Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyths Toy Stores = No Doctor Who toys!

Options
  • 13-10-2013 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So with Halloween in mind I thought I would get a Doctor Who 'Cyberman mask' for the nephew, so I went in search at my nearest Smyths Toy store. No sign of any Doctor Who merchandise on display so I asked an assistant who told me that they don't stock any of their merchandise as its an English programme, and their merchandise is only stocked in their English stores!!! needless to say I took that with a big pinch of salt while scratching my head, so I then asked the manager himself, who informed me that there is absolutely no demand for Doctor Who merchandies in the ROI, and that if I wanted anything I would have to either need to go up North, or try Hamleys in Dublin, who he said were a bit expensive . . .

Considering just how big Doctor Who is among young (& older) people, I thought this Incredible.

So why Don't Smyths Toy Stores sell Doctor Who merchandise in the ROI?

Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭ted1

LordSutch wrote: »
    So with Halloween in mind I thought I would get a Doctor Who 'Cyberman mask' for the nephew, so I went in search at my nearest Smyths Toy store. No sign of any Doctor Who merchandise on display so I asked an assistant who told me that they don't stock any of their merchandise as its an English programme, and their merchandise is only stocked in their English stores!!! needless to say I took that with a big pinch of salt while scratching my head, so I then asked the manager himself, who informed me that there is absolutely no demand for Doctor Who merchandies in the ROI, and that if I wanted anything I would have to either need to go up North, or try Hamleys in Dublin, who he said were a bit expensive . . .

Incredible I thought.

So why Don't Smyths Toy Stores sell Doctor Who merchandise in the ROI?

Just curious.
    They told you that there is absolutely no demand. So why take up valuable shelf space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ted1 wrote: »
    They told you that there is absolutely no demand. So why take up valuable shelf space?

I agree with what you say, but can there really be no demand for Doctor Who merchandise (specially as Christmas)? Obviously not.

I can and will of course go to Hamleys, but Smyths is so close to me hence the enquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Why not order it online and get it cheaper and delivered directly to your door.

Sometimes its nice to hold and see the product first, before you commit to buying. The thought of a massive Toy store like Smyths without this merchandise is still baffling to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

There is no demand Doctor Who isn't that popular in Ireland it never has been I worked in a toy store years ago and we had some Doctor Who stuff but it didn't sell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its just not a popular show with kids in Ireland for whatever reason, shame really
    Given its not a overly popular show I cant say I blame Smyths for not filling shelfs with doctor who stock,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm pretty sure I've seen some Doctor Who stuff in there before. Maybe they used to have it and stopped stocking it because it didn't sell.

You could try Forbidden Planet, they definately have some Doctor Who stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Is it not a fact though that Irish toy stores are rubbish - including Hamleys? When I buy presents for my children I invariably go online - choice and value are available if you're prepared to do some research. I don't like having to spend so much of my money abroad but our lazy retailers force me to, year after year...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Shocking!!! This is a consumer issue of the highest order!!!! Exclamation Mark. Why, I went in there looking for a Yo Kan atchoo-Yodashai-Ku mask the other day. It's a very popular kids show in Freedonia and they didn't have it. Madness!! Burn the place down!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The answer is in your own post. There is no demand for Dr Who toys here. I watch the Dr but I know very few kids ( Or adults) who do. Hardly the end of the world that Smyth's don't stock a mask for you.

• Advertisement

Is it not a fact though that Irish toy stores are rubbish - including Hamleys? When I buy presents for my children I invariably go online - choice and value are available if you're prepared to do some research. I don't like having to spend so much of my money abroad but our lazy retailers force me to, year after year...:(

Utter nonsense Smyths is a great toy shop and nine out of ten times will be the cheapest especially againest other shops like Toys R Us

Utter nonsense Smyths is a great toy shop and nine out of ten times will be the cheapest especially againest other shops like Toys R Us

Perhaps we just haven't different expectations of what a toy shop should be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I find 99% of Irish retail to be utter crap. If they do happen to sell what I'm looking for (about 10% of the time) it's not in stock. If it goes wrong they haven't a clue about consumer rights. Sorry this rant is rather OT but +1 on forbidden planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,083 ✭✭✭✭L1011

:pac:

You seem to have amazingly unrealistic ones, anyway. This isn't 1930s New York with idealistic childhood ideas of toy shops.

What, exactly, are you being forced online to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bepolite wrote: »
    I find 99% of Irish retail to be utter crap. If they do happen to sell what I'm looking for (about 10% of the time) it's not in stock. .

Are you looking for low volume or niche stuff like the OP? Shops are there to make money , they stock the stuff people want. Lego, current kids tv show stuff, popular films etc. Ending up with boxes of crap no one will buy at the end of every year is of no benefit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

MYOB wrote: »

You seem to have amazingly unrealistic ones, anyway. This isn't 1930s New York with idealistic childhood ideas of toy shops.

In my case a dress up knights outfit for my grandson.

I wanted a generic one with helm, breastplate, sword and shield unrelated to any TV show whatsoever.

Couldn't find one in Cork...found one online ( total cost a tenner incl p&p) and he plays with it constantly.

Dr Who stuff I get in Argos.

Books, DVDs, computer games, models, electrical toys need I go on? Basically for anything that's not bog standard I find it a waste of time even looking in Ireland - the Republic anyway.

Books, DVDs, computer games, models, electrical toys need I go on? Basically for anything that's not bog standard I find it a waste of time even looking in Ireland - the Republic anyway.

If they stocked he things you want , then they would become bog standard.the
    Irony is great

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Book shops do books , no? DVD's in HMV, Xtra vision etc. (the fact that there aren't many shops doing these things point to people not buying enough of them to warrant the shops staying open) . Toy shops would have the electrical toys theres demand for. Again, stocking stuff all over the country that a handful of people will want only results in them losing money.

Do people still buy new books and DVDs in Irish shops? I thought that they didn't and that's the reason so many of them have shut down or are on their last legs.

• Advertisement

Specific things rather than general lists of things that are, in general, widely available here.

People have a pathetic defeatist attitude to finding products on the high street these days.

Specific things rather than general lists of things that are, in general, widely available here.

People have a pathetic defeatist attitude to finding products on the high street these days.

Thank you, but I value my time (and cash) and have no intention of tramping all over town in a fruitless attempt to spend my money In Ireland. You want an example: I recently tried to buy the "Strumpet City" DVD in Xtravision - they had never heard heard of it - but on this occasion I was at least able to find it on the RTE sales website.

Thank you, but I value my time (and cash) and have no intention of tramping all over town in a fruitless attempt to spend my money In Ireland. You want an example: I recently tried to buy the "Strumpet City" DVD in Xtravision - they had never heard heard of it - but on this occasion I was at least able to find it on the RTE sales website.

One example then... right, damning indictment of Irish retailers isn't it.

Xtravision sell chart movies. Did you try a branch of Golden Discs, HMV or an independent retailer; or indeed even Tesco?

Xtravision sell chart movies. Did you try a branch of Golden Discs, HMV or an independent retailer; or indeed even Tesco?

Don't mean to butt into this argument but we don't all have Golden Discs or HMV to shop in. As for an independent, the last of them closed here 5 years or more back. Sometimes you just a have to go on line to buy even basic items like DVDs, books or toys. I'd love to buy locally or even within Ireland but the retailers just aren't here any more. And I'm not going to spend a day 60 miles away searching for items in unfamiliar stores that still may not have what I want.
    Back to Smyth's, we have a store locally and it has all the regular stuff but very poor staff attitude and bad service. I use it when I can - but they still don't have any Doctor Who items.

No I didn't - I value my time (can you read?) - once located on the RTE website it was a couple of clicks and presto, two days later in the mailbox. There's no satisfying you, I gave an example and if you think that I've nothing better to do than type up lists of things that I have had to buy online - forget it. You win the argument as it seems to mean so much for you to always be right. :D

No I didn't - I value my time (can you read?) - once located on the RTE website it was a couple of clicks and presto, two days later in the mailbox. There's no satisfying you, I gave an example and if you think that I've nothing better to do than type up lists of things that I have had to buy online - forget it. You win the argument as it seems to mean so much for you to always be right. :D

You gave an example where you tried the wrong type of shop. Which, based on your original argument, is proof that you need to go online for everything.

Impeccable logic there, pity its completely deranged.

Can you go through how this makes retailers "lazy" while you're at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

As somebody else said, Forbidden planet etc stock that kind of stuff, it will not be cheap though. Doctor Who products tend to be on the more expensive side.

ebbsy wrote: »
    As somebody else said, Forbidden planet etc stock that kind of stuff, it will not be cheap though. Doctor Who products tend to be on the more expensive side.

Sorry but who are Forbidden planet ? Are they a high street store?

Sorry but who are Forbidden planet ? Are they a high street store?

Retail chain with a small number of branches here (possibly only 1, even).

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    There is no demand Doctor Who isn't that popular in Ireland it never has been I worked in a toy store years ago and we had some Doctor Who stuff but it didn't sell.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Its just not a popular show with kids in Ireland for whatever reason, shame really
    Given its not a overly popular show I cant say I blame Smyths for not filling shelfs with doctor who stock,
    Shocking!!! This is a consumer issue of the highest order!!!! Exclamation Mark. Why, I went in there looking for a Yo Kan atchoo-Yodashai-Ku mask the other day. It's a very popular kids show in Freedonia and they didn't have it. Madness!! Burn the place down!!!
    The answer is in your own post. There is no demand for Dr Who toys here. I watch the Dr but I know very few kids ( Or adults) who do. Hardly the end of the world that Smyth's don't stock a mask for you.

Thank you all for your input, I now accept that there is no demand for Doctor Who merchandise, hence its absence on Smyths shelves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement