Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run to the Hills

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Thursday
    Was feeling rough enough Today with what I was hoping wasn't the start of a chest infection. It felt like I was after 40 major the night before when I woke this morning but once I dosed up on paracetamol and cough medicine it eased off throughout the day. I knew I was gonna have a long day so I threw the gear in the van and the plan was to stop off at the track in the evening. Finished up a bit earlier so hit the track and plan was 4min hard/3min easy to total 10k. Did 1ml warm up and stripped to 2 top ayers and started the session. Was hoping to be around 5.50 pace for the 4mins but just couldnt get to the target pace.Breathing was laboured and I just couldnt push on. After the first rep during the 3min easy I was absolutely frozen and could feel the cold cut through me every time I turned into the back straight as the track runs close to the river on this stretch. Threw on the tracksuit top again and decided to lower the pace slightly and keep the session consistent and warm :)
    Happy enough at the finish as I was worried I should have rested and cleared what I thought was the start of a chest infection but tonight I feel great and the chest is ok again after the session.
    6x 4min w 3min easy.
    Easy reps were between 7:50 - 8:20s
    4 min pace
    1. 6.01
    2. 6.04
    3. 6.15
    4. 6.17
    5. 6.18
    6. 6.12

Pace is well down from the 800 session last week but good to have got it done and feeling ok now. Easy miles Tom night. 2 mile warm down
    9mls

Friday
    Torrential rain and wind all afternoon so abandoned the plans for an outdoor run and signed into the gym instead and did 5mls easy on the treadmill at 8min/ml pace. Not a fan of treadmill running as its just fairly boring and I sweated buckets during it as well. Hit the steam room and Jacuzzi after which made up for the running.
    5mls

Saturday
    Plan was 20min easy with 20-40mins T pace and 20 min easy. Decided to split the diff and do 30min T pace (6:28s). Was originally gonna head to the track but due to work commitments I stayed closer to home and met one of the lads in the field. Did 2.5mls warm up and straight into it. Really struggled with grip on the field and didn't wear spikes as I was planning to run over 1hr. After 10mins my average was 6:35m/m and it wasn't going to get much better. Abandoned the session and ran 2mls easy to a straight section of roadway to finish the pace work. Went out 5mins into the wind and rain and as pace was a lot worse on a better surface I turned back and finished in 6:40 for the 10mins. Added on 4mls easy pace to increase the mileage for the session and settled on 20m T pace instead of the planned 30mins.
    2.5 mls easy
    1.5mls 6:35m/m pace
    2mls easy
    1.5mls 6:40m/m pace
    4mls easy
    Didn't have it Today pace wise. Couldn't hit the target.
    11.5mls

Sunday
    Late night Sat night and a few beers but met up with some of the lads this morning and did 8.75mls easy in 69mins. Comfortable running and perfect to soak out the beers.
    8.75mls

Weekly Total 53.25mls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Solid training, good stuff.

Solid training, good stuff.

Thanks. Just need to keep saying NO over the next few days to the wine/beer/food! Following your training log as well... best of luck with it. I can def relate to the Auldman thing and I hope to start using the age card soon when I can't hit my targets :D

Monday
    Missed a planned early session so made the most of the lie in and got out after the wind and rain died down. No watch so just did 3m out and back easy pace. 6mls

Tuesday
    Another easy run of 6m before heading out with the family. No watch but took in the usual route with a few laps of the field. Strong winds but dry. Did some foam rolling after as the left calf was a bit tender but its more from balancing it on a high stool than any excess running :)
    6mls

• Advertisement

Thursday
    Plan was sets of 1ks at between 3:41-3:44 I pace w 3min jog recoveries so headed to the field at lunch time after a badly needed lie in this morning and this time had the spikes in the car. Weather was perfect as there was no wind/rain. Met up with a clubmate and did 2mls warm up with him before I started into the 1ks. Did 5 and added an easy 25mins around town after a change of footwear at the end to bring the mileage to just over 9m for the session.
    1ks were: 3:35 3:38 3:44 3:41 3:39. Felt ok throughout.
    9mls

Friday
    Just easy running in the wind. 72min.
    9mls

Saturday
    Changed the Q session with next weeks session so just did steady miles instead of including 5 x 5min T pace. Will do this next Sat instead. Had company and did a comfortable 15mls in under 2hrs @ 7:50 pace. Ice on patches of the road in places and cold in shaded areas. Overall a really enjoyable run.
    15mls

Sunday
    3 of us headed out this morning. Ice on the road kept the pace nice and easy. No watch but we covered a 6ml route.
    6mls

Weekly Total:51mls

Need to increase the weekly mileage next week. Back to a normal routine will help.

15wks to Rotterdam

Monday
    Got out during a dry spell for 6mls in 45min/7:30 pace.
    6mls

Tuesday
    Weather was very bad Tuesday and I had arranged to meet 2 lads for a few miles on the road. We took the option of an indoor run instead and did 5 sweaty miles on the treadmill instead of braving the elements. Followed it up with a core session (plank/sit ups/press ups/extended plank/weight assisted chin ups).
    5mls

Wednesday
    The plan for Wed was 1k, 1200 or 1ml intervals w 3-5min jog recoveries depending on which session. Didn't have a very late night last night and didn't overdo it with wine/food so arranged to head to Bandon instead and run the 5ml race as the forecast wasn't too great for the rest of the day and I felt a race would make it easier to get through the session as I was doing it on my own.
    Did a warm up and as I made my way up the hill to the start I chatted with a club mate who was going for sub 31min so that was my target as well as I had never got under 31min before. Also my pace for the intervals was 6-6:05pace with the jog recoveries so I was happy to target 6:10/6:12 pace for the race without the recovery jogs.
    Mile 1: First mile has a small incline and then its a very fast decline. Tucked in behind a group and felt ok making my way downhill. 5min 49s
    Mile 2: As the course turned into the town on mile 2 I moved ahead of the group of 4 I was running with and suddenly found I was isolated and running into a strong wind with no shelter. My clubmate was about 30yds ahead and I just couldn't close the gap so I just kept the pace consistent until we reached the hill. 6min 36s. Lost time here that I hadn't expected to.
    Mile 3: Came to the hill that was a steady climb for 1ml. Nothing too steep but still a nice pull and you had to work a fair bit harder. I lost more time here and finished mile 3 in 6:54. Just didn't have it in the legs going up the hill. Breathing was fine and I wanted to push on but the legs were just not responding. Damn legs!
    Mile 4 & 5: Great finish to the race as mile 4 is downhill and again mile 5 is a fast mile. Pushed on here and passed 2 runners before the 4ml mark but didnt have a big finish to gain back any time. Heard footsteps as I neared the finish so sprinted the last few meters.Mile 4: 6min 3 sec. Mile 5: 6min 6sec. Finished in 31:29. 6:18 pace.
    An official but soft PB for 5mls. It wasn't a great race tactically or physically but a great training session. Also got an old fella 2 O/45 prize which was unexpected.
    Easy warm down after on sore legs.
    8mls

Thursday
    Did 4 easy recovery miles in the morning and did 6.5 easy miles that evening with company. Thigh was tender on both legs so did some core and foam rolling after. 8m/ml pace
    10.5mls

Friday
    Got out early this evening with company and we did some very wet and windy miles. Lashed rain for the majority of the run but it was easy running and no bother once we got over the first mile and out of the headwind.Just over 8m/ml pace.
    7mls

Saturday
    Headed to the track to complete the session from last week that I moved around. Plan was 2m WU and 5x5min T pace w 1min rest +1hr easy. Group of 4 of us completed the session. Easy warm up and onto an icy track. Completed 2 x 5mins before we were moved off the track due to the ice so we completed the session on the road/park. The 1hr easy was as stated..easy. My target for the 5min T was 6m:26s. 2nd and 3rd splits were a bit off after moving from the track to the road so picked it up for the last 2. Good session and a lot more interesting than just plodding along for miles as I would have done on all previous marathon progs.
    5x5min splits:
    1. 6:25
    2. 6:30
    3. 6:34
    4. 6:14
    5. 6:10

13.5mls

Sunday
    Had arranged an early run Sun morning but as the weather was so bad we hit the gym instead and ran 8 warm/sweaty miles on the treadmill.
    8mls

Weekly Total: 58mls
    Another increase in weekly miles planned for next week to get back on target.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Made a decision late in the afternoon to head to the track and do the speed session with the club instead of doing the Q session Tues or Wed. Needed motivation and what better way then in a group on the track where there is no hiding place :(
    The planned session was 3 x 2 miles w 400 jog recovery and then 2 x 1 ml again w 400 jog recovery. Did 1 ml warm up. The lead man was targeting 6:05 av pace so I moved in 1 lane and settled in with a group of 3 more and toed the line. It was very windy but where it slowed you up on one side it gave you a nice breeze on the home straight. The first 2 miles were tough but once we settled in it got a little less painful. The legs started to tire on the last 2 miles so I pulled out of the first 1 x 1 m and just did an easy mile myself. Fell back in for the last mile repeat. Finished up with 800 mtr warm down. Glad to have completed it but felt it in the legs after.

3 x 2 miles
    Rep 1 12min 21s - (Mile 1 6:15 Mile 2 6:06)
    Rep 2 12min 23s - (Mile 1 6:17 Mile 2 6:06)
    Rep 3 12min 31s - (Mile 1 6:22 Mile 2 6:09)
    1 x 1mile - 6min 05s
    10mls

Tuesday
    Got out in the morning as I had a late job so did 4 very easy miles.
    Met up with the lads this evening and did 7mls in 8:10 pace. Legs were still a little tired. Will build up some easy mileage until the next Q session Sat.
    11mls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

That's a savage session, fair play.

pconn062 wrote: »
    That's a savage session, fair play.

Thanks pconn. Must bring the foam roller to bed w me tonight to fix me legs!:)

Wednesday
    Had another gap with work so ran easy miles with company this morning. Nice run and the legs are feeling ok again. Started to tire after a hill at mile 3 but felt ok again after another mile. Rain started just as we finished. Nice to have it completed at that stage. 66mins.
    8mls

Thursday
    Got out for 10mls easy. Still feeling a little tired in the legs so didn't overdo it. Weather was great. 8.10 pace.
    10mls

Friday
    Had a late night with work last night so a long day overall. Legs still tired on the easy run this morning. Didn't get going until I was 3 mls in. Just did 6m 8m/ml pace. Have a Q session in the morning so once that's completed I'll reacquaint myself with the couch and H CUP rugby for the weekend. Probably need to get a rub out next week as its long overdue with the increase in mileage over the last few weeks.
    6mls

Saturday
    Plan was 2m easy + 2 x 10min T w 2min rest + 1hr easy.
    Legs felt good again this morning. Did this session with 3 of the lads travelling to Rotterdam. We headed out on a quiet road and after the warm up it was straight into the session. First 10min included a nice pull half way through. Second was on a flat section. Target was 6'26 pace.Didnt rest for the 2 mins as it was baltic so we stayed warm and kept moving. Felt ok throughout. We did just over 1 hour easy at the end. Nice session.
    10 min pace - 1. 6'29 2. 6'20
    14.5mls

Sunday
    Waited till the rain eased off and got out for 5mls easy this afternoon. Left the watch at home and just took it handy.
    5mls

Weekly Total: 64.5mls

Next week the plan is to reduce the mileage and back to max mileage again the week after. Might swop the weeks around so the easier mileage is the week of Dungarvan.

Might swop the weeks around so the easier mileage is the week of Dungarvan.

Nice session there!

I'm also doing Dungarvan, but I'll be making sure that not only race week, but also the week after the race is also 'well managed' as 10 miles is a beast of a run and takes a good recovery.
    Be prepared to alter your 'week after' plans to allow ample recovery - its all about the long game (cant believe I just said that).........

Nice session there!

I'm also doing Dungarvan, but I'll be making sure that not only race week, but also the week after the race is also 'well managed' as 10 miles is a beast of a run and takes a good recovery.
    Be prepared to alter your 'week after' plans to allow ample recovery - its all about the long game (cant believe I just said that).........

Ya.. good call. I didn't even think about the week after...Def easy running. You are going very well...another nice 20mls last Sat with TBL. What kind of mileage will you peak at over the next few weeks? Weeks are flying by!

Ya.. good call. I didn't even think about the week after...Def easy running. You are going very well...another nice 20mls last Sat with TBL. What kind of mileage will you peak at over the next few weeks? Weeks are flying by!

Don't know tbh, the plan is a bit loose as it gives options for each run.
    I'd say maybe 70? You are right, weeks are flying by, it'll be taper time in 8 -9 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

See both of you in Dungarvan, it's not an 'A' race for me, so I'll stick with the normal plan until Thu and ramp back up on the Wed post race.
    I'm looking forward to the feed afterwards - one of the best in the country.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    See both of you in Dungarvan, it's not an 'A' race for me, so I'll stick with the normal plan until Thu and ramp back up on the Wed post race.

Not the main thing for me either, the plan I'm following has a race that weekend, so it suits, but the Monday after has a 7 x1k which I think I'll skip :) and get back to normal on the Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Very interesting. Doing Dungarvan/Ballycotton/Rotherdam also.

Your 3x2M session I presume is goal threshold pace? Have you a 3x3M planned? Now if you are doing your 2nd mile at 6:06 or whatever then what pace are you doing your mile repeats ? I also notice you have no long runs 18+ listed. Am I missing something?

rom wrote: »
    Very interesting. Doing Dungarvan/Ballycotton/Rotherdam also.

Your 3x2M session I presume is goal threshold pace? Have you a 3x3M planned? Now if you are doing your 2nd mile at 6:06 or whatever then what pace are you doing your mile repeats ? I also notice you have no long runs 18+ listed. Am I missing something?

Hey ROM..Hows it going? That 3x2ml wasn't really in the plan - I just fell in with a club session for a bit of motivation last week. The plan was mile or 1k repeats totaling 5mls that week. I am new to all the terminology and just getting into the prog. After reading a lot here over the last few months I just went with the JD plan A and I am sticking to it as much as possible. The week after Dungarvan it ramps up a bit as it enters phase 3 so there is a lot more intensity and an increase in the long runs (although they incorporate a lot of T pace running). This weekend the long run is 25% of the total weekly mileage so I hope to max out at 70-75mls for the week so the plan is 18mls Sat. I wouldn't be an expert on the prog as its my first time trying it but so far I feel great and injury free which is nice for a change.
    I plan to run Dungarvan and another half/ten mile mid Feb with the main goal being a solid time in Ballycotton so I will have some idea one month out of what I can attempt in Rotterdam.
    Best of luck with the training ... see you in Dungarvan.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Best of luck in Dungarvan. Great course/race/feed!

13 weeks to Rotterdam

Monday
    Headed out at lunchtime. 10mls in 76min. Did some core/plank/stretches after for 15mins.
    10mls

Tuesday
    AM - Had company for a run in the rain this morning. Nice run. 8mls easy in 66min
    PM - 4 mls easy this evening. Feeling good with 13 wks to go. There is the urge to push on during the easy runs but I am happy enough at this stage just hitting the targets on the Q sessions and building mileage on the other days with easy running. Definitely more miles/training than previous marathon progs.
    12mls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Hey ROM..Hows it going? That 3x2ml wasn't really in the plan - I just fell in with a club session for a bit of motivation last week. The plan was mile or 1k repeats totaling 5mls that week. I am new to all the terminology and just getting into the prog. After reading a lot here over the last few months I just went with the JD plan A and I am sticking to it as much as possible. The week after Dungarvan it ramps up a bit as it enters phase 3 so there is a lot more intensity and an increase in the long runs (although they incorporate a lot of T pace running). This weekend the long run is 25% of the total weekly mileage so I hope to max out at 70-75mls for the week so the plan is 18mls Sat. I wouldn't be an expert on the prog as its my first time trying it but so far I feel great and injury free which is nice for a change.
    I plan to run Dungarvan and another half/ten mile mid Feb with the main goal being a solid time in Ballycotton so I will have some idea one month out of what I can attempt in Rotterdam.
    Best of luck with the training ... see you in Dungarvan.
    Signed up for mallow as it will be last long run.

Wednesday
    Headed out in the morning with no definite plan in mind...just easy miles. It was supposed to be a Q session as I was hoping to do these on Wed/Sat of each week but was feeling tired this morning so went for 6+ miles instead. After 4mls the rain started drizzling down so I just plodded along. Finished up with 9mls in 71mins. Felt a lot better after the run.
    9mls

Thursday
    If I felt tired yesterday I was absolutely Bo!!ixed this morning. A late night with work so a long day on the feet and just over 6 hrs sleep was not ideal preparation. I was not looking forward to the session. Plan was 2m WU + 4 x 10-12min T + 2m WD. First time since I started the log that I was doubting myself before I left the house. I was gonna just do easy miles but I decided to do the warm up first and see. Did the warm up easy and stretched for a few mins. Decided to do 2 x 10 mins first and see how I felt. Dropped the water and jacket and headed out on the road for 10mins at target pace of 6'26. The route out has a nice pull at the end and was into a slight wind so finished the first in 6m39s pace. On the way back didnt push on too hard on the down slope as I just wanted to hit the target pace. 2nd 10min was 6m23 av pace. At this stage I was feeling ok again so decided to finish the session but on the third one as I started the climb the legs just started to ache so I pulled up at 8mins. The pace had drifted out again to 6m35s. Did the last one back in 8mins again and finished up in 6m29 av pace. 2m WD.
    First session in a while I just didn't feel great. Will get through the long run Sat with v easy running Fri and Sun just to hit the target weekly mileage. I will take 2 days off next week as the mileage is down to around 50mls for the week and will get a rub out before Dungarvan. And plenty of sleep as well!
    9.5mls

rom wrote: »
    Signed up for mallow as it will be last long run.

Was looking at the date for Mallow but I have 22mls that weekend so will give it a miss. Great race/course though.

Friday
    6mls easy with no watch. Pace was around 8'20/30s and the legs felt great again after.
    6mls

Saturday
    Late night at a function Fri night so a late start Sat morning. Had company for 15mls and it was a comfortable run in great weather and good company as the miles flew by. Took in some of the Ballycotton course on route. Did 15mls 7'29 pace/1hr 52min and then finished off the last 3 miles myself to cool down in 24m30s.
    18mls

Sunday
    Met the lads late this morning and did 8mls recovery at a v easy pace. 68mins.
    8mls

Weekly Total: 72.5mls

• Advertisement

12 weeks to Rotterdam

Monday
    Took a rest day Today. Easier week ahead.

Tuesday
    Met up with 2 of the lads running at the weekend. Plan was 70mins easy. Nice run and the miles flew by as we chatted. Pace was fairly consistent throughout.
    9mls

Wednesday am
    The plan was 1k/1m repeats with 3-5min rests for 5mls. Changed it to 10x400s w 60 sec jog recovery instead and a few miles WU/WD.
    Beautiful morning so headed out the road from home and did the repeats on a straight & quiet stretch of road. Just kept them consistent. Quads were a bit stiff after but have a rub down booked in for Thursday evening.
    1. 84s
    2. 84s
    3. 84s
    4. 82s
    5. 84s
    6. 84s
    7. 84s
    8. 85s
    9. 84s
    10. 83s
    6.5mls

Wednesday pm
    Met 2 of the Rotterdam crew this evening and did some easy miles with them on part of their run. Bit colder than this morning and pace was nice and easy.
    5.5mls

Advertisement