Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STI paranoia

• 13-10-2013 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there.

I'm going to try to keep this brief and to the point. I've just been very worried this past few days and wanted some advice.

Recently I had my first sexual experience. It was with a guy I've been on one or two dates previously. We had unprotected oral sex but we used condoms and lube for anal intercourse where I bottomed.

I'm just feeling very paranoid over the whole thing as it's all new to me. I know the window for testing for HIV is 3 months+, and I'm just wondering how does a sexually active gay man cope with waiting this long for an accurate result? I'm aware there's other STI's out there too and I'm just trying to find ways to stop thinking so much about it!

Has anyone any advice on my plan of action? Should I contact this guy again and ask him outright about his status/sexual activity? Am I being silly given we were cautious as could be?

Thanks all for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

You're being paranoid about HIV, but there's nothing paranoid about having STI tests done every few months, even if you're using condoms for anal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

You're being silly! You dont have any sti's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

STIs are of course a possibility and there is no such thing as 100% safe sex. The risks of HIV from oral sex are very very low.

I would reccomend everyone who is sexually active get tested regularly - perhaps as regular as once a year.

Maybe OP ring the gay mens health service for professional advice.

www.gaymenshealthservice.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Don't be silly, wrap your willy - always! Also, make sure you get a test once a year, if not every six months, even if you take precautions every time. This applies to all people that have had sexual encounters, not just the people who are very frequently sexually active. Follow this and you should be grand. To think otherwise, the paranoia would end up with you just denying yourself a healthy and fun love(or lust) life!

But yeah, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey there guys, op again.

Thank you so much to those who replied and gave such sound advice. You really have given me a new lease of life and saved a bit of hair from falling out till I get tested!

Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Hey there guys, op again.

Thank you so much to those who replied and gave such sound advice. You really have given me a new lease of life and saved a bit of hair from falling out till I get tested!

Thank you!
    Just a question
    You said it was your first sexual experience with a guy.Why did you bottom ?
    Just because you are gay doesnt mean you HAVE to have anal sex.Lots and lots of gay guys many of whom are in relationships do not have anal sex
    Never feel pressured into doing something you think you HAVE to do or must do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Just a question
    You said it was your first sexual experience with a guy.Why did you bottom ?
    Just because you are gay doesnt mean you HAVE to have anal sex.Lots and lots of gay guys many of whom are in relationships do not have anal sex
    Never feel pressured into doing something you think you HAVE to do or must do

Fair advice not to feel pressured but he may or not have been pressured - he hasnt indicated that he was.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Fair advice not to feel pressured but he may or not have been pressured - he hasnt indicated that he was.

That's why I asked him

Advertisement