Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyths Toy Stores = No Doctor Who toys!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Is it not a fact though that Irish toy stores are rubbish - including Hamleys? When I buy presents for my children I invariably go online - choice and value are available if you're prepared to do some research. I don't like having to spend so much of my money abroad but our lazy retailers force me to, year after year...:(

Smyths - Voted by toy industry as best toy store in UK (they have over 40 stores in UK.) 2011, 2012 & 2013

Smyths, consistently voted by parent groups as best toy store in UK.

Smyths, Voted as on of the best retail stores to work in (UK too)

Maybe because they are Irish, you want to begrudge them their undoubted success. Sure we're world champions at begrudgery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MYOB wrote: »
    Retail chain with a small number of branches here (possibly only 1, even).

Awh, well not much use to me so. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sorry but who are Forbidden planet ? Are they a high street store?

they are an UK retailer of Scifi type merchandise, with a Dublin Store.
    Awh, well not much use to me so. :(

They do online orders, if you are not near Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

sandin wrote: »
    Smyths - Voted by toy industry as best toy store in UK (they have over 40 stores in UK.) 2011, 2012 & 2013

Smyths, consistently voted by parent groups as best toy store in UK.

Smyths, Voted as on of the best retail stores to work in (UK too)

Maybe because they are Irish, you want to begrudge them their undoubted success. Sure we're world champions at begrudgery!

I'm not Irish so the begrudgery thing doesn't enter into it. Anyway, Smyths being voted as the best toy store doesn't really hack it with me as the competition is? Online for choice and, in most cases, price. Perhaps I am a little different in what I look for as I'm generally not in the market for the latest rubbish imported from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm not Irish so the begrudgery thing doesn't enter into it. Anyway, Smyths being voted as the best toy store doesn't really hack it with me as the competition is? Online for choice and, in most cases, price. Perhaps I am a little different in what I look for as I'm generally not in the market for the latest rubbish imported from China.

FYI not everthing in there comes from China, some things are made right here:

http://www.hasbro.ie/about_us.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ted1 wrote: »
    FYI not everthing in there comes from China, some things are made right here:

http://www.hasbro.ie/about_us.html

As an aside, and completely off topic, that is one antiquated website!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They used to stock it, but it never really sold tbh. For whatever reason, it just never seemed to move in the Irish branches.

If you're in Dublin, Forbidden Planet on the quays would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Used to work in Smyths a few years ago, on the run up to christmas the stores are given lists of what the buyers in Galway think will be popular that season and order accordingly. If I remember correctly in 08/09 they gambled that Dr Who would be popular and stocked a load of stuff. Didn't budge. Might explain why they're not willing to repeat the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this post, as it really isn't a Consumer Issue, and plenty of alternative suggestions have been offered to the OP.

OP good luck with the hunt.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement