Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Squirrel Saved

• 12-10-2013 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hello,

I came across a young squirrel on the pavement near Ranelagh, Dublin, being attacked by magpies. It has fur and its eyes are open but it's still too young to be independent. From youtube videos I can guesstimate 26 weeks(?).

I'm just a student and have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has real advice other then: keep warm, feed /w syringe, wait for Monday for a vet.. I'd appreciate it.

Does anyone know any wildlife rehabilitators, or people who would take in this sort of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

F9Devil wrote: »
    Hello,

I came across a young squirrel on the pavement near Ranelagh, Dublin, being attacked by magpies. It has fur and its eyes are open but it's still too young to be independent. From youtube videos I can guesstimate 26 weeks(?).

I'm just a student and have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has real advice other then: keep warm, feed /w syringe, wait for Monday for a vet.. I'd appreciate it.

Does anyone know any wildlife rehabilitators, or people who would take in this sort of thing?

Red or Grey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Grey, I'm sure that lowers her chance of help huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A good starting point is to contact Irish Wildlife Matters

Grey, I'm sure that lowers her chance of help huh

If it was in pain I'd be inclined to humanely dispatch it.
    Your local NPWS Ranger would be worth a call. ( link above on contacts page ) .
    Best of luck and fair play to you for trying to help.

Upon reflection, strike a blow for our native red squirrel and humanely dispatch the tree rat.

It seems absolutely grand, its been sleeping a lot and I tried to give it some water with a pinch of salt and sugar in a little syringe... and later tried some lucozade sport(I read that Gatorade is a good rehydrant and assume its nearly the same thing).

I just want to get it back in the game and either release it in a wooded area or give it to someone more qualified who wont just euthanize it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hello,

26 weeks is six months, so I'm guessing you mean younger than that since greys can start to breed at around 5 months.

Get in contact with your wildlife officer and they'll know what to do with it. I must admit I'd be disinclined to release it due to the grey invasion.

I don't know about you but I'm not pushed what colour my local squirrels are. The little guy isn't dirnking but sleeping a ton. Not sure how I'm supposed to make him drink

The little guy isn't dirnking but sleeping a ton. Not sure how I'm supposed to make him drink
    Have you contacted anyone from Irish Wildlife Matters that I posted above or a local vet?

From the link i posted:
    wrote:
    Feeding
    Rehydration solution – Lectade or equivalent
    Vitamins must be added to the goats’ milk – calcium and phosphorus. Dip tip of teat in ‘Stress’ daily
    DO NOT feed peanuts or sunflower seeds - hypocalcaemia
    DO NOT feed hamster or gerbil food
    Equipment
    Initially pipette with small teat
    Move on to Catac bottle with only tiny hole in teat – squirrels suck voraciously
    Technique
    Feed with squirrel on all fours or standing on back legs leaning forward – slows down sucking
    Weaning
    When 2-3 weeks of age, lively and teeth have come through
    Farley’s Rusks for a few days then adult diet as above
    Again – DO NOT feed sunflower seeds or peanuts

As mentioned, if he's 26 weeks, he should be well able to feed himself. If he's 26 days he's past weaning stage and won't need milk as nutrition,but will still need to be hydrated. You need to contact someone with more experience ASAP as you will lose him in the next 24hrs if he's not hydrated.

I found him last night - No vets or wildlife places open
    It's Sunday - again, no vets of wildlife places open.

If you look at the "Contacts" section there's a number of people you can ring for "advice only". They mightn't be open today, but they may answer their phone and help you that way.

We also have a Nature forum, if you post your query there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Many of the wildlife people on the link supplied by Anniehoo are volunteers and will answer their phones any day of the week luckily. You really should try although don't bother with the Dublin contact. The Kildare one is very good and if it were me I'd try him first.

I don't know about you but I'm not pushed what colour my local squirrels are.

I would be very pushed what colour my local squirrels are.
    I'd cross hell and high water to try and save one of our native reds.
    The greys are an invasive nuisance, doing serious damage to the native red as well as wider damage.
    I wouldn't hesitate to dispatch the invader.

Bizzum wrote: »
    The greys are an invasive nuisance, doing serious damage to the native red as well as wider damage.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Im sure it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild in Ireland although I saw a misguided member of the i.s.p.c.a. do just that recently on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

junospider wrote: »
    Im sure it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild in Ireland although I saw a misguided member of the i.s.p.c.a. do just that recently on TV.
    It's not illegal. But it is considered a pest in this country. There are no rehab people in ireland taking in squirrels sadly. Red or grey. We don;t seem to have the numbers of people who get involved in local rehabbing as they do in the UK.

Bizzum wrote: »
    That is grossly overstating it. The greys haven't spread anything like the way they have in the UK. They don't attack reds. They are simply more resilient though the winters and can eat a wider range of things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Piliger wrote: »
    There are no rehab people in ireland taking in squirrI. ls sadly. Red or grey. We don;t seem to have the numbers of people who get involved in local rehabbing as they do in the UK.

That's not true. There are fully trained, licensed wildlife rehabilitators around the country, they've already been linked to and mentioned in this thread, and unless their website is lying, and unless some of my good friends who are wildlife rehabilitators are lying, they do rehabilitate squirrels:

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/squirrel.html
    That is grossly overstating it. The greys haven't spread anything like the way they have in the UK. They don't attack reds. They are simply more resilient though the winters and can eat a wider range of things.

I see no overstatement, only a post which explains that the greys are an invasive pest.... Just like you said yourself.
    Who said that greys attack reds? Where did you get this from in this thread? You're the first to mention it!
    And what about the UK? So, apparently they have bigger problems... Does that somehow diminish the fact that we have a well-recognised problem too? Or is it okay for us to ignore the fact that reds are gone from many previous haunts in Ireland, because sure, isn't it worse in the UK?
    Odd logic.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Publications/eWings/eWingsIssue37October2012/SquirrelSurvey2012/tabid/1286/Default.aspx

Is this grossly overstating it too?

(For the record, it was you and not I that mentioned greys attacking Reds. I simply didn't say that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I found a baby grey squirrel five weeks ago and when I called the Wildlife Rescue Centre over here I asked them twice what they would have done with it and I made 100% sure they would have saved it.
    The law, that I assume is a European law, states that all the grey squirrels that are captured must be euthanized, setting them free again is not allowed.
    They accepted to save it only because it was very young.
    But before they took it they asked me if I was able to take care of it at home.
    Had I promised not to tell anybody, they would have left it to me to keep in the house. I was in serious trouble with one of my three cats which was terribly sick and had no time for anything else, so I accepted to leave it to them.
    They gave me a record number and a phone number to get news of the squirrel in the following days, I only called once, it was fine.

This is to say that the law requires that they are to be eliminated with any method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Not any method, any humane method. You cant drown it for example and rightly so. You can shoot it, break its neck, use a priest ect....

I understand why someone would want to save the young animal but to be fair they are a pest and need to be controled. Your an adult op, you should be able to understand this

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    That's not true. There are fully trained, licensed wildlife rehabilitators around the country, they've already been linked to and mentioned in this thread, and unless their website is lying, and unless some of my good friends who are wildlife rehabilitators are lying, they do rehabilitate squirrels:

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/squirrel.html
    Having spent hours on the phone to and following up links on this site I can tell you that there are NO rehab people involved with squirrels in the republic. Even those within the DSPCA and nature preserves say that they sometimes try... but mostly fail. Organisations like this don't have the resources. The most successful people in the UK are individuals who volunteer and do it in their own homes/gardens.
    I see no overstatement, only a post which explains that the greys are an invasive pest.... Just like you said yourself.
    Who said that greys attack reds? Where did you get this from in this thread? You're the first to mention it!
    doing serious damage to the native red as well as wider damage

I was referring to this statement, which is completely untrue.

And what about the UK? So, apparently they have bigger problems... Does that somehow diminish the fact that we have a well-recognised problem too? Or is it okay for us to ignore the fact that reds are gone from many previous haunts in Ireland, because sure, isn't it worse in the UK?
    Odd logic.

I really don't know where you get all that nonsense from. I simply stated a fact "We don't seem to have the numbers of people who get involved in local rehabbing as they do in the UK."

aaakev wrote: »
    Not any method, any humane method. You cant drown it for example and rightly so. You can shoot it, break its neck, use a priest ect....

I understand why someone would want to save the young animal but to be fair they are a pest and need to be controled. Your an adult op, you should be able to understand this

I don't accept this kind of blind assertion. A pest is similar to a weed. It's all about point of view and context. Grey squirrels do NO damage to the environment and are not a problem for people or farmers or other animals.

They simply out compete another animal, the red squirrel, whom the establishment have decided is the more important because it has been here longer. What a wonderful scientific reason !

So grey squirrels are NOT a pest. They are simply the politically incorrect animal according to those ni power.

Your missing a key word there which makes all the difference, Native. Greys are pushing our native reds out so yes they are a pest. If they are allowed to keep breading without being controled then my kids will be talking about the extinct red irish squirell. Maybe your ok with that but id rather see reds

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

junospider wrote: »

That's true. It is illegal.

Your missing a key word there which makes all the difference, Native. Greys are pushing our native reds out so yes they are a pest. If they are allowed to keep breading without being controled then my kids will be talking about the extinct red irish squirell. Maybe your ok with that but id rather see reds
    The history of the world is one of continuous and repeated change. Species change. Species migrate and immigrate - they evolve and they die. Things change. This current politically correct obsession with keeping everything as-it-is is abhorrent to me, and completely counter to the way nature has lived for millennia.

The history of the world is one of continuous and repeated change. Species change. Species migrate and immigrate - they evolve and they die. Things change. This current politically correct obsession with keeping everything as-it-is is abhorrent to me, and completely counter to the way nature has lived for millennia.
    Irrielevant in this case because the grey squirell was introduslced here by people as a food source, it did not get here itself, nor could it...

Irrielevant in this case because the grey squirell was introduslced here by people as a food source, it did not get here itself, nor could it...
    Humans are part fo nature. We are just another species.

Hi,

I just want to thank the people who took the time out of their day to give me useful, well intentioned advice on how to properly treat the baby squirrel. Thank you very much. I hadn't a clue what to do and had never taken care of an animal like this, or as young as this before.

Unfortunately the squirrel is at a vet now that has a great reputation amongst the community both local and online where he will meet a quick and painless death instead of the cruel and unusual fate he would have had had I not been fortunate enough to come across him.

Apart from a number of extraordinarily unhelpful, uncaring and ill-considered posts above this post that surprisingly includes a moderator (of all people to post nonsensical rubbish) that only served to distract entirely from the point of my post- the people who were genuinely caring enough for the animal who PM'd me were of great help.

Thank again

Apart from a number of extraordinarily unhelpful, uncaring and ill-considered posts above this post that surprisingly includes a moderator (of all people to post nonsensical rubbish) that only served to distract entirely from the point of my post-

I can assure you that my posts on the topic were very well considered.
    It may not have been what you wanted to hear but such is life.
    Singling out a poster on the basis of her being a mod is curious. Do you expect a mod have an opinion of her own? Or is it that it you didn't agree with it?
    I'm often amused by the rose tinted view of 'rescue' I see on here.
    For argument sake OP what would you do if it was a rat instead of a squirrel?

• Advertisement

I didn't ask for your opinion on whether you think, or do not think, the squirrel deserves to live. I have no intention of entertaining you further 'Bizzum', and won't be replying to your posts again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement