Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Pro Chronograph

• 13-10-2013 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, been looking into getting my own chrono, as I seem to be constantly fooling around inside guns nowadays, and there's nothing worse than looking forward to getting them skirmished only to find they're *that* tad bit too hot at the chrono.

I know the Xcortech is the best you can get in airsoft terms, but I can't really justify spending €130 on something I'll only use to make sure my guns' firing legally.

Has anyone bought, or had any experience with the UFC Pro chrono? It's half the price of the comparable Xcortech, Is it any good? Reliable? Will it take a few sideways bbs without coming apart?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Timooo_23 wrote: »
    Hey lads, been looking into getting my own chrono, as I seem to be constantly fooling around inside guns nowadays, and there's nothing worse than looking forward to getting them skirmished only to find they're *that* tad bit too hot at the chrono.

I know the Xcortech is the best you can get in airsoft terms, but I can't really justify spending €130 on something I'll only use to make sure my guns' firing legally.

Has anyone bought, or had any experience with the UFC Pro chrono? It's half the price of the comparable Xcortech, Is it any good? Reliable? Will it take a few sideways bbs without coming apart?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The xcortech is not the best chrono you can get, but as far as accuracy and consistency goes for the price it is excellent and a firm favourite with airsofters.

They cost $74 dollars on ehobby, express shipment is $33, so after exchange rates, and couriers taking the pound of flesh it comes to less than 100euro around 95-97 depending on rates. It is cheaper again to go regular shipping.

So some retailers make a nice bit of profit on them over here , I think SG does them for 99euro which is a decent price considering.

I honestly know nothing about the UFC chrono, it could be good, but some retailers, sites and techs use Xcortech's so your readings should be the same so no excuse if your aeg fires hot.

The UFC may give a different reading completely to the sites chrono. About a year ago me M4 shot 300fps ish at a skirmish using the notoriously fickle Madbull V2, so thought nothing more of it. I then purchased a xcortech x3200, tested my aeg and it fired 344fps???. Same BB's, hop off, no mods done. So naturally had to downgrade it.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell you whether they are good or not, if they are good then go for it, but my own opinion I would save a little extra and get the Xcortech.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭airsofter232

I personally own a UfC and have absolutely no problems with it. It shows about the same fps as the xcortech used where I play. If you aren't looking to spend that much on a chrono I think it is a good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

A rule of airsoft:
    "No two chronos are created equal"

No two chronos will give the same reading, you could be 8 fps over the limit on one and 5 fps under on another. So when upgrading try to stay under with some fps to spare depending on a chrono. At a site it doesn't matter if you are over at the chrono you failed it and it doesn't matter what your one at home says. The best reading for an airsoft device is with a very accurate and expensive ballistic chronograph, that has been calibrated. The ones we buy off the shelf are a "rough estimate" so they will always vary.

Now for the ufc chronograph, I own one and I use it. I am lucky because it is not that far off properly calibrated ones I tested it against with a consistent offset. My chrono is about 10 fps above in readings. I have been lucky too because most sites I have been to have not read my aegs tested on my chrono as being too hot, they generally read the same or not enough to be over the limit.

The chrono has a set of preset BB weights and sizes and you can change them to whatever size and weight you want when testing different BBs. It also has a Joule rating and BBs per second reading too which can give you a better idea of performance.

So to summarise my experience with mine, It is accurate enough and not far off the true mark and when I mod my aegs to it's reading of being under I usually end up being under at the field on the day.

But bringing back to the rule I mentioned, it does not mean that your chrono will be the same it might be off by more or reading low or reading nearer to true value so other chronos might show your aegs as being hot.

I read on another forum the words 'the fps limit is a limit, not a goal'.
    So modding your aeg to 327 fps might not be a great idea if you can't use it at a game because it failed the chrono.

Some shops might let you test your chrono against theirs if your ask politely (And buy some BBs too, as a courtesy).
    And try not to aim too high with the fps your want your aeg to shoot. The hopup and barrel will make a much bigger difference to accuracy and range than that extra 5-10fps, only big fps jumps like going from 0.55J to 0.8J will make a difference. Aegs at .8J or .9J can shoot plenty well, you don't need 0.95J or 0.99J if you risk being over on a different chrono.
    And when ever you chrono, place the chronograph on a flat surface. This will give the most accurate reading. Having the chrono at an angle will effect it as it is supposed to be reading a BB travelling at a flat trajectory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Thank you very much CpcRc! Just the kind of review I wanted :)

I usually set my guns for around 300-310fps just to be safe, but with no chrono, I'm only doing rough maths using the spring/ barrel/ teeth on sector!

Think I'll invest in it so. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

You could always go down the homemade route?

• Advertisement

ShRT wrote: »
    You could always go down the homemade route?

Shooting a can is not a chronograph......:D

Hehe - i wasn't thinking of that. More like this one or if someone is more techy something like this or this

ShRT wrote: »
    Hehe - i wasn't thinking of that. More like this one or if someone is more techy something like this or this

Nice post dude, the airgun one I really could not be holed with the math, but the others are pretty cool for a project.

Cheers! I have most of the parts for the second one.... its just getting time to put it together. I have access to an xcortech so i'm hoping to do some comparisons to dial it in.

Advertisement