Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 week old, gassy

Options
  • 12-10-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

He's been fine up until now but the last few days, he's been crying a lot and has trouble getting up wind. He'll drop off after a bottle but after a half hour, he's up and screaming - often until his next feed. We try winding him with little success; on the shoulder, layed belly-down on the knees and just sitting upright. I've tried the colic cradle but this is ineffective as well. We've tried infacol but it doesn't seem to be working.

Any tips or suggestions?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Colief worked great for us on the second baby. If that doesn't help I'd be bringing him to the doc, it could be reflux.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Infacol takes some time to work best I would persevere with that.

I know the "burp button" can be hard to find sometimes but you just have to try to get the wind up before he falls asleep or else there'll be pain and crying. I know it's impossible sometimes though especially at this age. My little fella was like that and we used to try to keep him upright on our shoulder after a feed even if he had fallen asleep.

Also are you burping him a few time during the bottle? Especially the first few ounces if they are really hungry they can gulp at the start and take in more air.

I used avent bottles but I also had a few dr browns bottles which a used for the night feed, found they let in less air - they're fiddly though so didn't like using them all the time.

I remember another thread about windy colicky babies might try to find and bump for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Not sure if you are doing this already so ignore if you are (I am assuming you are solely bottle-feeding)

I have found that I have to wind my 9 week old every few sucks of her bottle (2oz top-up). She would guzzle the whole lot down in one if we let her and then the wind would be horrendous. Little and often. Feed her some... give her a break... feed her some more... wind her... and repeat until bottle is finished. from my experience so far it is SO much easier to wind her after breastfeeding than bottle feeding. No cries nor nothing with the breastfed wind. Crying is so painful (for all involved) with the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Breastfeeding isn't an option, unfortunately.

We have the anti-colic tommie tippee bottles along with some standard ones; I haven't really found a difference between them, tbh!

When feeding, I try burping him after each ounce but, lately, he just starts going hysterical when I take the bottle away - and I'm afraid he's gulping in more air and worsening the situation so I give him the bottle to settle him.

We only started giving the infacol on friday, if there's no improvement during the week, we'll have to go to the gp.

Captain,

My lo goes mad when you take the bottle off her also, but more often than not it's because she has wind. I'm finding that a lot of things are trial and error and you'll eventually find out what works for you and your baby. Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks!

We thought we had everything sussed out with everything going smoothly but this has thrown us a bit since it happened! You can't get too cocky, I guess. :D

Thanks!

We thought we had everything sussed out with everything going smoothly but this has thrown us a bit since it happened! You can't get too cocky, I guess. :D

Every day, when we think we have everything sorted, she goes and throws us a little curveball which keeps us on our toes. Think that's gonna be the way of things for the next 18 or so years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My little fella went through the same thing around that age. I thought it was reflux. I preserved on the winding and he did the same thing as your...screaming when i stopped the feed to wind him.

Good news is that he grew out of it after a couple of weeks. It was exhausting and traumatic until then though. Hang in there.

Advertisement