Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatability issues

Options
  • 12-10-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm feeling slightly confused and frustrated here, and would appreciate your throughts.
    • My current laptop, purchased in 2009, runs on Windows Vista, and is still in reasonable running order. Probably to be replaced in the next year or so.
    • I have Word and Excel XP installed, which I bought with an older laptop, and which are perfectly adequate for my limited home useage of these applications. I didn't purchase Powerpoint at the time.
    • However, I now suddenly require Powerpoint. This really forces me to upgrade my Word and Excel also, as it doesn't make sense to purchase Powerpoint alone.
    • However, Microsoft Office 2013 is not compatible with Windows Vista. So, purchasing Office 2013 would force me to replace the entire laptop :mad:.
    • Microsoft Office 2010 is compatable with Windows Vista, but seems to be quite difficult to acquire. It cannot be purchased in Currys/PC World, or from the Microsoft site. There is available on Amazon an Office Home and Student 2010 key card, but it also states this is only for use on a new machine, with Office 2010 preinstalled . This also costs $103, so I'm wary of taking the risk.:confused:
    • So, for the sake of getting the use of Powerpoint, I seem to be looking at buying an entire new laptop and Office 2013 immediately.
    I am suddenly feeling that Microsoft have way too much power in this market.

Or, am I missing something here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

office365 might tide you over for a bit ?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The answer to your last question is probably a resounding "Yes".

If you need to produce slides / presentations for your own use, download a free office suite, e.g. Lotus Symphony from IBM, Libre Office from The Document Foundation, Apache Open Office from Open Office Org / Sun, etc, etc, etc as suggested here many times.

If you need to exchange (?) presentations with colleagues use a template and import it into the presentation software.

Having slept through too many long, boring & ineffective "PowerPoints", I've reached the conclusion that no-one needs PowerPoint, Most people seem need adequate training in how to get their point across briefly and effectively (presentation & communication skills), some medium to act as an aide-memoirs / graphical representation of their ideas and training on how to use AV equipment without Windows getting in the way. Too many colours, too many words, far too many transitions, too many desktops, sound-effects and type-faces aaaarrggghh!!

MS Word can do "presentations" very effectively.

Oh and I hate those presentations where the presenter makes bullet points out of whole sentences with shouty type-faces; it looks very unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Citygirl1 wrote: »
    I am suddenly feeling that Microsoft have way too much power in this market.

Well, then take this power away from them and liberate yourself. ;)

Softmaker's FreeOffice is a fine alternative (probably with the best MS Office compatibility of all alternative office suites), including Textmaker (word processor), PlanMaker (spreadsheets) and Presentations. It is blistering fast and easy on the system resources, thus making it the ideal choice for older computers. FreeOffice can also be used portable (e.g. on a USB stick).

You can save your documents, spreadsheets and presentations in Microsoft compatible formats (doc, xls, ppt).

Before wasting your money, see if any of the freebies will suit your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Guys, thanks for your feedback.

I have just downloaded Freeoffice, which really looks very useful! So, I can start playing around with this immediately.

Mathepac - To clarify, I will be using the software as part of my Toastmasters training on effective presentation skills. This training specifically focuses on avoiding many of the common errors which you have noted, and I have seen also.

If you have a problem with the format of my original post, I'd prefer if you said it directly. Personally, I consider bullet points as useful means to lay out my thoughts logically, in e-mail or Word documents. I would not use full sentences in a presentation. Smilie faces seem to be commonly used around here, but again not suitable for presentations. I agree the font size was too large and have manged to reduce it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If you have a problem with the format of my original post, I'd prefer if you said it directly. Personally, I consider bullet points as useful means to lay out my thoughts logically, in e-mail or Word documents. I would not use full sentences in a presentation. ....
    But again what's important is how your audience perceives and receives the layout you present them in a post, document, email, presentation, lecture or speech. It's all about effective communication and removing blocks. You seem to fall into a common presenter's trap; "If I think it's useful / helpful / pretty, then they must."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I have just downloaded Freeoffice, which really looks very useful! So, I can start playing around with this immediately.

Just as a uick heads up there, Softmaker Office will save files in its own format by default. If you don't want to save your files in a format compatible with MS Office by default, you can change this in Tools > Options > Files

RFv7Ivz.jpg

Advertisement