Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom's eFibre

• 13-10-2013 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Has anybody signed up for this and had any problem with it.

What is the procedure ie
    Do they have to replace existing phone socket
    Can you still use existing extension phones (3) using a splitter
    Do they have to replace modem
    Is the speed as good as they say
    Any hidden charges

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

yoyo wrote: »
    Moved from Comp & Tech
    It would be helpfull if you told me where it was moved to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

practice wrote: »
    It would be helpfull if you told me where it was moved to.

It says at the top of the page....

To answer your questions:
    Procedure is Order, Appointment, Fitting by installer, Done.
    No, the NTU is replaced.
    You can use the phones, but the modem will not work there.
    Yes, new modem
    It is
    Not that Im aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

I think when you sign up for it you are entering a new contract for 18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

What is the procedure ie
    Do they have to replace existing phone socket yes
    Can you still use existing extension phones (3) using a splitter yes but dsl filters no the new phone socket aka NTU has one socket (left) for the fibre modem and one socket (right) for the phone. if you need more sockets (Data Point Extentions) in other rooms you need to order them at the point of sale
    Do they have to replace modem yes you will get a zyxel f1000 vdsl2 modem
    Is the speed as good as they say it depends how close your house is to the cabinet max distance is 1200m 0-300m should see 70mb 301 -500m 50mb 501 - 600m 40mb 601 - 700m 30mb 701+ speeds drop down from 25mb to 18mb
    Any hidden charges no if you read the terms and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What is the procedure ie

Answers below:

Do they have to replace existing phone socket - Unless you already have a modern NTU with a splitter faceplate already installed, yes you get a new phone socket.

Can you still use existing extension phones (3) using a splitter - Yes, the NTU is a central splitter. You can plug your phones into the extension sockets without needing any splitters. No DSL signals are at any sockets other than the NTU data socket. Your modem must be plugged into the NTU.
    Do they have to replace modem Yes. It's a different technology to ADSL, so you need a new modem.
    Is the speed as good as they say Depends on how far you are from the cabinet. But, it's usually pretty decent.
    Any hidden charges - Not that I'm aware of, there are several providers : Eircom Retail, Vodafone, UTV, Magnet, Digiweb ... Different contract lengths, fees etc apply ... read your T&Cs before signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

SpaceTime
    Thank you for your reply.
    Sorry I took a while to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamesyod1982

I recently joined eircom with the intention of signing up for efibre .

I am a new customer to eircom, so I had to sign-up first to the ordinary broadband so I can get connected, I was then told by an eircom sales rep that all I had to do then was ring-up and get upgraded to efibre.

I did exactly this, and was then told that I could not get efibre yet.
    This does not make any sense to me, as I live in Letterkenny near the hospital. I live in a housing estate, where my next door neighbours are eircom customers and have efibre.

Can anyone please explain why they are telling me I can get efibre when my neighbours have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Try the Talk to Eircom forum.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

Advertisement