Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LL making contact before viewing?

Options
  • 13-10-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I'm currently looking for a new tenant for a property and have viewings booked for the current week. A previous landlord of a prospective tenant contacted me as soon as she made the booking with a glowing reference.

Is this something I should be wary of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I think that the fact that the "previous landlord" contacted you is very dubious. Does the landlord live close by or in another county? Could you visit the landlord to verify if she is a the prospective tenant's landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sounds very dubious alright. If you want to verify a reference then it takes more than just a phone call, which in fairness could be to/from anyone! Sounds very much like someone is trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sounds dodgy, how do you even know they are a landlord, could have been the propective tennants mate calling on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sounds dodgy, how do you even know they are a landlord, could have been the propective tennants mate calling on their behalf.

It almost certainly is the tenants mate... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could be just the tenant asked the previous LL to call and the LL was obliging her. You never really know if the person you are calling is actually a Landlord anyway without doing more research than agents generally do. I wouldn't think this is that dodgey and if everything else checks out I would see no reason to not consider the tenant. Might be just a case of being over eager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm always wary of previous landlord references. Way too easy to fake!

Advertisement