Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grumpy goats

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi

A group of us where going up Lugnaqulla via the Fraughan Rock Glen yesterday and as we went up the waterfall there we encountered two goats with fine sets of horns who didnt appear too happy to see us.

We had 3 small dogs with us and the goats seemed not to like them. They followed us up the waterfall and then as we descended they followed us as well.

Where we in any danger of being charged by the goats does anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

It was the dogs they had the problem with .

Strangely enough, have been followed by sheep but not goats. It's strange to be followed by sheep cos it runs contrary to the thousands of times they've just run off.

Feral goats can be skittish, and stink. Not sure if they charge. If it was domestic goats let loose, they...like my sheep...may have just been curious about the prospect of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I was followed on Inis Mór by two goats before. There were only two of us, and we didn't have dogs or anything, so we presumed they were being nosey and just ignored them.

They followed us for about an hour or so, and when we sat to eat, they stood and stared, but never came closer than about 20ft away.
    It was comical more than anything, like a scene from Fr. Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I had an incident where I had to fight one to keep my lunch. The goat won. It was humiliating loosing sandwiches to a goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

All the info you need except if they are dangerous lol

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/FeralGoat.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've often seen them in and around Glendalough, either around the Glenealo valley or up near Cullentragh at the southern end of the Derrybawn ridge, but have never seen them in Fraughan Rock Glen. Walking up beside the waterfall wouldn't be a great place to be chased by a grumpy billy goat especially if it was wet and a bit slippery underfoot!

Thats it Alun if one of them charged us from above on that waterfall we would have been in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

My wife and I freed a trapped goat before from Thorn bushes on the Western Way Hiking route. Its horns were caught in some pretty thick brambles and we wrestled with him to get him free for a good 10 or 15 mins. His friends came galloping over maybe thinking we were attacking him but they just stood around us in a near perfect circle and watched as we eventually got him free. Then the goat who we freed seem to stand there and give us a slight nod of his head and he turned and headed off with the other goats falling in behind him in a perfect marching formation, the whole incident was funny, we were just sorry we didn't have our video camera with us.

fair play to you hope something nice comes your way soon for your good deed

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lennyantonelli

Strangely enough, have been followed by sheep but not goats. It's strange to be followed by sheep cos it runs contrary to the thousands of times they've just run off.

Feral goats can be skittish, and stink. Not sure if they charge. If it was domestic goats let loose, they...like my sheep...may have just been curious about the prospect of food.

Yes, always feels a bit odd when sheep start following you. Makes me think some weird B-movie horror scenario is about to take place, a lá: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sheep_(2006_film)

The same when cattle follow me. Never happened with goats though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think it's a time of year thing with sheep, usually expecting to get fed I think. Must check with my neighbour. Can be strange alright, when a flock closes in.

Bullocks are the usual hazard in farmland of course, tend to be curious, rumbustious and generally don't like dogs. Don't be handled/ driven as much now as in times past so can get a bit frisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Goats ate most of the saddle off my motorbike in Glendalough years ago.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement