Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run to the Hills

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Thursday
    Got a rub down and took another rest day as I had a lot on so the run just didn't happen.

Friday
    8mls easy to loosen out the legs

Saturday
    5mls easy while the small fella was at hurling training.

Sunday
    Dungarvan 10. Headed down early with the brother in law and parked up at the start line. Did just under 2 mls WU and sat in the car out of the rain and wind till it was time to head to the start. The target was to set a PB (sub 64 min) and run consistently so I headed out for the first mile fairly steady. Found myself a bit back as we made our way around the first loop through the town and I recognised some runners who I knew were targeting 65-66 mins so I upped the pace a bit during mile 1. Started to move up through a few groups as we made our way to mile 2 along the main road in tough weather conditions but once we turned off right onto the country roads it got a little easier out of the wind. Kept pace with one or two runners and we kept pushing on slowly and passed through a few groups. Feeling strong at this stage and turned at mile 5 ~ 31min 55s. Had planned to be under 31:30 at this stage but was happy with the pace and the legs felt great.The second half felt ok and managed to maintain a consistent pace through miles 6-8. Took on water at each station. Once I got onto the main road two runners who I had passed around mile 5 passed me and looked strong. Tucked in behind and put the head down till the finish. 63:14. Happy out as its a PB :) and gives me something to work on for Ballycotton all going well.
    2ml warm down and we headed home to help out with a birthday party/meal. A few glasses of red wine felt good last night but back to reality today (with a sore head) and a few big weeks ahead as its phase 3 of the plan and includes a lot of marathon pace runs and T runs midweek with big mileage. Looking at another race in mid Feb (maybe Tralee 10) and then Ballycotton in March. Feel a lot more confident after yesterdays race so will plan to have a good cut off the next race and go out hard from the start.
    Great organisation by West Waterford yesterday and a really great race.

Splits were:
    1. 6:27
    2. 6:26
    3. 6:23
    4. 6:16
    5. 6:23
    6. 6:18
    7. 6:17
    8. 6:18
    9. 6:18
    10. 6:08 63m14s

14mls

Weekly Total:48mls (short of the weekly target:()

Monday
    6mls easy at 8'10 pace.
    6mls

Tuesday
    8mls easy. Didn't bring a watch and just ran nice and slow. Over 8min pace. Comfortable.
    8mls

Wednesday
    Plan was 2m easy + 4 x 1ml T with 60sec recovery + 5min easy + 3 x 1ml T 60s recovery + 2ml easy. Met one of the Rotterdam crew before lunchtime as we both had a gap with work. Was good to have someone to run this with and as we both raced Sun it was gonna be a tough session. Planned T pace was 6:26.
    Did 2mls warm up nice and easy and started at the 1ml mark on the clubs 5 ml race route. Decided to run the course and tick off the miles as we went. The road still has the mile markings on it so it was a case of just getting there without having to check the watch. The course has a few inclines but you get it back straight away after. Splits for the miles were:
    1. 6:25
    2. 6:22
    3. 6:24
    4. 6:22
    Took the 5min easy at walking pace and took on water. Started into the 3 x 1ml sections but just ran from 1ml to 2ml mark and back/out.
    5. 6:25
    6. 6:26
    7. 6:25
    Did 2mls very easy after.
    Was glad of the company Today as it was a head wreck doing it so soon after Sun. Glad to have it completed.
    Dropped the small fella to hurling training at 6 and went for 4 easy miles to loosen the legs. Right calf was a bit tender tonight so spent time on the foam roller after. Easy miles Tom.
    15mls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Thursday
    Got a rub down and took another rest day as I had a lot on so the run just didn't happen.

Friday
    8mls easy to loosen out the legs

Saturday
    5mls easy while the small fella was at hurling training.

Sunday
    Dungarvan 10. Headed down early with the brother in law and parked up at the start line. Did just under 2 mls WU and sat in the car out of the rain and wind till it was time to head to the start. The target was to set a PB (sub 64 min) and run consistently so I headed out for the first mile fairly steady. Found myself a bit back as we made our way around the first loop through the town and I recognised some runners who I knew were targeting 65-66 mins so I upped the pace a bit during mile 1. Started to move up through a few groups as we made our way to mile 2 along the main road in tough weather conditions but once we turned off right onto the country roads it got a little easier out of the wind. Kept pace with one or two runners and we kept pushing on slowly and passed through a few groups. Feeling strong at this stage and turned at mile 5 ~ 31min 55s. Had planned to be under 31:30 at this stage but was happy with the pace and the legs felt great.The second half felt ok and managed to maintain a consistent pace through miles 6-8. Took on water at each station. Once I got onto the main road two runners who I had passed around mile 5 passed me and looked strong. Tucked in behind and put the head down till the finish. 63:14. Happy out as its a PB :) and gives me something to work on for Ballycotton all going well.
    2ml warm down and we headed home to help out with a birthday party/meal. A few glasses of red wine felt good last night but back to reality today (with a sore head) and a few big weeks ahead as its phase 3 of the plan and includes a lot of marathon pace runs and T runs midweek with big mileage. Looking at another race in mid Feb (maybe Tralee 10) and then Ballycotton in March. Feel a lot more confident after yesterdays race so will plan to have a good cut off the next race and go out hard from the start.
    Great organisation by West Waterford yesterday and a really great race.

Splits were:
    1. 6:27
    2. 6:26
    3. 6:23
    4. 6:16
    5. 6:23
    6. 6:18
    7. 6:17
    8. 6:18
    9. 6:18
    10. 6:08 63m14s

14mls

Weekly Total:48mls (short of the weekly target:()

Just went a tad under 63 myself. Was not a fully effort due to high mileage again this week. I am very interested in the Tralee 10. Though it looks like its collect the bib the night before BS to force people to stay over. Do you know whats the deal with this. Is it a new race as I can't find last years results? 30 Euro. They are having a laugh. Carrigaline 5 for me so with a very long run leading up to it.

rom wrote: »
    Just went a tad under 63 myself. Was not a fully effort due to high mileage again this week. I am very interested in the Tralee 10. Though it looks like its collect the bib the night before BS to force people to stay over. Do you know whats the deal with this. Is it a new race as I can't find last years results? 30 Euro. They are having a laugh. Carrigaline 5 for me so with a very long run leading up to it.

Congrats on run last Sun. Just saw that now about the bib collection. Bit of hassle if you do have to go down the night before. Discussed it coming back Sun from Dungarvan and it seemed like a good idea but after yesterdays session its not ideal recovery to be doing long sessions 3 days after a race and reading some advice here I might just stick to the plan as there is a lot of MP running anyway. Keep building till Ballycotton and have a good blow out there instead. Ill have a better idea after next weekend. Carrigaline 5 is a good race and fast finish to the course.

Thursday
    Easy run. No watch so just ran by feel and it was slow. Calf on the right leg was still tender after the run Wed so did some more foam rolling. Took an anti inflammatory as a precaution and worked on the spot for 20 mins by digging in the fingers/massaging.
    5mls

Friday
    More easy running and the leg felt like new again after. 8'10 pace.
    8mls

January Total: 273.5mls

Saturday
    Missed out on meeting the Rotterdam crew early Sat morning who were doing 5 x 5min T pace/15min T Pace as part of the long run. Headed out after 10am myself and decided to change the plan to just doing time on the feet instead, mainly as I didn't want to inflame the leg again and after the race last Sun and the session Wed. I needed slow miles to recovery fully. The wind was unreal and once I turned after 10mls it was a struggle to get under 9min mile pace for over 5 miles. Have never ran in conditions as bad. Slowed to almost walking pace in the open & exposed areas due to the strength of the wind. Finished up in 2hrs 31mins. Legs felt good after.
    18mls

Sunday
    Had a family party last night. Didn't overdo it with alcohol and got to bed early considering it was a late night for everyone else. Did just a few easy miles while the small fella had soccer training.
    4mls

Weekly Total: 64mls

Next week we have a wedding in Kilkenny City mid week so i'll need to sneak the running gear into the suitcase. Will stick to the program over the month of Feb. 13mls marathon pace next weekend as part of the long run and wont race again till Ballycotton in March.

• Advertisement

Monday
    8mls in 62mins. Out early in the evening. Easy miles and legs felt good.

Tuesday
    Had a gap with work this morning so got the run in early. 10mls in just under 80mins.

Wednesday
    Met up again with one of the Rotterdam crew Wed morning. Plan was 2x15min T w 3min recovery and then 1x10min T. Did 2.3mls WU and went out a route with a nice climb for 1ml but it was with the wind. The wind was against us and fairly strong on our return but we kept the pace consistent on both. Target was 6'26 pace but we finished both in exactly 6'29 pace/2.31mls for each 15mins. Felt it in the quads after the second 15mins so pulled the session and just finished up with easy miles. 2.5ml WD.
    ~9.5mls

Thursday/Friday
    Forgot totally about running/marathons and kicked back and just enjoyed the wedding we were at from Wed - Fri. Total over indulgence in food/wine/beer. Got out around Kilkenny castle to soak out some beers Thursday morning for all of 25mins and soaked what was left in the hotel jacuzzi after. A very late finish on both nights but nice to forget running for a few days.
    3mls

Saturday
    Easy miles in windy weather. The plan was to do 13mls MP Sat morning but put if off till Sun due to the severe weather warnings (and the body not being able).
    7mls @ 8'10 pace

Sunday
    Contacted one of the lads Sat and his plan was 16/17mls at 7'30s/40s Sunday. Asked him to come with me instead as I really wasn't up to this run. Mentally just dreading the effort. Plan was 12/13m MP w 2mls WU & WD so took the easier option and did 12mls. Took in a hilly route for the first 8mls and chatted as we ran. Plan was to stay in 6:50-59 range and just keep it comfortable after the weeks excess. Finished 12mls in 83:30s/6'58 pace. Just glad to have it completed even if it wasn't totally to plan. 1ml WU/1.5mls WD. Legs feel great this evening...just need to sort out the rest of the body!!
    14.5mls

Weekly Total: 51.5mls
    Weekly target is slightly lower than it should be. A week to forget and move on. Plan is to peak on weekly mileage next week.

Monday
    5 miles easy this morning. No watch just ran by feel.
    Headed to the club session this evening as it was on astroturf and was a break from running on the road. Stayed on the outer loop and did a steady 7mls/7'40 pace.
    12mls

Tuesday
    Met up with a group from the club. Weather was cold but no rain or wind. Nice run.
    7mls / 7'32 pace

Wednesday
    Plan was 2mWU + 20min T + 10min easy + 20min T + 2mls WD
    Finished up work at lunchtime but after driving home in rough conditions and hearing the weather alerts I just grabbed the gear bag and headed to the gym. Not a big fan of the treadmill but when there is no other option and I didn't want to push the session out it was the only alternative to not running at all Today. Did a quick check on Google to see I needed to run at 15kph pace on the treadmill for my T pace 6'26. Did 2mls WU in over 16mins and took on some water and straight into it. Sweated buckets on the first section so slowed to a walking pace initially on the 10min easy and took on more water. Jogged again slowly and started the next 20mins. Got through the second part ok but mentally it was very tough as the heat in the room and the sweat was a headwreck. Also just not comfortable on the treadmill (but it was better than being blown into Kerry!!!). Took a slower warm down for 2 mls. Finished both T sections in 4.985K / 20mins.
    Quick change of top and managed some stretches/plank afterwards.
    11mls

Thursday
    Easy miles without a watch. Just the usual route. Non eventful run.
    8mls

Friday
    Had a gap at lunchtime so got in another run and again the pace was easy.
    57mins.
    7mls

Saturday
    Met up with 3 of the Rotterdam crew. I hate early morning runs! Black coffee and a toasted bagel at 7:15 and met the lads at 8am and we headed off in dry and sunny conditions. Took a GU expresso love double caffeine gel with me to try out (rocket fuel).
    With the next 3 weekends ahead incorporating T pace/M Pace and racing Ballycotton this weekends long run was all about time on the feet. The plan was 20mls but pace was not an issue and we just ran really easy and enjoyed the rain free weather. Twice on the outward journey we had to go cross country and over walls and into gardens to keep moving forward as the road was totally blocked and badly flooded. Ran into a stiff breeze for 14mls and finished up in 2hrs 50mins. Felt good throughout. Took on water at 8mls Lucozade at 14mls and didn't need or feel like the gel. Will take them on the 15MP miles in 2 wks. Enjoyable run.
    20mls

Sunday
    Got out after lunch Today and did just over 64mins. Legs feel good. Happy with the weekly mileage although most of the runs were at an easy pace.
    8mls

Weekly Mileage: 73mls

• Advertisement

8 wks to Rotterdam

Monday/Tuesday
    Took a rest day Monday and did some new stretching(AIS - tks Stazza) and some core work (sit ups/plank).
    Went for easy miles Tuesday and the legs felt really good. The days rest and stretching definitely helped.
    7mls 54mins

Wednesday
    With the kids on a mid term and a day off Today it was nice to have a lie in and get the run done early before lunch. Plan was 2mls easy+ 8 x 5min T w 30sec recovery + 2mls WD. Headed out to the usual spot on the road to do the session. Dropped the jacket and water on a bench after the WU and straight into it. Bit of a pull after 3mins and into a slight breeze. Light rain but that was welcome after doing a similar session last week on the treadmill. The return 5mins was a lot easier but held back and just kept them all as consistent as possible. Kept to the 30sec recovery except for the start of the 5th rep when I took on some water. Very happy with the session as it felt controlled and the legs felt really good after. Did another 20mins of stretching when I got home.
    Av pace for 5mins (distance was .77-.78ml):
    1. 6'25
    2. 6'27
    3. 6'28
    4. 6'27
    5. 6'29
    6. 6'30
    7. 6'24
    8. 6'29

10.5mls

Thursday
    Easy miles Thurs evening with company. No watch.
    6mls

Friday
    Met 2 of the Rotterdam crew who were doing a long run Fri afternoon instead of Sat. I arrived earlier and got 2ml warm up and 2x10min T completed myself. (6'29 & 6'32 for 2 x 10mins). Headed out with the lads around Blackrock castle by the harbour. Nice route and fairly exposed to a stiff breeze. Did 10mls in just under 79mins. Had to do 15mins T after but struggled into a strong wind on the second mile. Mile 1-6'34 pace and mile 2 6'40 pace. Stopped on a hill at the castle with 14mins completed. Did 2ml warm down easy. Legs were heavy after. Ideally I should have had this session a day later to allow a full recovery from Wed session which probably explains why I didn't nail the times in the session and the legs were tired afterwards as I headed to work.
    19mls

Saturday & Sunday
    Legs still feeling it over the weekend. A late night Sat and busy with work didnt help. 6mls & 7mls easy.
    13mls

Weekly total: 55.5mls.

Monday
    Took a rest day. Daughter had the flu and I wasn't feeling great Sun evening. Took the usual man flu cure - hot chicken soup with 2 grated garlic cloves added. Tastes rough but does the business. Just did some stretching Mon night.

Tuesday
    Met the usual suspects and the 3 of us did just under 9mls. Nice run. 8m/m pace.
    9mls

Wednesday
    I had a long day at work and ended up in the city at around 6pm this evening. Had the gear bag with me in the van so headed to the UCC running track. The plan was 4 x 10min T w 2min rest. Just as I started the warm up the rain got a lot heavier but I had no other slot to do the session this week so it was head down and drive on. First 10mins were just a bit fast so pulled it back over the next 3. The wind and rain was fairly relentless but it had no effect on my running.
    Just under 2ml WU and 1.5WD. Was supposed to rest 2min between sets but walked briskly as it was too wet to stand around. Started again after 1min 30sec. Happy with the session as it was comfortable running.
    1. 6'20
    2. 6'26
    3. 6'26
    4. 6'28
    ~10mls

Thursday/Friday
    Bit of a disaster running wise. Had an early start Thursday and didn't get home until nearly 11pm so no chance for a run. Friday was a fairly busy day in work as well and I had arranged to meet one of the lads for a run that evening. He ran into traffic problems on route and I had to be home again soon after he arrived so it was just a quick 4mls.
    4mls

Saturday
    Plan was 2mls WU+ 15mls MP + 2WD. I had chatted to one of the lads in the club who had trained for a marathon in Rotterdam a few years back and he did his MP runs on a nice stretch of road near Youghal. No major hills and the road was normally free from traffic so headed there with one of the lads early Saturday morning. Dropped water at the 4ml mark and drove back for the 2ml WU. Light rain but once we got going it cleared up and the road was very quiet so pretty ideal conditions. We didn't hit the MP straight away but we weren't too concerned as we would pick it up as we got into it. I am normally a slow starter anyway and especially in the mornings!
    After mile 3 we hit the pace and after a quick 20 sec stop for water at mile 4 we ploughed on. Arrived into Youghal and turned at 7mls and retraced our steps. Grabbed water again at 10mls. I had the usual breakfast of a toasted bagel and black coffee and again throughout the run I didn't even feel like I needed a gel or even if I could stomach one. Need to sort this out over the next 4 wks and start taking some as I need to before the marathon. After mile 12 I had a dull ache in my glute so I eased back until we hit home. I was tired at the end of the 15mls but glad with how it went overall. Have the same session again 3wks out from Rotterdam so will try and get the splits more consistent the next time out. The glute is a slight concern as it flared up in London last year at mile 15 and slowed me down in that race. I have physio booked for Thursday and I will start increasing the stretches/core work and concentrate on strengthening that area.Work was mental Thurs/Fri so that is a factor as well as there was a lot of lifting involved.
    Splits were:
    1. 7'11
    2. 7'00
    3. 6'55
    4. 6'52
    5. 6'53
    6. 6'53
    7. 6'54
    8. 6'51
    9. 6'55
    10. 6'49
    11. 6'48
    12. 6'57
    13. 7'00
    14. 7'09
    15. 7'17

19mls w 15mls 1h44m22s

Sunday
    The club had an event Sunday so I was busy helping with the set up and stewarding. Got out late in the afternoon for 6mls easy. Legs felt good.
    6mls

Weekly target was 50mls so it was just as well things went pear shaped on a quiet week. Total miles:48

Monday
    Headed to the club and fell in with one of the groups who were doing a nice fartlek session.
    8mls

This week is another peak weekly mileage week (70) but I am also doing Ballycotton Sunday so will do some easy miles after the race Sunday to build the miles and try to manage the rest of the week as much as possible so I can be someway fresh at the start line Sunday.

Tuesday
    Had a gap in the afternoon so took the gear with me to the city and headed out from the center towards Ballincollig and back in around the city. Stopped in Togher at a park and did some stretching/core. Really nice afternoon. Ran easy - 8'10-8'20 pace.
    11mls

Feb miles: 225.5
    YTD: 499

Wednesday
    Got out in the morning for 5m easy and again later that evening for a wet 4.5mls.
    9.5mls

Thursday
    Woke up with a head cold so dosed up for the day and just spent time stretching in the afternoon before a session of physio. Got the glute sorted during the session and bar the head cold I was feeling great and still hoping to race Sunday.

Friday/Saturday
    Full blown manflu kicked in Friday so spent half the day in bed. Still in a heap this morning so no chance of running Ballycotton Tomorrow. This has been the only week since October when I started logging that I have had a very bad week so it's not a total disaster. I'll rest up and aim to hit the targets for the next few weeks. The 15@MP in 3 weeks will be the main focus now that I can't race Tomorrow.

Sunday
    Still not recovered Sunday morning so didn't get out for any run. Headed to Ballycotton with the wife and kids and watched the race around the 4ml mark.

Weekly mileage: 28.5

Monday
    Headed to the club session Monday evening and although numbers were very low as most raced Sunday it was perfect to ease back into it. Easy miles and fell in for a few fast laps at the end. Felt ok after. Back on track.
    7mls

Tuesday
    Very easy miles Tuesday morning(5) and met up with the lads Tuesday evening and added some more(7.5). All over 8min pace.
    12.5mls

Wednesday
    The plan was 1hr easy + 6 x 5-6min T w 1min rest + 15mins easy. Parked up near the school and ran the hour easy out onto the club 5 mile route. Felt sh!t for most of the run even though the pace was easy so was not feeling confident about the next section. Also doubting myself after the low mileage last week. Decided on 5mins for the 6 loops and after a change of runners and a quick stretch I started off on the outside track on the field. Felt a lot better as the session progressed and stayed fairly consistent throughout.Walked slowly for the 1min recovery. Did over 16mins WD after just to round off the mileage.
    61min easy - 7.7mls
    6 x 5mins at 6'26 pace. 0.78/79 mile.
    1. 6'21
    2. 6'21
    3. 6'29
    4. 6'26
    5. 6'27
    6. 6'27
    2ml WD easy

~14.5mls

Thursday
    Easy run 5mls.

Saturday
    No run Friday due to work commitments. A very late night at a function so wasn't looking forward to the session Saturday morning. The plan was 2m WU+4x5min T 1min rest+ 10mls easy + 4x5min T 1min rest + 2m WD. Had company with one of the lads heading to Rotterdam so we decided to do the T sections on grass and the rest on the road. Got through the 4x5mins and we headed out on the road taking in a 5mile loop twice so we could get water as it was very warm and sunny. Took a gel (GU double caffine) even though I didn't feel I needed it but have to start over the next 3 weekends. Found the last 4 x 5mins a bit tougher but I suppose that's the aim of the session. Light stretch afterwards.
    5 min splits:
    1. 6'28
    2. 6'29
    3. 6'30
    4. 6'30
    10mls easy 81mins
    5. 6'30
    6. 6'30
    7. 6'29
    8. 6'32

20.5mls

Sunday
    Easy miles just to flush the legs. Did 25mins stretching/plank afterwards.
    5mls

Weekly mileage: 64.5mls
    Happy with the week after the low mileage last week and the manflu. Feeling good this evening and only 2 more weeks before taper. Usually do porridge evey other morning of the week but feel great fuel wise on the long runs with the toasted bagel/goats cheese, beetroot juice and black coffee so will stick with this for race day. Will try 2 gels on the 22mls next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great session on Saturday BR, looks like you're in great shape.

TbL

Great session on Saturday BR, looks like you're in great shape.

TbL

Tks TbL. Happy with the training and just 2 more hard weeks before taper so all going well so far. Really enjoy following your global training... you are building up nicely again.

• Advertisement

Monday/Tuesday
    Didn't get a chance to run Monday with the small fella taking part in the local St. Patricks Day parade that afternoon and tied up with family stuff all day and work that evening. Got out Tuesday for an easy run. No watch so just ran on feel.
    8mls

Wednesday
    Took the gear with me as I was in the city for most of the day. Met up with one of the lads again and our plan was (36min E + ~16min T) x 2 + 2mls WD. We headed to the track in UCC and took off out the straight road for the warm up. Nice straight section of roadway and full of early evening joggers. Once we had the warm up complete (4.5mls) and we arrived back to the track we got straight into the T pace. Having done these on grass and the road over the past few weeks the track is just so much easier as the pace tends to be a lot more consistent and controlled. After doing the T sections last Saturday we noticed a discrepancy between our watches as the splits were called at 6'26s but when I logged the details from my watch over the weekend my times were all in the 6'30 range. Tonight we had a difference again between our watches so we both tracked our own splits. Felt strong on both T sections and although I was a bit too eager on the first T section I hit the target on the second. Slow warm down on the track after. Enjoyed the session as it was 16mls but with the break up between T + E pace the time and miles flew by.
    Splits were:
    4.5mls easy + 2.5mls @ 6'19 pace
    4.5mls easy + 2.5mls @ 6'25 pace
    2mls WD
    16mls

Thursday
    Just ran an easy pace this aternoon to flush the legs. No watch and ran by feel. Picked up another pair of Asics Gel Nimbus as well and will use them on the long run this weekend. On my 3rd pair now since October and find them great having ran & trained with Kayanos and DS Trainers over the previous few marathons.
    6mls

Friday/Saturday/Sunday
    Another disaster of a weekend just 2 weeks after losing a few days from the flu. Had planned to rest Friday as the target for the week was 58mls and a long run Sat & recovery miles Sunday were going to ensure I hit the target comfortably. I got hit with a stomach bug Friday evening that had my head on a toilet bowl Friday night and in bed all day Saturday. Arranged to meet one of the lads Sunday afternoon to try for easy miles but I was still in a heap and nauseous so a run Sunday wasn't an option. No miles since Thursday and a weekly total of 30mls. Fcuk!

Monday
    Had to head to work this morning but I had an early finish so after I collected the kids from school I set off in wet and windy conditions and the plan was 20mls. The run went ok as I was taking motilium like they were smarties for the last few days. Downloaded a few podcasts (Marathon talk/Second Captains) and headed out on a familiar 10 mile out and back run. I didn't have a watch as one of the lads used it in Mallow yesterday but I wasn't too pushed on time/pace as I just wanted the miles and time on the feet. Just used the iPhone for time. Got a lucozade at a garage at the turn and I had half a nutri grain bar. Again fueling was not an issue on the long run. The plan Friday was to try more gels but with the stomach in bits it just wasn't an option. Quads were a bit sore after the run so I spent 15mins on the foam roller after. Not sure how the impact of missed miles on 2 of the last 4 weeks will affect my marathon but I won't think about it until I do the last session Saturday which includes some MP miles. Ill give the Q session Wednesday a miss to give the body a chance to recover fully and just do easy miles for the rest of the week.
    19 days till race day!
    ~20mls in 2hrs 39min

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

BR,

Well done on getting the LR in, especially in ****ty conditions.

I haven't run since Thursday and I wasn't sick only a serious case of sudden demotivation!

A couple of rest days (enforced or otherwise) shouldn't make that much difference to you.

TbL

BR,

Well done on getting the LR in, especially in ****ty conditions.

I haven't run since Thursday and I wasn't sick only a serious case of sudden demotivation!

A couple of rest days (enforced or otherwise) shouldn't make that much difference to you.

TbL

Tks TbL. Just a disaster after being sick 2 weeks ago but I suppose on the positive side its better this week and not 3 wks time. Hope your motivation picks up! With all the travel you had its hard to balance everything.

Tuesday
    Easy recovery miles. Body getting there slowly again.
    5mls

Wednesday
    The Q session was easy miles and T pace running for a total of approx 11mls but I skipped it as I wasn't fully recovered so just did an easy 5mls in the morning and headed out in the evening after dropping to hurling training. Did 2mls easy and ran a few 800s on grass just to put some effort into the legs but at no stage was it any pressure. 6 x 800s all at 2'59 - 3'01 with 70-80sec stretch recovery. 1ml easy back to the hurling field. Felt ok again after the 2 sessions as they were easy running.
    11mls

Had the yearly check up including bloods/ECG last week and all good to go. Some MP + easy miles this weekend.

Thursday-Sunday
    Got out Thursday for 5mls easy. Mental day Friday with work so no run. Met the lads early Saturday morning and due to the missed miles last week I decided against stacking up the miles and just wrote off the previous weeks mileage. The plan was 55mls so stuck close to the target. Also didn't chase a lot of MP miles Saturday for the same reason. I didn't want to take 2 steps forward and 3 back the following week so we just did 2m WU + 6mls 42mins + 9mls ~7:40 av pace. Really enjoyed the session and it didn't take too much out of me. Didn't gel again as I just didn't feel the need to. Tried an electrolyte tablet with the bottle of water half way around and this was ideal.
    Legged it home after the run and took the family to the Aviva to see the legend BOD play. Massive stadium. The match wasn't great and Munster were second best but a great day out for the kids. Stiff legs after 4+ hours in the car.17mls
    Weekly Total: 58mls
    March Mileage: 206mls - should have hit 270+ but had 2 half weeks.
    YTD: 705mls

Monday
    Headed to the club session and fell in with a group doing 600/800/1k/800/600 at 6'50 pace. Did a slow WU and WD.
    6.5mls

The plan is a short session Wednesday and easy miles for the rest of the week with 12/13 v.easy on the weekend. Will also add in stretches each day. 12 days!

Tuesday
    Met the lads and did some easy miles. Good company and nice stretch in the evening.(weather not the legs)
    7mls 56mins

Wednesday
    Raining in Cork all day so once I finished work I headed to the treadmill. Did 2ml WU and 15min T x 2 with 3 min rest. Set the treadmill at 15km/hr and did 3.75k on each. Sweated buckets but the session was ok. Did a 5min plank/sit up session after.

Thursday - Sunday
    Just did 6.5mls easy Friday and only 9mls Sunday. Avoided a planned early start Sunday morning as the forecast was poor and took advantage of a lie in instead. Headed out at lunchtime and did 9m at an easy pace.
    Weekly Total:38 miles

Didn't run Today but added another stretch/core session instead for 30mins this evening. Will do some easy miles tomorrow and Wednesday. Have a rub down Wednesday evening and we fly out Friday evening. I might head to the start Saturday morning and do 1 mile out over the bridge and back so I know what lies ahead Sunday morning. Overall happy enough with how the past few months have went training wise. I missed a few sessions towards the end with Flu/Bug and should have completed the important 15m MP session 3 wks out so I don't know what impact it will have on race day. Was hoping to race Ballycotton as well to give me more of an idea if sub 3 is achievable. At this stage I'll aim to turn just under 1:30 and see what happens. The forecast is also looking good (13-16 deg). Looking forward to it now....and the session afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Looking forward to it now....and the session afterwards.

Sounds like there's no chance of you missing the planned post-marathon session!
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

What pace you planning to go out in Sunday? I'll be in pen D btw.

Advertisement