Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stop in Dublin

Options
  • 12-10-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Potentially a stupid question but I'm rather useless when it comes to streets in my own county so setting me loose in a different county really is nothing short of negligence. Anyway my question is how far, on foot, is Vicar Street (the theatre) from the bus stop that JJ Kavanagh's usually stops at, that address being Eden quay, convention centre? Not only how long would it take to reach the bus stop on the quay from Vicar Street but is it a complicated route or fairly straightforward?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Google maps has a walking distance calculator and mapping. It says the distance is 2.9km and will take 38 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Great stuff, the last bus comes at around 11 and the show starts at 8 so that should work out fine, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Great stuff, the last bus comes at around 11 and the show starts at 8 so that should work out fine, thanks for the help.

I would be inclined to take a taxi after the show tbh, I wouldn't be keen on walking that route in the dark.

athtrasna wrote: »
    I would be inclined to take a taxi after the show tbh, I wouldn't be keen on walking that route in the dark.

Do you know if there are any taxi ranks in the general area? Or would it be a case of trying to flag one down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, the convention centre is on North Wall Quay. It is about a 8-10 minute walk from O'Connell St. Eden Quay is just beside O'Connell St. They are two different places. Bare that in mind if you are catching a bus.

When you leave the theatre, turn right and head back down to the main road. There'll be loads of buses passing by that will have you back in the O'Connell Bridge area in 5 minutes if you don't feel like walking, or splurging on a taxi. If you do feel like getting a taxi, there'll be loads passing by. They tend to congregate around theatres when shows are ending. Jurys Inn Christchurch is just down the road, so there will be loads there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Major distance between Eden Quay and the Convention Center OP. Eden quay is the quay just after O'Connell Bridge, should be a 20 or so minute stroll down Thomas Street, past Christchurgh, down Dame Street and up Westmoreland Street. You should have a fairly large crowd walking that route into town after the gig so it should be a nice and safe stroll for you.

Enjoy the gig :)

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, the convention centre is on North Wall Quay. It is about a 8-10 minute walk from O'Connell St. Eden Quay is just beside O'Connell St. They are two different places. Bare that in mind if you are catching a bus.

When you leave the theatre, turn right and head back down to the main road. There'll be loads of buses passing by that will have you back in the O'Connell Bridge area in 5 minutes if you don't feel like walking.

It's exactly that kind of mistake that could lead to disaster in Dublin and is making me a bit hesitant. I might try the taxi approach purely based on the fact that I can tell the driver where to go, just in case I get on the wrong bus to the quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lacerda

Potentially a stupid question but I'm rather useless when it comes to streets in my own county so setting me loose in a different county really is nothing short of negligence. Anyway my question is how far, on foot, is Vicar Street (the theatre) from the bus stop that JJ Kavanagh's usually stops at, that address being Eden quay, convention centre? Not only how long would it take to reach the bus stop on the quay from Vicar Street but is it a complicated route or fairly straightforward?

It's about a half hour walk.
    You can get a number 40 or a 123 on O'Connell street outside the Burger King on the eastern side of the street

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's exactly that kind of mistake that could lead to disaster in Dublin and is making me a bit hesitant. I might try the taxi approach purely based on the fact that I can tell the driver where to go, just in case I get on the wrong bus to the quay.

You can't get the wrong bus. All the buses that are heading into town, will be heading towards O'Connell Bridge.

You may want to contact JJ Kavanagh and get the exact address, or the name of the specific quay that the bus is departing from. Even if you get a taxi there, you'll still need to know where to tell the taxi driver to go.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    You can't get the wrong bus. All the buses that are heading into town, will be heading towards O'Connell Bridge.

You may want to contact JJ Kavanagh and get the exact address, or the name of the specific quay that the bus is departing from. Even if you get a taxi there, you'll still need to know where to tell the taxi driver to go.

Ye that sounds logical, thanks for the help, with the bus options and the option of a taxi I don't think I'll take the risk walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

OP should note that the outbound/return stop will be on the other side of the liffey, around by the big ulster bank building near Tara st, would be a bit longer walk (slightly) than from Eden quay to Vicar st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Lacerda wrote: »
    It's about a half hour walk.
    You can get a number 40 or a 123 on O'Connell street outside the Burger King on the eastern side of the street
    There's also the 13.

Advertisement