Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a super sensitive mouth

Options
  • 12-10-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I have recently been given the opportunity to ride a little mare belonging to a friend. She is a lovely little horse, but her mouth is really sensitive, she's probably the most sensitive mare I've ever come across.
    She is currently in a happy mouth loose ring snaffle - I think its the one with the roller center, but not 100% on that - and she is happy enough in it, but the corners of her mouth still get a bit marked when she's ridden. The bit is fitted correctly, and a few people have checked it so no problems there.
    She has also been looked at by a dentist in the last few months so no teeth issues either!
    She has to be ridden mostly with the seat and legs, and goes best when you have very little contact with her mouth. If you hold her too much her head will shoot up, back hollows and she will take off, so you get a sharp reminder to soften your hands! Despite this, even with minimal contact, her mouth still ends up a bit sore if I do more then about 20/30 mins of work with her.
    The same issue has occurred with other riders on her.
    I know I need to work on remembering to ride with softer hands, and she actually comes together really nicely when you hold the reins at the buckle and wrap your legs around her so she has nowhere else to go.
    I hate getting off her after a schooling session and seeing that I have caused her mouth to rub...I'm really trying to remember to soften, and haven't had an issue the last two times I've ridden her, but we're hoping to hunter trial soon and I'm worried I'll hold her instinctively and cause this again. Does anyone have any suggestions for addressing this problem?
    Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

sorry but it dosen't sound like the bit fits your mare - it shouldn't rub the side of her mouth. I would try a well fitting fixed ring bit like an eggbutt or full cheek. I use a sprenger eggbutt with a lozenge and would recommend. You could use something like the horse bit shop which lets you try before you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bitless bridle??

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Was this mare out of work before you starting riding? It sounds like you have investigated all the possible options to rule out any discomfort.

My mare had lifelong bitting issues, overly sensitive mouth (we did eventually discover an underlying cause despite regular dentistry :( )

However the behavioural issues were ingrained. The more contact you take up, the more she rushes. Sharper bits caused her more discomfort and aggravated her behaviour. She went best in a simple loosering curved peanut snaffle, but unfortunately, this doesn't afford very much control. Her mouth is so fussy, that even the addition of a running martingale is too much 'interference' on the reins.

I tried out a Kineton noseband to great success. Don't be deceived by what you might read or be told about them. It is not a severe choice as long as it is fitted correctly. It diverts pressure from the bars of the mouth onto the nose when you take up enough contact. My mare has never been happier and we had no problems with control. You can use it with your current bit.

th_DSC_3724-2.jpg
    Click to enlarge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 horselady123

Loose ring snaffle bits can make a horse uncomfortable because sometimes it pinches the side of the mouth when it rotates - like when you take up contact. Have you tried bit guards or different bits?

I had a similar situation with one of my horses. I change from a direct pressure bit, in that case an eggbutt snaffle, to a leverage bit. I used a rubber mullen mouth pelham, but you could even try something like a kimblewick. He's a completely different horse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

We had a problem recently with a horse getting a little sore on the side of her mouth and we started putting vaseline on where the rubbing occured and it has completely resolved the issue.

Same case, bit was fitting correctly but she has very delicate skin in general and any tension causes the mouth to get sore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

Rubber bits can be a good choice, like any of those light and wide(ish) bits you would use on a young horse. if the bit pinches the sides of the mouth just add rubber rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

My mare's mouth is super sensitive. I got a Hippus bit for her and it's the best bit of tack I've ever bought. They are VERY expensive though but imho worth it. You could try emailing the maker of the bits, Leith Ryan, a master dentist for advice/tips on alternative options for bitting.

A cheaper option is the Meyler Comfort Snaffle. The ones with the wide barrels on the mouthpiece are very gentle on a horse's mouth. Avoid the ones with the fixed rings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

the bit could be a bit on the small side. I had problems with this a few years ago and it was a small bit which was the problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Gemosi

Loose ring bits have a tendency to rub / pinch some horses - I have a mare that has to have bit guards on for a loose ring. So try those, or an eggbutt version of the same bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Try a Hackamore but only if you have very good balance and very good hands as they can be very severe in the wrong hands.
    With a Hackamore you will find out if your mare is hollowing because of pain, she will do it with the hackamore if it is not mouth related.
    I have seen many horses bleed from the side of the mouth but it never caused them to fight the bit. In fact the main fear of constant bleeding from the side of the mouth is that it will harden and become less sensitive than desired.
    Most hollowing problems come from the back and if you mare is thought to tracknup from behind she will drop her head ans soon realise that it is a much better position to be in.
    There is a very good bitless bridle known as a Dr Cook. Worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Would have to agree on the suggestion of a Myler bit - if they are fitted properly are amazing!

Also look at getting some Bit Butter - great stuff! Lasts longer than vaseline & horses love it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭fredweena

What about the bit wrap that some racing trainers use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Try a hackamore first and see how the mare is reacting after a few days.
    Hollowing of the back is not always associated with a bit; I would say seldom associated with a bit.
    A horse experiencing that sort of pain will take a grip of the bit and run against it.
    I would prefer to dwell on the back, the saddle and the rider.
    The bit is blamed far too often.
    Properly ridden the horse should be turned by the legs and stopped by the legs as I used to tell some students, for want of a better term, the only reason your pony has a reins is so that I can catch it when you fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Thanks a mill for all the suggestions, put Vaseline on and had no sore mouth so that worked brilliantly, even did a few small jumps and no problems on the sore mouth front!
    timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Try a hackamore first and see how the mare is reacting after a few days.
    Hollowing of the back is not always associated with a bit; I would say seldom associated with a bit.
    A horse experiencing that sort of pain will take a grip of the bit and run against it.
    I would prefer to dwell on the back, the saddle and the rider.
    The bit is blamed far too often.
    Properly ridden the horse should be turned by the legs and stopped by the legs as I used to tell some students, for want of a better term, the only reason your pony has a reins is so that I can catch it when you fall off.

I would agree with this, but the trouble is that as long as you have the reins on the buckle, and the leg on, she rides brilliantly! She drops her head, brings her legs in under her tracks up and rides so sweetly!
    her owner had her back looked at initially as she was hollowing all the time, and there was a lot of work done to her (I think mostly around her poll actually, but not 100% on that as I wasn't riding her at the time). After this we discovered she is a perfect ride when the reins are dropped.
    Then the second I start to pick up contact(very gradually!!) she takes off. Its almost as if she's expecting to be yanked in the mouth or something.
    She is absolutely controllable by the seat and legs, sometimes it takes a bit longer to downward transition then I would like but we get there eventually, but I think she'll be a little dinger of a dressage horse so I want to be able to ride her into a contact!
    I'm a little wary of a hackamore, as she is 12, and is such a sensitive little horse, I worry that a change that drastic (pressure where she has never had it before!)would set her back further.
    Shes a challenge in all aspects, just this weekend I actually got a bit teary because she let me brush her forelock without a ten minute head tossing session first!
    As for blaming the rider, I 100% agree it is probably me! She does the same with others on her, but I'm by no means an exceptional rider, and am only back in the saddle a while after a 4 year break so there are definitely positional issues there!
    She is a total mystery to me, I've never seen a horse like her, so appreciate all the help and suggestions, thanks a million!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

TG1

What is she like to lunge in side reins. Does she accept a contact then.

At 12 she maybe set in her ways and it will be all about you adapting your riding to her way which can be hard and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

As far as I know she has been lunged in some form of "lunging system" along the lines of a Pessoa, and apparently lunges like an old pro.
    I have never seen her lunged, or lunged her, as her owner is out of action at the mo so when I get down to see her I always end up riding her so she's ridden occasionally!
    Now that you say it though, it would definitely be worth seeing how she goes on the lunge myself, so I will try that next time I get down to her.

Advertisement