to the revenue around €600. I already paid the tax from my full time work, am I doing something wrong here? Thanks for any help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Bold Abdu

Have you included the PAYE credit in your comp'?

Are you single/married? Wife work? How much did she earn? How much tax/USC did you pay on salary per P60?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greg45

I'm single, I paid around €900 tax and €700 USC. There was a helping table in the Form 11 with what I earned and I typed in that info below to Employments, USC and Tax fields. As for the PAYE credit, I wasn't sure should I tick that box or not, when I do there is an overpayment, is it possible they owe me a few hundreds?

You say you earned €20k. Tax this at 20%=€4,000. Add USC of €10,036 @2% + €5,980 @ €4% + balance of €3,984 @ 7% = €4,718.80. Subtract from this your personal credit of €1,650 & PAYE credit of €1,650. That equals total tax & USC payable of €1,418.80.

Finally, subtract from this the tax & USC already deducted of €1,600 to give you an overpayment of €181.20.

That's how it's calculated. Double check my comp' as I did it in my head in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 greg45

Yes, that makes sense, thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mango1977

Hi
    can you help .I am full time employee but I'm also self-employed.Got my P60 for 2012.and earned a little from self employment.Should I add two income together in form 11??PRSI is less then mini 253 so means I have to pay 253??evenif my net profit was 810???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Hi Bold Just want to compliment you for making up the returns. I like dealing with figures but you are a wizard!!! Could you give me a crash course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cuileannach

Hi guys,
    Just wondering if yee could help me too? I was a student for all of 2012, bar Jan when I earned €2534.56, with no tax deducted and paid 74.04 (USC). From then on I was a fulltime student. However I did freelance
    translation work. This was contract work and I received a F45 (WITHHOLDING TAX FROM PAYMENTS FOR PROFESSIONAL SERVICES) with
    each payment. In the year 2012 I received 4 remittance slips. I
    received a total of €6990, while €1398 of this was kept as "withheld tax'
    and put into line A3 on the F45 (appropriate tax deducted). I also
    paid 5979 in student fees for myself this year.

I think I am exempt from USC but have no idea what Im meant to do about PRSI?? Do I pay 253 or as a student am I exempt??

So confused!!!
    Any help would be really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Individuals are exempt from paying the USC where their total income for 2012 does not exceed €10,036

Either Register for ROS and complete a Return online or print off a Form 11 and post it in to Revenue .... you are due a nice bit of tax back which will more than cover the 253 PRSI you owe

Cuileannach, you're running at a refund of €1,192.

Assuming they are qualifying tuition fees you will get relief on €3,479 (€5,979 - €2,500) at 20% = €696 of a tax credit. You would have to have paid some tax in 2013 to claim the tax back obviously.

Bold Abdu wrote: »
    Cuileannach, you're running at a refund of €1,192.

Assuming they are qualifying tuition fees you will get relief on €3,479 (€5,979 - €2,500) at 20% = €696 of a tax credit. You would have to have paid some tax in 2013 to claim the tax back obviously.

I calculate it at €1,219 :)

• Advertisement

I calculate it at €1,219 :)

That's because you only charged €253 PRSI as opposed to €279 (€6,990 * 4%).

I'm sure he/she could still reduce this by a few quid by including some expenses against freelance work. Might save a tenner!

Bold Abdu wrote: »
    That's because you only charged €253 PRSI as opposed to €279 (€6,990 * 4%).

I'm sure he/she could still reduce this by a few quid by including some expenses against freelance work. Might save a tenner!

opps ; my bad

Thanks very much guys, that has really cleared it up for me!

Actually, sorry guys, Im still confused... do you mind explaining how you got the €1192? Sorry- really new to this!!

You pay no tax - covered by credits.
    You pay no USC - below threshold
    PRSI - €279 (see above)

So you get back the PSWT & USC you paid less the PRSI you owe.

Sorry, on phone, so difficult to lay it out any better than that.

Advertisement