Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple TV

• 12-10-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked in the past...but here goes.
    I don't have a smart tv but would like Netflix or similar.
    I don't want a laptop connected to the TV and don't have a play station or the like.
    So I was looking at getting Apple TV....€109 on apple website....had a look on adverts.ie and they are €150/€180/€200.... So what's the story???
    Why is the new one cheaper?
    Please somebody explain the ins and outs.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

The expensive ones are second gen, they can be jailbroken and have XBMC installed. The new one hasn't been jailbroken so you can only use what Apple give you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked in the past...but here goes.
    I don't have a smart tv but would like Netflix or similar.
    I don't want a laptop connected to the TV and don't have a play station or the like.
    So I was looking at getting Apple TV....€109 on apple website....had a look on adverts.ie and they are €150/€180/€200.... So what's the story???
    Why is the new one cheaper?
    Please somebody explain the ins and outs.
    Cheers.

Basically the previous generation of Apple TV (which looks identical) is still able to be jailbroken, which is why there's a huge demand for them. The Apple TV 3 is a better product, also it supports 1080p where the Apple TV 2 only supports 720p. It's just the fact they can be jailbroken and still are very similar to the newer model other than a few small differences that has them in such huge demand.

If your looking for a cheaper version of the ATV you could always buy refurbished. It's basically brand new, other than the box which is slightly different. It also comes with the 1 year Apple warranty and sells for €85 from Apple.

Of if it's mainly for Netflix you could look into getting a Google Chromecast, but it can be hard to get shipped to a Ireland since it's not officially being sold over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭chri

I was using apple tv for a long time, then I bought an android tv device from ebay
    called
    Android 4.2 Dual Core TV Box Media Player Google Smart TV HD 1080P HDMI WIFI at my door for just over 60 euro

Id never use the apple tv again

android tv all the way

Netflix youtube xbmc news weather so on and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanks guys.
    So what does a jail broken one give you over an un-jail broken one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks guys.

Pretty much only the ability to stream content from your media servers/laptops/pc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭chri

Thanks guys.

if you have an android device or a jail broken apple tv
    you can use apps like
    aertv for all your irish tv
    and filmon for all your uk tv all for free
    also the main app you can use is xbmc

search youtube "movies on xbmc"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

chri wrote: »
    if you have an android device or a jail broken apple tv
    you can use apps like
    aertv for all your irish tv
    and filmon for all your uk tv all for free
    also the main app you can use is xbmc

search youtube "movies on xbmc"

Even o an unjailbroken one you can stream to it from your ipod ipad iphone or android phone. Yo can stream rte player, tv 3 player ,4od, aer tv, filmon tv etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

If you don't have an iPhone or iPad I'd recommend grabbing a Chromecast from amazon. Especially if you're just looking for something for Netflix and the like.

Advertisement