Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vacant Neighbours House Smoke Detectors Chirping

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

i am living in a terraced house, in the middle of two others. one of the houses is now vacant, owners i believe emigrated and handed keys of the house back to the bank

going on two months now the 3 smoke detectors in this house are chirping every thirty seconds, it becomes a little annoying at night :rolleyes:

i have contacted the developers of the housing estate - unable to help

wrote letters to the various banks - no reply

breaking into the house is of course not an option

these detectors would be hard wired, i presume the electricity has been turned off and they are running on battery? but for over 2 months now...

please help end my pain with some advice :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

BArra wrote: »
    i am living in a terraced house, in the middle of two others. one of the houses is now vacant, owners i believe emigrated and handed keys of the house back to the bank

going on two months now the 3 smoke detectors in this house are chirping every thirty seconds, it becomes a little annoying at night :rolleyes:

i have contacted the developers of the housing estate - unable to help

wrote letters to the various banks - no reply

breaking into the house is of course not an option

these detectors would be hard wired, i presume the electricity has been turned off and they are running on battery? but for over 2 months now...

please help end my pain with some advice :pac:

You need to identify the exact bank. Do a land registry search which is 5 quid for a house and it will identify the bank in question.

Write to the arrears dept. and inform them that the alarms are non functional and causing a noise nuisance and must be rectified. Advise that environmental health has been contacted.

Contact environmental health with a record of the noise over the last two months and make a formal complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

If the power is off, they will eventually go flat. If it is a battery alarm they can beep for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

im fairly sure the power is off, but yes they have been going for over 2 months now. the other scenario is that the power is still on, but the batterys are low and therefore they would never stop chirping :P

i've had no email response back from environmental health regarding the matter yet anywho

regarding paying the 5e to check property owner on land registry, i haven't done this yet, there is a distinct possibility it will still list the previous occupiers if the bank haven't bothered to update land registry?

would the guards be able to do anything about it for me, except laugh at my troubles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If smoke alarms are chirping is it not a fire hazard? You could notify your fire station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

not a complete help but if they are chirping then it is definitely the batteries that are low, hard wired alarms have a battery back up which cause the alarm to 'chirp' when the batteries are running low irrespective of the power being on or off.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Feck are reading this earlier my detector started chirping and for some odd reason the damn thing won't budge when i try to open it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

Gatling wrote: »
    Feck are reading this earlier my detector started chirping and for some odd reason the damn thing won't budge when i try to open it

Some detectors hinge open on one side. Others need to be rotated anti clockwise and then drop down. Mains powered ones tend to need rotating, cheap battery only units tend to flip open.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Some may have a bayonet type connection- like an old fashioned light bulb. You may have to push it upwards and twist anticlockwise at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

if the property is owned by a bank it could be in the hands of a receiver/liquadator who are responsible for it. Worth a try... google receivers, call one and give the address to see if its on their books....

• Advertisement
Advertisement