Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The mainsheet system I would use is #6 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

spacehopper
    The traveller is screwed down with stainless steel screws; true the decking’ and into the oak deck beam.
    Believe me it’s going nowhere; the deck will lift before the traveller.

Evening all
    I have been tidying up and doing some little repairs and alterations.
    I think she is almost ready for sail.
    I am having the icon radio repaired’ there seems to be a known problem with this model’ something to do with receiver’ the guy who is doing the repair’ has emailed Icon, and is awaiting a response.
    At least I don’t have to go up the mast.
    It has given me a chance to fit a bridge’ to the GPS, it should allow me to connect other devices’ in the future.
    I raised the boom about a foot’ when level, it know rides high enough’ that when it swings’ it wont take the head off me, when standing in the cockpit.
    Cleaned out the bilge again, even tough I cleaned and hovered everything a dozen times, there still seems to be sawdust and other debris; finding its way to the pump.
    She is a bit down at the back’ most likely because of the engine, it sits just aft of the centre line’ and is much bigger than the original’ I will move the life raft and see if this helps if not then it’s some pig iron.
    I have sorted out the idling speed for the engine’ I thought I would have to either change the governor weights’ or springs’ according to the manual’ but I got away with a bit of wd40 and some adjustment to the cable’ she ticking over nicely now.
    I rigged up the boom traveller, as close to the original’ as I could make out from old photos.
    Looks ok to me.
    I have to run a line for the blocks on the traveller and it should be right.

While there’s only a few left in the world people have been good enough to share pictures and information with me here’s some of there setups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Lovely restoration job Copper, very well done.
    The 4 stroke outboard hanging on the back might not be helping your trim. Yachts usually don't like any weight in the ends, as it's often called. Try to concentrate any heavy items as close to amidships as possible. It will also improve sailing performance.
    You may need to drill a hole in the toe rail to dead-end the traveller line. Then use a purchase to adjust it and turning blocks to run the line back to the cockpit.

Evening all
    Well she finally on her mooring
    My first time tying up to a swinging mooring.
    Talking about drama; I made a complete b##ls of it’ if it could go wrong then it did.
    I done everything arse ways’ lost the boat hook’ I had spent three day cleaning and varnishing the hook; the previous owner had it for years’ two minuets’ I used it for and it was gone.
    Everything was going grand approaching the mooring.
    Slowed right down’ came to a halt’ I had the boat hook ready’ grabbed the buoy’ forgot completely about the tide pushing me on’ tried to hold on but had to let go hook an all.
    I had kept the engine running’ so motored back and managed to throw a loop around the buoy’ tied off, and went back turned off the engine, and had a look to see if I could find the boat hook.
    By this time she had swing around and was facing into the tide.
    I could see the boathook floating off into the distance; I also noticed I was still floating after it.
    Look-in forward I could see the buoy and the mooring line the line had slipped.
    I had not tied off properly, looked for the key to start the engine’ you think I could fined it; panic stations.
    I had my working gear on’ so had a multitude of pockets to search.
    Finally found it’ buried under screws, nuts, and bolts’ started the engine pushed the gear lever forward’ throttled up; within a few meters the engine cut out, pulled her out of gear’ tried to start her again not a hope.
    By this time I had drifted a good distance’ I had gotten a number of ropes ready just in case I needed them’ this was both the saviour of the day, and the cause of the drama.
    I managed to throw a line around another unused boy’ at least I had stopped drifting.
    Another boat nearby came to may assistance and towed me back to my own buoy and I tied up again with a multitude of knots.
    It turned out when the line slipped it pulled one of the docking lines with it and this had wrapped around the prop.
    What damage this has done, I wont find out until I get a diver to free the rope’ and see what damage If any I have done’ hopefully if there’s is any damage’ then it only to the flexible coupling.
    By god did I learn some valuable lessons yesterday?
    :o:o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thats boating for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

copper12 wrote: »
    It turned out when the line slipped it pulled one of the docking lines with it and this had wrapped around the prop.
    What damage this has done, I wont find out until I get a diver to free the rope’ and see what damage If any I have done’ hopefully if there’s is any damage’ then it only to the flexible coupling.
    By god did I learn some valuable lessons yesterday?
    :o:o

I have used a gopro on the end of a extending roller paint pole with live view on my phone to assess damage to the prop. Like you we are on a swing mooring so best time is at just before low tide. Handy way to check if you have access to one. Been that soldier too with the gaff ending up in the water.

Fingers crossed not too much damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Thanks for a wonderful thread, it made great reading. Congratulations, you have a beautiful boat.

• Advertisement

Evening all
    As you can imagine I have been fairly busy lately
    It turned out:
    When the rope was removed there was some damage done’ I really wont know how much until I get her lifted in November’ it should hold until then, there’s some water’ either coming from the stern tube’ or the cutlass’ not much, but enough to have the pump run once an hour about ten litres.
    Tried to start the engine’ not a hope’ I thought I had burnt out the starter motor.
    I took it home, and further investigation revelled I had burnt out the solenoid, 40€ better than 300€ for a new one.
    I even made a new boat hook’ I made it to long’ as I needed to see what size would suite.
    First time in use’ the other half shortened it for me, it was like a bullet going off; it is now the right size.:pac:
    It is made from teak poles’ that I had salvaged years ago’ and used to hold up my tomato plants.
    So here I am now at a stage where I am motoring around Cork harbour; I even went as far as the old head’ and stayed in kinsale’ it takes me forty minuets’ to get there by car; four and a half hours by boat.
    I had a great time; I even hooked a big bass’ or a tuna’ as I had a line out the back, with a huge popper’ it was like tuna wars; 350 yards of line out before I broke at the swivel.
    I have fitted the mainsail and the reef lines’ and moved a block here and there, and went out off Roche’s point a couple of times’ and was tempted to try and raise the sail; but I chickened out and just motored about.
    Yesterday I bit the bullet’ and put in two reefs and raised the sail at the mooring’ and motored out again’ only to find there wasn’t enough wind to blow out a candle.:(
    I had been advised to go well out when sailing for the first time’ so if something goes wrong, I would have enough time to get things back in control; and have an anchor ready just in case.:eek:
    After a few hours the wind picked up and I sailed for the first time alone.
    Most of the time the boat was in complete control; as I had no idea what was happening. :rolleyes:
    With just the mainsail up, and ten to twelve knots of wind; I managed to two’ to tree’ knots.
    Plenty of tacking and jibing; at least half the time Coe Na Mara actually done as I wished; the rest of the time she done what ever she wanted.:P
    Once she stalled I found it difficult to get her to come about; I think I slowed down to much and I did make the turns sharp enough.
    If today goes well I might venture the jib’ I have a Yankee sail’ that should give me some control
    Well that’s the plan :D

sail up:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

I'll be keeping an eye out for you in the harbour. Well done on the restoration. Looks fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

Well done Copper. You've come a long way. You should try a bit of motor sailing. If you sail a longer passage like down to Kinsale or back, and you have the wind in the right direction, you could hoist the main, then when you are in control, hoist the jib. Then reduce engine revs. And when you're comfortable turn off the engine.
    You should look at doing a course with Eddie English in SailCork in Cobh.

Evening all
    I went out yesterday the wind picked up before noon for a couple of hours.
    There’s a gent who owns a boat by the name of Ash ling; I had been out with him last week.
    Yesterday we went out on Ceo Na Mara and he put her true her paces.
    I don’t know who was more excited me or john.
    Between ten and fifteen knots of wind’ from the south west’ she reached on one occasion, just over seven knots.
    There was water washing along the deck; stuff that I thought that would never move’ was flying all over the place.
    Since I was just trying to hold on’:eek: john was doing most of the sailing; with a running commentary as to what he was doing’ and why, we went trough every point of sail.
    She behaved impeccably.
    He was very impressed with her full sail and a jib up.
    It took a while before we set the sails right’ his system is completely different on his Ash ling.
    When I stood the mast I thought I had racked it back a little too much.
    All I had to go by’ was some old photographs, of King Ametyst’ with wooden mast’ so I just copied them.
    The marine engineer who had done the survey a couple of week ago’ had seen her a couple of days after I had stood the mast; he was doing a survey a couple of boats away’ and gave her the once over’ and advised me not to do anymore adjustments’ until I had sails up and had given her a run.
    She got that yesterday; she is very responsive’ very light on the tiller’ and doesn’t seem to have any sign event weather helm,
    On a couple of occasions he took his hands off the tiller and she sailed herself. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thats also boating for you :) the good days always makeup for all the crappy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Feel good thread of the year award goes to...

She looks fantastic copper, fair dues to you👏
    I was going to say she will respond much better with a headsail up. It really helps pull the bow around when tacking, but you've figured that out I see.
    How are the leaks? Have her planks swelled and sealed up yet?

Evening all
    This is going to be a long post
    Coe Na Mara is out of the water’ and on a stand, In Heagarty’s yard just outside skibbereen
    I Sailed from Crosshaven to Kinsale.
    I had a great time’ it took a couple of hours, well six or seven.
    The wind was from the west, and that was the way I wanted to go.
    I knew it would take a while.
    Well you can imagine most of the time’ I felt I was going backwards.
    I have this tacking thing’ almost sorted out’ on several occasions I hove to instead of tacking.
    It took a while to sort out the timing’ as it was the tiller that was causing me the problems’ as soon as I sorted out a system, of turning into the wind’ gaining some speed’ coming about’ leaving the headsail push the bow around’ leaving the sheet go’ pulling in the other sheet, moving the tiller back’ to head back into the wind; I stopped going around in circles, or hoveing to’ simple when you know how’ and off again, on another tack; sort out the sheets, lode up the mainsail ,and put me legs up, I have fitted two bungee cords’ and two clam cleats, to keep the tiller in place’ so I can sail a coerce’ this allows me to tidy up the cockpit, and sort out the sheets so there not ropes everywhere, and sit back’ look around and enjoy what’s going on around me. Well that’s the plan most of the time I do the opposite.

So first day down tired’ but I had learnt a lot’ anchored in kinsale harbour; up bright and early next morning; and headed west’ winds between 17 and twenty five knots’ perfect weather for sailing so I’m told.
    Stuck my nose out of the harbour’ it looked a lot rougher than yesterday, so I pun in a reef before leaving the harbour; I said to myself it is easer to shake a reef out’ than put one in single handed.
    It turned out to be the right decision.
    The weather was not the greatest’ visibility was down to a couple of miles on some occasions’
    Some landmarks I could make out quite well’ others I was almost on top of before I could see them,
    Other than lobster pot buoys’ nothing out of the ordinary happened.
    I tried to keep my tacks as long as possible’ unless I thought of something to try’ you know things like, I wonder if this would work. so I’d tack and find myself heading back to Chrosshaven’ before deciding that I would not do that again idiot; the day went along like this’ learning, that if I trim the sales this way or that way’ the heading would change, speeding up and sometimes almost come to a stop.
    At one stage I was flying along a pod of dolphins’ came alongside’ jases nearly died, I thought I was being attacked by sharks.
    I have never been this close to these amazing creatures before; in my excitement’ trying to get the camera working on my phone; before I knew what was happening I had done a three sixty and was heading off in the other direction, the dolphins’ legged it thinking I’m sure this fellow will kill us lets get out of here.
    Pass the marks’ I had set out’ the old head’ black tom, seven heads, dunworly point, galley head, and many more’ to many here to mention.
    Anyway to make a long storey even longer, after my last tack.
    I ended up between the Stags and the Kedge’ so I dropped the head sail’ and decided to motor the rest of the way to Baltimore.
    Now this is where the story goes tits up.
    On the last tack, I knew I had hit something there was an almost mighty thump, well off shore so I knew I had not hit rocks’ turned into the wind then hoved to; I had a good look around I did not see any buoys’ I had no idea what happened, walked around the boat checked shrouds checked below nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so I carried on slowly at first, then decided to just sail, on and check again when I got into Baltimore.
    As soon as I started the engine I knew something was not right.
    What ever I had hit; I thought it must have damaged the prop.
    By this time I was about a mile east from the Kedge; I had no other option but to keep going and head for the harbour.
    I was not making much headway, as the wind and tide was against me but making enough as to not be concerned.
    Just west of the Kedge and about a mile from Baltimore’ the engine cut out.
    Awe for F**sk sake; this all I need’ she started again but didn’t see right’ fingers crossed I would make it.
    Five minuets’ later she died again. Panic stations’ gave her a minute and myself’ at the same and I said to myself if she starts again; instead of heading for the harbour I would head straight out to sea.
    The engine started and I headed for open water.
    After ten minuets’ when I though I had made the wrong decision; and should have headed for the harbour, the engine stopped and would not start again by this time I was a couple of miles off shore; and had some time to think’ not a lot of time, as the wind and tide was bringing me back towards the Kedge;
    I thought of dropping the head sail then decided to leave it up’ as I would at least have some control
    Or steerage at least it made me feel somewhat in control.
    The wind at this stage was showing twenty-five knots; I knew I was two hours at least into a coming tide; and knew I did not have much time to get things sorted; jumped down below, I had a quick check of the engine’ if it wasn’t obvious or staring me straight in the face, I knew I had not much time to sort thing out, checked the most likely things’ cables, valves, looked for broken pipes, or cables, nothing seem damaged or broken; went back on top’ by this time I was only a mile or so off shore
    I’m F**cked I said to myself, and then I the next breath said only if I panic, hold your head; and think.
    I was pointing into the wind and drifting towards the rocks. And tried to keep it that way while I was wondering what I was going to do next.
    I had mounted an outbound on the transom for the dingy.
    I had fitted it so that if in an emergency it might be of some use.
    So I dropped this down to its lowest setting; and hoped it would start’ with the bungee cords I set the tiller in the centre.
    Tried to start the outbound’ after five or six pulls I was about to give up it would not start.
    Trying to keep a cool head; in other words, silently screaming to myself; it can’t be the engine you only checked it a week ago’ it must be something you are doing.
    So started again from the start’ it turned out I had not opened the vent’ it started one; prayer answered
    It started jumping in its mounting’ there was a big swell and the prop was coming out of the water every time the stern rose. But at least I had an engine.
    So I sat on the engine cover; and I was making about three knots going nowhere but not getting any closer to the Kedge rocks
    Decision time; rang the emergency services; and the lifeboat had to bring me into Baltimore; not the way I had intended to inter’ Baltimore but at least I was safe.
    So that’s why Coe Na Mara is on a hard stand with a broken shaft’ and stern tube’ and a broken rib.
    Coe Na Mara has the broken stern tube; I have the broken rib.
    While tide up in Baltimore two other boats came in; one a motor cruiser, and the other a sailboat, each had hit something; and had to get divers down to check for damage. The cruiser owner’ knew he had hit a large piece of wood; a huge log he called it, he did not enough time to avoid a collision; but at least he knew what he had hit.
    The engine trouble turned out to be water got into the diesel.
    I checked and double checked every connection; and the only thing I could come up with; was that either’ water got in true the breather tube that’s located inside the cockpit, to the filler cap, most likely the filler cap’ its brass screwed and is supposed to be water tight’ when I am well heeled over’ then there’s a lot of water flowing over it; so think that’s most likely where it got in.
    I drained the fuel tank, and all the lines, drained the fuel filters, and got maybe hundred mills of water.
    I had checked the site glass before heading off that morning; so there’s not a lot I could have done.
    So a new shaft and stern tube has to be fitted and I should be back sailing again
    I said I would be a long post.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

At least you are alive to post!
    How did you break the rib?
    Get well soon, it's been an epic rollercoaster of a thread!

I broke the rib while trying to start the outboard’ standing on the ladder on the stern with a big swell; slipped and hit the rail’ at the time I knew I had hurt myself’ but had a few other things on my mind.
    A broken rib has to mend it’s self’ a bit of strapping and a few black painkillers’ will help I suppose
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

I broke the rib while trying to start the outboard’ standing on the ladder on the stern with a big swell; slipped and hit the rail’ at the time I knew I had hurt myself’ but had a few other things on my mind.
    A broken rib has to mend it’s self’ a bit of strapping and a few black painkillers’ will help I suppose
    :P

A broken rib and I'm sure the pride a little dented but you did the right thing in calling the RNLI and looking back you kept a cool heading despite the mind going into overdrive.

Been watching the saving lives at sea program on the BBC, it sure makes us even more appreciative of what those guys do. Hope the recovery is quick and you are back out on the water soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I'm a "lazy" boater in that I like an engine to do the work while I'm enjoying the ride/fishing/scenery/coffee etc. But I admire your efforts, both on the boat and on the water. Happy to see you have a positive outcome to your adventure.

Hitting something submerged is always on my mind and on the few occasions that I have been out on Kenmare bay I have always taken my time and constantly scanned the sea in front of me. The bay has had it's share of tree trunks floating about and it's always on my mind.

Just as an aside, what did you do with the old diesel you took from the tanks? I only ask as I have drained about 80 gallons of old, sour petrol from my boat and it's sitting all around the (large) back garden in an assortment of containers. A bit of a health and safety issue!

Hope you will be back on the water soon!

Evening all
    Thanks for the response lads and ladies
    As of know the rib feels fine provided I don’t jerk around to fast:o
    I have managed to remove the shaft without having to dismantle the cockpit
    I just about reached everything from under and behind the panels’ a bit tight
    Just as well I’m not a big man I had to cut the shaft so definitely a new stainless shaft and removed the stern tube it turned out it cracked just behind the forward tread
    I have managed to source these locally well the boatyard owner who has been a great help
    So tomorrow I should have a better idea as to what the next step will be they will need to be machined again this can be done locally so I things go well who knows it might not be to long before I am back in the water

SOGOOD as for the old petrol
    Since I don’t really believe in wasting anything; I would transfer them slowly into a clear container.
    Then decant them after any water and debris has settled; and use it in my home heating that is coerce if’s oil heating you use you would get rid of a hundred litres; every time you get a refill’ maybe more if it’s an old burner.
    I throw the used engine oil from when I service the cars and vans that belong to the family into the home heating tank kerosene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You did the right thing calling the Coast Guard, I've friends in the RNLI and they often get call where a boat delayed the call hoping for a friend to come out with fuel or a tow, only be be on the rocks before they arrive. Better call early.

Good luck fixing the board, any idea what you hit?

My brother in law has a fancy burner, it can take anything he's mechanic so has an endless supply of piesel (petrol in diesel) and old engine oil. Works out well for him.

Evening all
    Back again
    Got the stern tube and the shaft fitted
    The tube was sourced locally 42mm bronze 1.15 meters long so had to be machined drilled and treaded to suite the 25mm stainless shaft
    Otherwise I would have been waiting for a couple of weeks.
    Four lifts with the Crain two to remove the rudder and I was back in the water
    The coupling did not line up bang on so I will need to aligned the engine I hope to get this done this week end as the weather isn’t great the flexible coupling has allowed me to make use of the engine up to know but I done want to push my luck.
    Sailed out of Baltimore and made it to Fenit without much mishap
    Although coming around Sybil head and along Brandon point I had the wind to my back a totally new concept to me as I have only sailed against the wind up to now. High winds and even higher waves meant I had to learn fairly quickly as the traveller for the mainsheet came away from the track.
    I had to cut away the traveller guide ropes as this had fouled the main sheet after that I managed to get some level of control over the boom by leaving out one sheet and pulling on the other.
    I have since fitter the original boom traveller it worked for fifty years so I have more faith in it than the newer types of traveller.
    I also blue another frost plug this is the second I a couple of months although I fitted two anodes one in the heat exchanger and another in the exhaust manifold I have checked for electrolyses and earth leaks and I could not find any problems so the only solution I could up with was that the plugs that I used were of the wrong sort auto plugs I tried Tralee and cork for stainless or brass frost plugs but could not find any one who could supply with some and ordering them on the net would mean being grounded for another week or so as the saying necessity is the mother of invention so I made my own out of half inch brass plugs a bit of filling down and some Indian shellac and they fitted in nicely.
    So I will stay around Fenit for a while explore the Blasket Islands and maybe visit Fungi in Dingle then I might try and reach Galway before heading back home. :D

photos

I arrived home at last in one piece :)
    The last month just flew it was a pity I broke down for over a week but that’s life. :rolleyes:
    The scenery the wildlife; the wind, was an experience I will never forget.
    I called into see fungi’ he is in great form, so I stayed two nights’ and went and had a closer look at the blaskets islands.
    Then on to derrynane’ vie the skelligs’ how the monks lived there I don’t know’ they must have had god on there side.
    A pity that there’s so many lobster pots around the islands’ you need eyes in the back of your head.:o
    From derrynane’ I sailed around Dursey between the bull and the calf; never again’ it was like being inside a tumble drier,:eek: I should have went trough Dursey sound, but I was to early for the tide.
    In hindsight I should have waited a couple of hours and saved myself some hair raising experience.
    Then onto Baltimore’ it was different’ interring Baltimore without the lifeboat, I almost felt lonesome.
    Had a few pints; and some pig on a spit’ there was a great band playing outside the chipper’ so a good night. :cool:
    Next morning left for kinsale the other half picked me up there; and I headed for Crosshaven the next morning, it took me eight hours' when I was going west to reach kinsale, and four going back, I had to hove to; after about two and a half hours’ as I couldn’t make out the headlands. :confused:
    The map told me Roberts head was in the distance’ but I said to myself this cant be right’ although I was making between six and seven knots’ I thought I would be another couple of hours before I got to this point; and sure enough I was just off Roberts head’ another half hour’ I could make out Roche point.
    Jasus I was flying; I said to myself my cant the wind always be like this. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Congratulations Copper, that was some first cruise!:eek: Those are the best waters in the country but with tough navigation and often difficult weather. Lots of yotties are put off by the Blaskets, it has a (deserved) evil reputation and neither is Derrynane an easy harbour to enter.

The Bull’s lighthouse is a replacement, as the original was built on the Calf in the 1860’s – the light was about 140 feet above sea level and a couple of years after it was finished part of the lantern balcony was washed away in a storm. I’ve also heard that the steel helipad on the Bull has been damaged by seas and that is 200 feet above MHWS.

Dursey Sound is a great ‘short-cut’ but can be horrible in some wind/tide conditions and the winds are very fluky, so if back there it is best to motor through. There is a story about an 18th century smuggler, Murty O’Sullivan who ran several ships from Eyries, near there. Once, when he was lying off the Kenmare River because he did not want to approach the coast in a gale, he was chased by a Royal Navy frigate. He sailed towards the shore, as if to deliberately run aground. Then, as Dursey Sound opened, he evaded capture by bearing up and sailing through the channel to the Kenmare River side, Unsure of the waters the frigate did not chance the passage – just as well, as the Flag Rock lies in the centre of the channel. A fascinating character, Murty was an active recruiter for the Irish Brigade in the French army, transporting his recruits to France, obtaining ‘head money’ and returning with brandy. He also fought at Fontenoy and Culloden and was a favourite of the Austrian Empress. He eventually was shot in cold blood and his body towed behind a ship to Cork, where his head was placed on a spike for a year or so.

A great trip it’s only now after am back do I really appreciate the journey.
    Next time; I will take time, and hopefully not have to spend a week and half living on board’ in a boat yard.
    Ceo Na Mara seem too handle rough seas very well.
    Since I have nothing to compare it to; I am just going by my gut feeling.
    See big waves and swell coming towards me’ and then feeling nothing when she rides over them, must be good.
    The bull the cow and the calf?
    For many years I spent the summer in allihies; in a tent, the moved to a huge caravan 12x8 luxury, compared to the tent’ looking across at the bull and the calf. My grandfather and his brothers worked in the copper mines; then on to butte’ in America’ then migrated back to cork.
    We even went across on the cable car to Dursey Island a couple of times.
    Some day I will pull in there and anchor for an evening.

Evening all
    It’s been awhile since my last post.
    I have been trying to get out as often as I can over the last few months.
    I have learnt a lot since the summer.
    I have invested in a roller type fuller or the forestay.
    It is a type that can be used with hank on sails while not as good as a roller furler.
    It,s a lot cheaper and I can make use o the sails that I have without any modification
    It is now a lot safer dropping the Genoa as a I can now do this while on the mooring
    And unfurl it when I get out beyond chrosshaven.
    It is working well so far

here,s the setup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you have a online gallery of all your photos or even a condensed version of this thread somewhere. For those of us seeing the thread for the first time.

beauf wrote: »
    Do you have a online gallery of all your photos or even a condensed version of this thread somewhere. For those of us seeing the thread for the first time.

Click on his Facebook page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Super thanks.

Looks an amazing project. Well done.

Glad to see you are getting on so well, keep posting please?

Evening all
    Since I launched Ceo Na Mara last June 2016; other than having to replace the stern tube and the shaft.
    Things have been going quite well’ nothing major has been broken or damaged
    I did however have some problems with the shrouds’ loosening on occasions’
    This happened a couple of times until I figured out that the mast foot, was moving forward and backward a couple of inches.
    I had thought that the weight of the mast’ and the shrouds would not have allowed it to move.
    A movement of two inches at the foot meant a couple of feet at the head of the mast .
    It took me awhile to figure this out’ and determine that this was indeed the reason, I had problems with the shrouds’
    So I fitted a stop to prevent this from happening again so far it seems to have worked.

All part of the payback for the hard work you put into her. :)

Evening all
    Over the last few months, I have tried to get out on the water as often as I can.
    The hank on sails with the roller setup works.
    Furled or unfurled there’s no in-between.
    I have been trying out; sheet to tiller steering, or rather boom to tiller steering.
    So far my efforts have had mixed results.
    On some points of sail’ it works great, others not so good.
    I think I might have to fit a boomvang.
    I need to get something sorted in the next couple of months’ as I plan to sail around Ireland.
    This summer or late spring.
    So far the clockwise route seems the best option.

I’ve spent a few bob
    I invested in a electric outboard motor, and a 16-20ah lithium battery’ and a 2.3 meter dingy.
    What was the reason for this moment of madness you might ask.
    Last year while making my way from Cork harbour to Fenit
    I had a quicksilver 3.70 dingy; a 4hp motor, I might as well have had a pair of flippers.
    I could not use either’ for the purpose I had intended.
    Although I had inflated the dingy, and had the engine, hanging off the transom.
    Unless I had some assistance; then I was unable to make use of either of them; and had to use pontoons or stay onboard’ if I used a mooring’ which happened on a few occasions.
    The dingy, was just to big’ to enable me to bring it aboard alone’ the engine’ I might have been able to manage.
    I stored the inflated dingy up front; this made it difficult to raise the hank on sails’ in the end I deflated the dingy and just stored it at the back .
    This year hopefully’ while making my way around the big rock; I will be able to make use of a lot more safe havens; and only make use of pontoons’ when necessary to refuel, or replenish some stores, shave and a shower comes to mind.
    The dingy is a Hydro force Caspian 2.3 meter; if the other half wants to come along’ she can stay and mind the boat.:P
    I can easily lift this dingy’ onbord alone, and keep it inflated’ and stored up front, as I feel the smartrooler will make it a lot easer to manage the hank on sails.
    The electric outboard; this a Chinese nock off; 55lb trust, but since the more expensive motors are all made in china anyway’ I went for the no name unit’ if I get a this year out of it’ then I might invest in a better one.
    The battery is a powerhouse golf battery with USB port.
    It is roughly rated 16 to 20 amp hours depending on use.
    It can also be used to charge the lenovo tablet; that I have navionics installed; phone camera and anything else the can use a USB port to recharge.
    It can be fully drained; unlike a lead acid battery’ and will last a lot longer, than a lead acid battery.
    I would have needed a 30 to 40ah lead acid battery; to do the same job, and it would not last more than a couple of years with luck; this battery should last at least three times longer, and weighs’ less than a 2.5 litre of paint.
    So far after it’s first charge I ran it at setting no2 for an hour; and setting no4 for a half hour, before it stopped.
    I will have to charge and discharge, it at least three or four times’ before it will take a proper charge; how fast this will move the dingy I will have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

I’ve spent a few bob
    I invested in a electric outboard motor, and a 16-20ah lithium battery’ and a 2.3 meter dingy.
    What was the reason for this moment of madness you might ask.
    Last year while making my way from Cork harbour to Fenit
    I had a quicksilver 3.70 dingy; a 4hp motor, I might as well have had a pair of flippers.
    What's the axe for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As well as the electric Torqeedo outboards on my cat, I have a 2.3 inflatable with a 30lb electric outboard that cost me £99.00 about 9 years ago from Amazon. It is powered by a 75 amp hour AGM battery, which is not too heavy. I am based on Lough Derg, so I don't have to use the inflatable for long distances, although, I have travelled up and back down the Woodford river without a problem. Your motor will have the power to drive the inflatable OK, but I feel that your battery is a bit on the small side. If there is any wind, or you want to move at a reasonable speed, you will be running on the 4 or 5 throttle setting and you will be lucky to do a 10 minute each way run, into a beach or across the bay to a shop etc. I am not very good with calculations in volts amps etc., but will you be charging the battery with the boat's main engine, or a generator? If you use the outboard a lot, it may take a good bit of charging to keep its battery at full power. Keep your oars handy. Happy cruising this season.
    Jim.

Thanks for your response James
    I hear what you are saying.
    I was going to go for, a sixty amp hour AGM battery.
    It was, being able to handle a battery of this size, standing on a small dingy’ that made me look into the lithium battery.
    60ah battery drawn down 50 percent; if I want it to last any amount of time, gives me thirty amp hours to work with.
    The golf battery’ at roughly 20ah, gives me 20ah, lithium works differently to lead acid batteries.
    I can only go on my experience to date; and last year sailing from Cork to Finet; other than getting a lift from the life boat into Baltimore.
    I had to berth at pontoons, or stay onboard’ this gets expensive at thirty to forty Euro a pop.
    I have tested the motor twice now; at setting no 4 ; this I hope will be the normal setting’ for getting me about’ the first test it lasted forty minuet’s the second forty five; I will have to charge and discharge’ the battery, two or three more times’ before I get a indication as to how long I get’ motoring as this setting .
    If I get up to fifty minuets’ then this should be more than enough for most moorings’ or anchorage.
    If not then I still have the 4hp on the transom
    It’s the charge, and discharge, and long life of the lithium battery, that I went for.
    Only time will tell, I can always get another battery and run it in series’ and it will still weigh far less than a lead acid battery.
    I intend to charge the battery onboard; the charger draws 1amp, and it takes three and a half hours to reach full charge.
    the 100ah leisure battery’ charged from the wind generator and engine; can handle the charge.
    However the charger and battery is so small; it will fit easily in my backpack; and I can charge it while having a pint; and updating my charts with the free wi-fi. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It looks like you have thought it out pretty well. I just went for the cheapest way out. Light is good. I do have a handy Bulmers 6-can cool bag with handles that the battery sits snugly into :).
    One of the lads in the club is using a golf battery (not sure what type) that he already had and has no problem getting out to and back from his mooring.
    You have the right idea - The easier you make a task, the more you'll relax and enjoy your cruising.
    Jim.

Evening all
    I went out sunday and learnt the importance of interpreting the weather forecast
    What i mean is taking the worst of several forecast and acting on it
    One said 10 to 15 knots the other 20 to 25 knots
    Of course of course i took the better one :confused:
    Just as well i put on the jib sail and not the jenoa
    I was going to put in a reef but decided not to; this i would regret:(
    At one stage’ out passed roches point the wind indicator read 33 knots:eek:
    While i did not lose control
    Neither was i in complete control
    I learnt the value of depowering the mainsail and its limitations
    An exciting day to say the least ;)
    The rigging and the mast held up just as well i sorted out the mast foot

I use this site for surfing, it's in german but it's easy to figure out, GFS, 10M wind is most useful.
    http://old.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Also get PocketGrib for you phone, it's worth paying for it to get the extra few says of forecast, but the free version is good enough for a weekend.

The wind symbols are easy to read if you know what they are, the long side is the direction, each full bar is 10 knots, a half is 5 knots. Be carefull with the forecast on TV they give KM not knots.

• Advertisement

space hopper I had a look at the sites
    I usually go with meterain and wind guru and synoptic charts.
    However having the time I looked at others and basically had to much information
    I had all the information I needed
    I made the wrong decision not to put in the reefs
    I should have taken my own advise.
    The most important thing here is I learnt a valuable lesson
    And learnt that Ceo Na Mara can handle a fair amount of punishment.
    This weekend looks to be pretty much the same weather wise
    If I get out I will put in the reefs and see what difference it will make

The charts for going around the big rock just arrived
    Last year I found them of more use than the ipad chart plotter
    Folded and put into a plastic folder they were in arms reach in the cockpit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Copper, you should be able to put a reef in the main with the sail up while at sea.
    It's not just something that you do when preparing to go out, you should be able to react to changing conditions.

Same goes for the foresail - you shouldn't be stuck with your first choice.

I imagine that both these things could be difficult to do when sailing solo but you need to be able to react to quickly changing conditions.

Copper, you should be able to put a reef in the main with the sail up while at sea.
    It's not just something that you do when preparing to go out, you should be able to react to changing conditions.

Your right
    On reflection I should have put in two reefs last weekend
    It is something I will have to master.
    It was inexperience; and a little of fear’ that I didn’t put in a reef.
    Having been out in 30 to 35kn winds I now know what to expect.
    While I would tackle putting a reef’ on the mainsail, while out for the day.
    I would be reluctant to change the head sail unless it was absolutely necessary.
    However at some stage I will have to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you have to take a reef, I always find it easiest to heave to first, especially when short handed, provided of course that you have sea room available. This will slow the boat, reduce heel, and take most of the pressure off the main allowing the sliders to move much more easily in their track.

Do you have dual forestays and a spare halyard? If so, you can rig a second pair of sheets, (or use the spinnaker sheets) and hoist a smaller headsail inside the larger one. Then ease the sheet on the outside sail and drop it behind the new one.

I'd recommend practising in light winds before you have to do it in anger.

Evening all
    I fitted a lazy jack system’ to help with the reefing’ and lowering of he main sail.
    It’s the aldi version; I post a few photos when I can.
    I am hoping to careen; Coe na Mara, Saturday’ in order to change a sea Cox’ and clean the speed log.
    It will also give me the chance to touch up any antifouling if need be.
    I have almost all the charts for going around Ireland; in May’ and have marked out the harbours and bolt holes; so the can be seen at a glance if needs be.
    There’s a handy link to an app.
    http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#10/54.8195/-5.6558

• Advertisement
Advertisement