Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home buying - dodgy practices

Options
  • 12-10-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am buying an apartment and am very new to the property market and its rules. I am trying to gather as much information as possible and have read on yelp.ie some reviews of estate agents, where reviewers mentioned "dogdy practices of other agents".

Would people with experience buying property in Ireland share their knowledge of dodgy practices of various professionals involved (agents, solicitors, surveyors, management companies etc), how to recognize them, what red flags to watch for, and what can be done in defense?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nhealymoore

Did you buy a place in the end?

I have had a LOT of experiences with dodgy agents in particular.

Bully tactics seem to be common practice especially among male agents (I'm sure there are female culprits too but i havn't met any yet). To deal with this, make sure you have a max price in mind for each property you're interested in and STICK to your guns! Don't let an agent run you up because of a bull story about more bidders or minimum counter bid. If you don't get the place, so be it and move on.

<mod snip>

Solicitors are ok, I usually ask around for recommendations or check reviews online before contacting them for a quote.

Same with surveyors, they're usually ok as long as you check them out online or get a recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did you buy a place in the end?

I have had a LOT of experiences with dodgy agents in particular.

Bully tactics seem to be common practice especially among male agents (I'm sure there are female culprits too but i havn't met any yet). To deal with this, make sure you have a max price in mind for each property you're interested in and STICK to your guns! Don't let an agent run you up because of a bull story about more bidders or minimum counter bid. If you don't get the place, so be it and move on.

<mod snip>

Solicitors are ok, I usually ask around for recommendations or check reviews online before contacting them for a quote.

Same with surveyors, they're usually ok as long as you check them out online or get a recommendation.

Naming individuals and companies is not permitted on boards.ie
    Please read the charter and do not do so again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement