Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Project for next year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sorry but I don't get this at all or the claim about really saving 'space'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

You graft a tomato plant onto a potato plant and get potatoes from the roots, tomatoes from the top. Would have to be a good outside variety like 'Outdoor girl' to do well in the open though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

You graft a tomato plant onto a potato plant and get potatoes from the roots, tomatoes from the top. Would have to be a good outside variety like 'Outdoor girl' to do well in the open though.

No doubt you would not have a massive crop of either Potatos or tomatos, but if space is limited and yield was not a major issue, instead if you could pick cultivars for better tasting / flavour etc. But as was mentioned in the vid, you have to think about the toxins of the potato family if they have infected the fruit or tuber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Why isn't it space saving?

you have two "different" crops growing in a Pot taking up the space of one plant.
    Someone, with a 'Patio' garden I believe would find this useful.

Granted you may not have a sizable yield or maybe the Quailty/taste/etc may not be as good as the Norm.

The Idea is far from New, Fruit Trees (Apple) are often grafted with 2 or more cultivars to save space in commercial orchards, (Pollination purposes etc)

The idea alone, is great I think, to join two 'different' plants together to make one.

Advertisement