Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run to the Hills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sounds like there's no chance of you missing the planned post-marathon session!
    Best of luck.

Thanks Yaboya...months preparing for the race but years of stamina built up for the after party!!!

rom wrote: »
    What pace you planning to go out in Sunday? I'll be in pen D btw.

Pen D as well. I'll go out handy...7's for 2-3 miles. Weather looks ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

All the best this weekend.
    The sub 3 hour club may have a few new members this time on Sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck at the weekend. Some great training been going on.

May Jack Daniels guide you to a sub three on Sunday (and a hangover on monday :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good luck with the sub 3!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Best of luck BR, hope you nail it

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck on Sunday, you've been flying so relax into the race and you'll nail it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck. Go nail it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good luck BR

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Best of luck. Is there live tracking for this yoke?

• Advertisement

cianc wrote: »
    Best of luck. Is there live tracking for this yoke?

I thought there would be but can't find it??? I'll check at the expo tomorrow and post the link.

How did you get on?

How did you get on?

DNF... Pulled out injured just before 15 miles. Ill do a report during the week. Enjoying the beers!

DNF... Pulled out injured just before 15 miles. Ill do a report during the week. Enjoying the beers!

Sorry to hear about the DNF, but do enjoy the beers.
    Your training has been very good. You'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sorry to hear about the DNF, but do enjoy the beers.
    Your training has been very good. You'll be back.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Hard luck. Stopped a few times going round to get sick and thought about dropping out but had no idea where I was so that was a good thing. You'll be back. Didn't see anyone on boards or from the club ( was about another 5) reach there goal so it was a hard day all round.

Rotterdam Marathon Sun 13th April
    I started this log in October originally with the plan to motivate myself and put some pressure to compete the training (JD Plan A) and overall I found the log definitely did help especially on cold nights when I just wanted to sit by the fire, there was the added incentive to get up, get out and just get it done. I also found following Jack Daniels was a nice change from previous plans I had followed and although fairly challenging at times I found the variety of the sessions appealing as the more mundane sessions of just plodding out the miles were replaced with some T pace/M pace running which broke up the session and also added some confidence once the session was completed. Although I didnt follow it to the letter and missed the important 15m at MP 3 wks out ( I also had this in my schedule 2 wks out!!! – I didnt start the plan a week earlier to allow for any sickness and I actually had two half weeks due to manflu and a vomiting bug) I felt I was there or there abouts come race day. As a result of a glute problem back in March when I ran 19m w 15@MP I also didnt complete the 15m session at the planned pace.I started slower and had to slow up at 13mls. This particular missed session played on my mind on race day.
    On the week of the race I pulled back on the mileage (in hindsight I feel running a few more sessions and sticking to the plan would have been better as I felt every niggle on the few miles I ran Saturday morning in Rotterdam) and I had some really great sleeps throughout the week. A quieter week than normal in work was also a help and come Friday I felt really fresh and ready to go. There was a group of 7 in our crew so we headed from Cork Friday evening and got the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam. We met Sean Hehir at the ticket desk in Amsterdam and he travelled with us. A real gent and he got his ears burnt from us all questioning him on diet/training plans/footwear/race strategy and even Clare hurling. A top class athelete and a sound lad as well. A large crew from St Finbarrs also made the trip.
    Checked into our Hotel (a small travel lodge just near the bridge in Rotterdam where club members have stayed over the past few years). Nice accomodation and run by a husband and wife who would cook whatever we wanted and around our schedule which again was a great bonus.
    Woke early Saturday morning and had breakfast similar to what we had planned the following morning on race day and we headed out before 11am for 2.5 very easy miles out over the bridge. A quick shower and we headed to the expo to get our race numbers. Stuck the head into Paddy Murphys after lunch and caught the end of some of the football before we headed back and relaxed for the afternoon. Pasta all round Saturday night and The Masters Golf was the preferred TV Saturday evening as we lay about waiting for Sunday morning.

Race Day
    Breakfast at 7:30 and again I stuck to the usual diet of beetroot juice/toasted bagel and goats cheese/black coffee. This has worked on each long run and never caused any problems throughout the year. We headed to the start line after 9:30 and as we approached the pen (D) we noticed a lot of people in there had E stickers on their numbers which was a problem later on tying to pass people on the first 2 miles. Left the lads and moved as close as possible to the start. Small bit of a panic as I felt I had left it late but once I settled in it was all ok. “You’ll never walk alone” was sung (its LFC overkill everywhere at the moment) and once the cannon sounded we were off. My plan was to head out in 7s and once I settled I planned to hit the pace on mile 3. Unfortunately mile 1 was 7’45 due to huge congestion but I wasn't overly concerned as I knew I would make up the time over the following few miles. My plan was to hit 10 miles in 68min...the same for the next 10 and then give it everything for the last 6 miles.Took a planned get at 6mls and an electro tab at 10m. I reached 10miles in over 69 mins but again I was ok with the time as I was feeling strong and very relaxed. From mile 12 I started to fell a familiar tightness in my glute/hip on my right hand side and it started to slow me down slightly. Took another GU gel at 12m. I had a similar episode in London last year and I took anti-inflamatories from mile 15 to get me home. After a physio session and rest after London I hadn't had a major problem with the glute again until I completed the 15m MP session 5 weeks out from Rotterdam and almost 1 year since London. After getting a rub out in March and working on some strength exercises I thought I had eliminated the problem but here I am just over 12 miles into the race and my right leg/ass is starting to tighten up and causing me a lot of concern. I slowed again at mile 13 to 7min/m and turned in just over 92mins...now 2 mins off target. By the end of mile 14 I was back to 7’10s and digging my fist into the side of my hip to get some relief. I pulled out at 14.8miles and about 1 mile from the bridge in the center of Rotterdam. I moved off the course onto the path , removed the number and walked back to the hotel. After a light stretch and a hot shower I waited for the rest of the crew and the analysis of the race. The lads all ran to and exceeded their targets which made the night ahead an enjoyable one. We headed to Paddy Murphys but couldn't get in the door with the Liverpool fans so detoured to a few local bars before we returned later on for a few beers. A great night followed as the beers flowed and the form was great with all the crew. Met some of the St. Finbarrs lads who again had great races.
    Traveled to Amsterdam Monday and as it started to rain all plans for a city tour were quickly replaced with a high stool, cold beers and another post race analysis.

As the week progressed it is a bit of a disappointment that I couldn't finish the race. Immediate focus is to abandon all plans for a marathon until I get some help in finding whats causing the glute to flare up after 90+ mins of running sub 7’s. Maybe Dublin 2015? All easy runs and short sessions at pace were no problem during the last 5 months when I hit around 900miles for this marathon block but there is obviously an issue somewhere in the glute/hip area that is being stressed with pace over a prolonged period.
    I will focus on short races for the summer with a big focus on the Ballycotton Summer Series and introduce some strength exercises and try out Crossfit.
    Appreciate the good luck messages I received before the race.

Friday – ran 6mls easy at just over 8min pace. Still a slight niggle in the hip area so will take it easy for the next few days.

Bad luck BR, hopefully you'll get the glute issue sorted and come back stronger than ever. Enjoy the summer racing season.

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

If you find a solution to either the liverpool overkill or the glute injury please let me know!!

Gavlor wrote: »
    If you find a solution to either the liverpool overkill or the glute injury please let me know!!

One sounds like a chronic affliction that has caused constant pain since 1989/90 :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Quick update.....

April 21st – 27th

Wednesday
    Met up with one of the lads from the Rotterdam crew and we decided to make a start and do a session to get the legs moving again. Headed to the local rugby pitches and did the session on grass. 3x1ks/4x800s/2x400s.
    1ks: 3:36 3:36 3:37
    800s: All 4 were between 2:58/2:59
    400s: 85s/86s
    Grand session after the previous weeks excess drink/food and lack of mileage. Glad to have some speed work completed though to shock the body back into action.
    1ml WU/WD
    7mls

Friday
    6mls easy. Plan after Today is to take another few days/weeks off from following any structured running plan and just enjoy the break. Weekly total a massive 13mls

April 28th – May 4th

Tuesday
    4mls easy + 50min core session. The plan over the next few months is to include a good core session on a weekly basis to strengthen the glutes/quads/core as they have been an issue over the last 2 marathons. Session was tough and I suffered for 3 days afterwards.Its a continuous 50min session that alternates between a lot of squats/bur pees/plank/crunches but the benefits will be great if I can keep it up over the summer months.

Wednesday
    6mls easy. Still in bits after the core session so an easy run to flush the legs.

Thursday
    The club were running their annual 5ml race so after helping with the set up I did 1ml warm up and planned to use the race as a good blow out. Did some strides just before the start and planned to run at 6’15 pace with 2 other club runners. Still felt the effects of the core session on Tuesday but it had no effect on my race once we got going. Felt very strong on the first mile as its also a fast mile but held to the planned pace as I knew I would feel it in the legs over the hilly miles 3-4.
    Splits were: 1. 6’10 2. 6’10 3. 6’25 4. 6’33 5. 6’13
    Tired and slowed a lot over the hills on mile 3 & 4.Felt it in the legs/hip/quads on the inclines. Pushed on again on the last mile and finished in 31m31s. Happy with the effort.

Saturday
    4mls E. 21miles for the week.

May 5th – May 11th

Wednesday
    4mls E

Thursday
    10mls E

Friday
    5mls E

Saturday
    45mins Core session.
    Weekly total: 19mls

May 12th – May 18th

Monday
    Headed to the Mardyke track in the city for a club session. Plan was 10x400 w 400 jog recovery. Was unsure how the session would go as I was enjoying plenty of food/wine and late nights over the past few weeks since Rotterdam finished. Target was 80s.
    1. 80
    2. 80
    3. 81
    4. 81
    5. 79
    6. 79
    7. 78
    8. 82
    9. 82
    10. 79
    Did 3m WU & 1m WD.
    9mls

Tuesday
    4mls E

Wednesday
    4mls E with stretching/sit ups

Thursday
    50min core session. Finally able to get through the session with little or no after effects the morning after.

Friday
    10mE at 8min pace.

Weekly total:27mls

Monday 19th
    With a race planned for Thursday the plan was some 200s w 60s rec. Target was 35s. Had a gap in work so ran on a quiet road for 2.5mls and then set the watch for intervals. Late nights Saturday & Sunday so wasn’t looking forward to any speed session but at least this was short and the pain was brief. Did 8 x 200s and another 2.5mls WD.
    1. 40s
    2. 34
    3. 35
    4. 34
    5. 37
    6. 35
    7. 36
    8. 38
    6mls

Tuesday
    4m E with some strides

Wednesday
    Had a gap in the afternoon when I was waiting on a job in the city so took in a nice 5ml route around Togher/Mardyke/Fitzgeralds Park. Really nice weather and I worked on the farmer tan aswell. Did some stretching/sit ups in the park in Togher after.
    5mls

A 5ml race tonight but with the lack of miles and focus the past month it will hopefully be a steady effort. Will do a plan for 5ml-10k over the next 10wks and stick to short races over the summer, focusing on core strength as well as chasing some PBs over the shorter distances. Will also replace the Merlot with organic beetroot juice again.

Good to see you back BR.

Have you another marathon targeted?

TbL

Good to see you back BR.

Have you another marathon targeted?

TbL

Hey TbL. Great to see you are going well at the moment with some solid training and you hit your target in Limerick. Flying the flag for us auld lads!
    No more marathons this year. I just need to build a solid core after the issues on the last 2 marathons. Long term I'll probably aim for Dublin next year as I really like the training and I find having a plan and just ticking it off works well for me. The last 4 weeks were a bit of a disaster but the rest was no harm either so from next week on I'll try and follow an 8-10 wk prog and peak in August for the end of the Ballycotton summer 5 mile series. Logging the training here also helps to motivate me. I'll race as often as possible on the shorter stuff as well throughout the summer. Whats your next marathon?

Hey TbL. Great to see you are going well at the moment with some solid training and you hit your target in Limerick. Flying the flag for us auld lads!
    No more marathons this year. I just need to build a solid core after the issues on the last 2 marathons. Long term I'll probably aim for Dublin next year as I really like the training and I find having a plan and just ticking it off works well for me. The last 4 weeks were a bit of a disaster but the rest was no harm either so from next week on I'll try and follow an 8-10 wk prog and peak in August for the end of the Ballycotton summer 5 mile series. Logging the training here also helps to motivate me. I'll race as often as possible on the shorter stuff as well throughout the summer. Whats your next marathon?

Tnx BR,

Next A marathon race is Amsterdam in October, hoping for a 3.04/5

I might throw Portumna and another marathon into the pot as long slow runs.

Best of luck with the training and hopefully you'll come back strong for Dublin.

TbL

Thursday - Ballyandreen 5
    Tonight was about maintaining a solid pace on a tough course and try to get sub 31:30. Met up with some of the lads from the club and decided to go out and try to maintain 6’15 pace for the race. Tough enough course but after the first mile which was uphill and the second mile which was over some rolling hills with a steep downhill section I was feeling ok and pretty much on target coming to the 2 mile mark. Got passed by a few on the next straight section & on target at the 3 mile mark but after that the legs started to seize and I started to slow. Once I hit the incline from mile 3 - 4 I was shuffling up the hill instead of actually running. A very uncomfortable mile and although the last mile is fast and downhill I just had nothing left in the legs. Struggled to the finish in 32:01. Total lack of hill training showed tonight and hills are something I need to incorporate once a week into my training. I pushed too hard on the downhill section before the 2 mile mark and as a result felt it in the legs on the incline afterwards.

Splits
    1 .6’17
    2 6’07
    3 6’12
    4 7’17
    5 5’58
    173m 4’38
    32m01s
    8mls

Fri
    Golf & beer. A day off from running but playing golf with a group of runners is more competitive than any 5k race. Good craic and nice beers after.

Sat
    7.5mE. Small fella had a hurling blitz in the northside of the city so headed out on a quiet back road to Blarney for easy miles before the matches got underway.

Sun
    5m easy while the lad had soccer training Sunday morning.

Weekly Total:35.5mls

Mon
    5mE + 50min core session. My 4th week doing this core session. It's definitely getting less painful and I am recovering faster.

Tues
    John Buckley 5k - 18m32s.
    Wanted to run a quick fast session so headed to the city to run this race. On a very flat course and always a huge crowd in attendance. Happy with the time as the last time I ran this race was 2011 (18m51s) so a PB on the night was nice. Did start to tire on the last mile and got passed by a few people so plenty to work on over the coming months.
    6mls

Wed
    5mE

Thurs – OFF

Fri
    Kilcreaden 5k
    Had a Q session planned but as there was a local 5K on I headed with the brother + brother in law instead. Beautiful evening and a really well run event over a fast 5k course with over 350 runners. One of the lads from the club wanted to get in under 19mins so that pace suited me on the night & we ran together. Unfortunately he had a stomach upset that caused havoc with his race as his pace dropped off after the first mile (6'05) and it eventually slowed him down to a full stop after mile 2. (Although his sprint finish after he crossed the finish line to the toilets would have placed him in any national 100m race). I pushed on for the last mile to finish strong. A good workout and a great local race.
    5k 19m36s
    5mls

Saturday
    Headed out in the sun before midday for an easy run.Nice steady pace.
    10mE

Weekly Total:31mls

Monday
    Started last night on a 12 week JD 5-15k prog. It has 3 Q sessions in the week so I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. The plan is to get to sub 30 by August and race a few more 5ks in the process. Doing this plan with some of the lads so it will help to focus and build a bit of speed over the coming weeks. Need to increase the weekly mileage from this week.
    WU + 4 x 200s w200rec + 2 x 400w400r + 1 x 800w400rec + 2 x 400w400rec + 4 x 200w200rec + WD. Did the session on grass.

39s
    41s
    41s
    41s

84s
    84s

2’51

84s
    85s

41s
    40s
    40s
    41s

1.5ml WU + 2mWD
    8.5mls

So solid sessions/races BR, keep it up and you'll be in good shape for a autumn marathon PB!

TbL

So solid sessions/races BR, keep it up and you'll be in good shape for a autumn marathon PB!

TbL

Autumn 2015 :) Ill be busy this Autumn following your progress as you burn it up in Amsterdam and set the bar for the auld lads!

Tuesday
    4m easy pace. Took in a route around town with 5-6 nice brief hills and drove on up the hills. Ran the rest easy. 30mins of crunches/stretches after.

Wednesday
    Long day at work so had a late dinner and followed this up just over 1.5 hours later with a Q session. Not ideal but having missed lunch I couldn't face doing it on empty. Had 2 mile repeats on the schedule for this evening but there is a local 5ml race Friday so will do that session as part of the race Friday instead. The session tonight instead was 6 x 800s with 3min rec jog at 5'52 pace. Tough running so soon after a meal but as usual once the first 2 are done its downhill after that. Beautiful evening and had company for the session which we ran on grass.
    800s completed 5'50 av pace. 1.5ml WU & WD.
    7.5mls

Thursday/Friday
    Got on the bike Thursday evening and loosened the legs out with a few miles. Did some core afterwards. Don't get the same buzz from cycling as running and don't cycle a whole lot but it was a change and better than a rest day. Had planned Friday night to run a local 5ml race as a training session but family stuff took priority so didnt get out for any run on Friday.

Saturday
    Did Fridays session Saturday afternoon. Lovely weather with a slight breeze when I headed out. Did an easy 2ml WU and started into 3x 2mls with 3 min rest recoveries. Target pace was 6'27. Managed the first one in 6'25 and the second into the breeze in 6'29. Felt a slight niggle in my left calf so pulled up after 1 mile on the last one. 6'27. Finished with another few easy miles WD.
    9mls

Sunday
    Headed out before we left to visit the outlaws Sunday afternoon for a family gathering. Easy miles and the calf was showing no effects from the previous days session.
    11mls

Weekly total: 40mls
    YTD: 953mls. Hope to hit 1000 miles by the end of next week.

Monday
    The plan was 10x400s with a 400 jog recovery. Had hoped to go to the club session tonight after 6pm but had to attend a removal this evening so it was a bit of a rush to get the session complete beforehand. Headed out to a straight stretch on the local club race route and did 1ml WU. Set up the watch for the session with 90s jog recoveries to save a bit more time but once I got started I was getting the average pace for the entire session including the recoveries. Didn't want to stop and re start the watch and as I was already under time pressure so I just drove on and went with what felt comfortable. Target was 82s but I finished all 10 between 84-86 secs. Not as planned but glad to have gotten the session in.
    Quick WD. ~6mls

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    7mls easy.

Wednesday
    Glanmire 4m race. Swopped the planned Q session of 2.25m T + 3min E + 1.5T+2min E + .75T with a 4mile race instead. Lovely evening and a crowd of about 500 turned up for what was a busy week of races in Cork with something on nearly every night. The course has a nice hill after 2 mls and a few pulls towards the finish so a good test. Did 2ml warm up with a few strides. Headed out with 2 club mates and we passed mile 1 in 5'58. A bit faster than I had planned but this section of the course was flat and I was feeling good. Moved ahead of the group I was with on the second mile and myself and 1 clubmate joined another group of 3 runners. Tucked in behind the lead runner in the group and after a slight pull we hit the 2 mile mark and the bottom of the hill in 6'18. I fell back on the hill climb and had to push on a bit on the descent to catch the group of 3 I was running with. Reached mile 3 in 6'19. 2 nice drags to the finish and was able to finish strong on the last stretch to finish in 24min 52sec & 1st O45. Stretches & 1mile WD.

Thursday
    4.5mls easy

Friday
    One of the lads was heading to a local GAA club fun run up near Fermoy (Michael Flatley country) so again decided to do the race instead of the Q session (6x2min hard+1min jog+1min hard+30sec jog+30sec hard). Only about 30 runners in the event and a lot of walkers/juvenilles. My target was under 19mins and the course was ok overall. Found myself in 4th after the first mile but managed to finish 3rd in the end after passing the 3rd place runner on mile 2. Finished in 18min 58s. 1ml WU & WD.
    5mls

Saturday
    Had a long run planned for Saturday morning so up at 7 and got it out of the way early as we had a full day planned with the family at the beach & in Kinsale for the day. Really warm even at 7:30 so the pace was easy but having raced the night before we both found the session tough as the legs were tired and the heat was a factor. Finished up after 12mls.
    Took a rest day Sunday from running a did some core work shoveling 1 tonne of stones onto a flower bed in the garden. I f€ckin hate gardening.
    Weekly total: 41.5mls

Monday
    Went to the club session tonight. Another really warm evening. 1ml WU and we started with 6 x strides the length of the rugby pitch. Followed this with 6x800s w 200jog recoveries. Target was under 3mins for each and they varied from 2'54-2'58 except near the end where I pulled back to 3'10 as I plan to do another 5k Wednesday night. 1ml WD. Great session and a great buzz doing the club sessions on grass and in great weather. ~6.5mls
    Hit 1000mls YTD tonight.

Advertisement