Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Squirrel Saved

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

OP welcome to this sometimes self-opinionated animal forum. I gather that you were not experienced in the nature of the grey squirrel and came on here to look for advice. From what I can see you took on the useful advice given and did what was best. The outcome may not have been what you expected but at least you, as an animal lover, have taken the advice of a well intentioned vet and taken the best course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

F9Devil wrote: »
    I didn't ask for your opinion on whether you think, or do not think, the squirrel deserves to live. I have no intention of entertaining you further 'Bizzum', and won't be replying to your posts again.

Whether you intend entertaining me or not.... You are. Keep up the good work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Piliger wrote: »
    Having spent hours on the phone to and following up links on this site I can tell you that there are NO rehab people involved with squirrels in the republic. Even those within the DSPCA and nature preserves say that they sometimes try... but mostly fail.

I wonder are we at odds here? You said that there are no organisations which rehab squirrels. But there are.
    But is it that you really meant that there is nobody who successfully rehabs them? If so, this distinction was not made. And for the record, I have a good friend, a wildlife rehabilitator, who has returned squirrels to health. Either way, the rehab organisation we have is equipped and licensed to take injured squirrels, members of the public are not.

I was referring to this statement, which is completely untrue.

What? You're saying that the grey does no damage to the red? I think you interpreted that wrongly, to be honest. I don't think that poster meant "do damage" to mean that these animals get into sparring matches with one another, I think they meant it in the wider sense: competition, spread of disease etc. That poster has since clarified that this is the case.

I really don't know where you get all that nonsense from. I simply stated a fact "We don't seem to have the numbers of people who get involved in local rehabbing as they do in the UK."

It doesn't read that way at all. Yes, you spoke about the UK and rehabbers in a different post, but then in a post that you quoted, that mentioned nothing whatsoever about rehabilitators, nor the UK, you posted about grey squirrels spreading in the UK. You said nothing about rehabilitators in this. I'm afraid I'm not psychic, so if you mean to say something, please say it clearly, because I can make no sense of your quoting one post, then going off on one about something it doesn't say.

Apart from a number of extraordinarily unhelpful, uncaring and ill-considered posts above this post that surprisingly includes a moderator (of all people to post nonsensical rubbish) that only served to distract entirely from the point of my post- the people who were genuinely caring enough for the animal who PM'd me were of great help.

I don't even know where to start in addressing your post F9devil.

First of all, I am perfectly entitled to express my opinion, which you'll find is a considered one based on a long, long education in wildlife and animal-related matters. I would appreciate it is you would pinpoint precisely where what I posted was "nonsensical"? Please? I can't see it. Do remember that just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it "nonsensical", nor "rubbish". If that's the best you can come up with, then your argument is pretty weak.
    Similarly, everyone else is also allowed to express their opinions, as long as they stay within the boundaries of the forum charter, and within the bounds of decency, and the law.
    Some people expressed opinions which are different to yours... it is a discussion forum: you do not hold the monopoly on what others say when you start a thread.

Secondly, neither do you have the right to harshly criticise such posts in the way you did: if you have a problem with a post, you report it. You do not go off on an abusive tirade. As it stands, you did not report one of them.

Thirdly, the fact remains that it is illegal to release grey squirrels in Ireland. Your vet is euthanasing the animal because even if it was healthy, the vet would be breaking the law by releasing it, or abetting in its release. In other words, your vet did the equivalent to what others posted here, which you took to call "unhelpful", "uncaring" and "ill-considered". Did you release any of these adjectives on the vet? No? Isn't anonymous posting great!
    If you don't like the fact that there is a bounty on grey squirrels in Ireland, funded by our government. take it up with your local representative: but do not pour such bile on people who simply point out the laws surrounding this invasive species.

And fourthly, what on earth has being a mod got to do with this?
    "GASP! A MODERATOR said something I DISAGREE with! OMG! Will somebody please call Joe Duffy?" :eek::eek::eek:
    I would strongly suggest that you do not, ever, pull that chestnut again. It's cheap. It's unfounded. And it's utterly pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's illegal to park on the yellow lines. Millions do it anyway. The squirrel laws are daft and politically motivated. and I wouldn't pay them any heed.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    It's illegal to park on the yellow lines. Millions do it anyway. The squirrel laws are daft and politically motivated. and I wouldn't pay them any heed.

Aw c'mon Piliger, you can do better than that! Excusing the fact that a native species, and our woodlands, and all the wildlife that depends on said woodland, is in danger by saying that people regularly engage in Rules of the Road misdemeanours is.... Staggering. I'm afraid, for me in any case, you've just managed to weaken your argument to the point that I just can't take you seriously any more!
    Politically motivated? There may be political influence over the commercial damage caused by invasive species (and we have quite a few of them: mink, zebra mussel, chub, dace, asian clam, Chinese mitten crab, and in danger of many more in years to come... And not including the multitude of damaging invasive plant species), but that's a small part of it.
    To suggest that politics is the only reason we want to preserve our native species from the harm being caused to them by our irresponsible actions is ludicrous, and quite frankly insulting to the many, many people, voluntary and professional, who wish to preserve our native species for their own sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Hi,

I just want to thank the people who took the time out of their day to give me useful, well intentioned advice on how to properly treat the baby squirrel. Thank you very much. I hadn't a clue what to do and had never taken care of an animal like this, or as young as this before.

Unfortunately the squirrel is at a vet now that has a great reputation amongst the community both local and online where he will meet a quick and painless death instead of the cruel and unusual fate he would have had had I not been fortunate enough to come across him.

Apart from a number of extraordinarily unhelpful, uncaring and ill-considered posts above this post that surprisingly includes a moderator (of all people to post nonsensical rubbish) that only served to distract entirely from the point of my post- the people who were genuinely caring enough for the animal who PM'd me were of great help.

Thank again
    f

Fair play to you for trying. I certainly couldn't "dispatch":rolleyes:of any little creature, no matter how much of a threat they are to anybody...

Pity it had to meet it's end though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

After the unsympathetic 'advice' given to the OP by some on here, I would not blame them if next time they come across an injured animal they walked on by and left the animal to suffer. The OP is obviously quite young and admitted they did not know what to do in this situation. Even if they were wrong in what they intended doing I think any 'advice' could have been given in a much better way.

Niamho! wrote: »

Pity it had to meet it's end though..

It's no pity at all.
    An invasive menace should be dispatched, swiftly and humanely.
    Take Zebra Mussels as an example, should we allow them free reign?

Mo60 wrote: »
    After the unsympathetic 'advice' given to the OP by some on here, I would not blame them if next time they come across an injured animal they walked on by and left the animal to suffer. The OP is obviously quite young and admitted they did not know what to do in this situation. Even if they were wrong in what they intended doing I think any 'advice' could have been given in a much better way.

I thought I pitched my advice just right. I mean how do you dress it up? The right thing is not always the easiest thing.

Should every invading menace be ignored, or worse still welcomed with opend arms?
    This pink fluffy crap doesn't wash in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Boy will I be glad when the new Charter is amended. We are not the Nature forum nor the Hunting forum and lots of people in here are quite softhearted, including myself, who genuinely if push came to shove, would probably do what the OP tried to do and help the squirrel, whether it was the right or wrong thing to do.

Sometimes ..well....I just like all that "pink, fluffy, crap" and while it was in all honestly probably the best ending for it,this thread made sure the OP will never be back in here looking for advice again ! :o

Thread closed as I don't feel there's anymore to gain from it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement