Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checking LeapCard balance

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it's a bit mad alright. I only use the bus, so to pick up my online topup I have to go the local shop anyway, so I may as well buy the topup there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It does if you only use the buses. I suggest you change your form of transport so :P

?
    The touch on/offs are seen by us as one journey, but for the card each touch, is an action it has done. It's not thinking about what the journey is. Only what occurred at that point in time.

It's traditional to turn off debug mode when a system goes live.

bk wrote: »
    You really shouldn't have to select where you pick up your online topup....

Exactly. The system seem to reflect the mindset of a programmer, not an end user.

That said I think its a great system. it just feels a little bit like beta software. But can appreciate the hardware infrastructure is holding it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

beauf wrote: »
    ?

For a bus there is only touch on, not touch on/touch off. So each time you look at the transaction history as a bus user, you don't need to try and calculate the fare you are charged when looking that the touch on amount, along with the rebate applied.
    It's traditional to turn off debug mode when a system goes live.

Viewing both the touch on event and the touch off event in your card's history isn't a debug mode. The tab states explicitly that it is "Travel Credit History Information," I'd be surprised if I was in the minority in wanting to see everything that affects the credit balance on my card as opposed to a summary.

For a bus there is only touch on, not touch on/touch off. ...

I said tag off. Nothing to do with buses.
    Viewing both the touch on event and the touch off event in your card's history isn't a debug mode. ...

It doesn't show you you what a journey cost. The end user would have to do the calculation. Maybe I'm alone in expecting not to have to do a calculation to find out the cost per journey.

Look at it another way. For buses its shows cost per journey. For tag off it doesn't. Unless of course you look at it from a programmers POV, simply record the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I said tag off. Nothing to do with buses.

I think that the previous poster was posting tongue-in-cheek to be fair.
    It doesn't show you you what a journey cost. The end user would have to do the calculation. Maybe I'm alone in expecting not to have to do a calculation to find out the cost per journey.

Look at it another way. For buses its shows cost per journey. For tag off it doesn't. Unless of course you look at it from a programmers POV, simply record the event.

Oyster will show you the detail if you want it (pluses and minuses), but for each trip that you take it will only show the summary cost on the main journey history. You need to select "detail" to see the tag on-tag off info.

I'm rather surprised that LEAP haven't done this.

They probably will when they finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They probably will when they finish it.

In 20xx? Or maybe 2xxx?

It works well for rail users though.

The buses have a bit to go. Beats cash though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Impressed by the new Leapcard android app, checking balance, and topping up, progress....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

webwayz wrote: »
    Impressed by the new Leapcard android app, checking balance, and topping up, progress....

As other jurisdictions move away from cards altogether. Leap seems to be perpetually 6/7 years behind other systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

As other jurisdictions move away from cards altogether. Leap seems to be perpetually 6/7 years behind other systems

1. Very few cities have actually moved away from local cards to open loop cards. London is one in a small list and it was both expensive and complicated.

2. You're assuming that they're not doing any work towards moving from Leap to open loop.

3. You're assuming that it's not possible for them to work on improving Leap and moving to open loop at the same time. This would obviously be a sensible strategy since any move away from Leap is likely to take a long time and there are immediate benefits to making passengers switch from cash to solve form of card.

Advertisement