Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last tenants did not pay share of ESB bill

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

My son recently has moved away from home to limerick into rented student house that he shares with three others.

It seems now however that the students that rented the house last year did not pay their gas or esb bill.

My son and new housemates are now looking at the possibility of being disconnected, they spoke to the landlord who does not want to know.

I believe the bills were in the name of one of the tenants last year.

Anybody else ever had this problem?
    Can anyone throw some light on the situation?

...... sorry bad pun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

They should have read the utility meter(s) with the Landlord/Agent when they moved in. They're only responsible for any utilities used after that number.

Did they take a reading? - If so contact ESB/Bord Gais/Airtricity - whichever supplier they want to use - and set up an account, they'll probably have to either pay a deposit or agree to go direct debit.

If they didn't take a reading - how long are they in the house now? Will the LL take a reading with them now and they can set up the account immediately.

If they've been in the house a few weeks and they want to be honest they should take the readings at the start & end of an average week and then work out how much they owe from now back to the date they originally moved in. Don't forget to calculate out the carbon tax, standing charge and VAT as well

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kenny Gofuk

They group of students including my son are all first years. The LL lives out of the country and all is dealt with through a letting agency.
    They have had problems from the start regarding keys and faulty conditions.
    Nobody took a meter reading as we all took it at face value that all was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Nobody took a meter reading as we all took it at face value that all was good.
    This'll be a good lesson for them then. Always check the meters on every property that you move into. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Always take meter readings or at a minimum take dated photos of the meters. Same goes for stains/damage in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Easiest solution is have it transferred in to your sons name and he can handle the bills in the future. ESB can chase the person who's name is on the bill as they are legally responsible for paying it regardless of whatever happened since they left, they should have had their name removed when they moved out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement