Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castrating lambs, yes or no?

• 13-10-2013 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

It's a long way off, I know, with flocks like my own not even having let the ram out yet, but it's a topic that comes up a lot.

What's your opinion on it? Do you castrate or leave lambs entire and what's your reasoning behind it? Are you selling store, factory, butcher?

2011 I didn't castrate all and done better on the lambs I left entire having accidentally run into a Muslim holiday.

2012 I deliberately didn't castrate aimed for the Muslim holiday and fell flat on my face price wise :D

2013 castrated all and was happy with what I got.

2014?.........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

It's a long way off, I know, with flocks like my own not even having let the ram out yet, but it's a topic that comes up a lot.

What's your opinion on it? Do you castrate or leave lambs entire and what's your reasoning behind it? Are you selling store, factory, butcher?

2011 I didn't castrate all and done better on the lambs I left entire having accidentally run into a Muslim holiday.
    R
    2012 I deliberately didn't castrate aimed for the Muslim holiday and fell flat on my face price wise :D

2013 castrated all and was happy with what I got.

2014?.........

Pretty simillar to u CM. Last year I didn't castrate them on purpose for the Muslim festival. Didn't pay. This year I castrated them all except 2 that got away on me. They were in the first group of lambs sent to factory. However as I always have a few left at this time of year I'm glad they are all castrated.

Soto answer Ure question I will be dojng it again next year.

Advertisement