Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google new terms and conditions

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    At the top of the Google search engine page the following message is diplayed:

Our new Terms of Service update how we display your information in content & ads.

From what little I read it seems they want to share some of my personal information with others. Are they going to just go ahead and do this if they dont hear from me. Or do I have to now spend my valuable time trying to find out how I have to 'Opt out' .

Can anyone give me some short answere to this. I do not want to share any of my personal information or anything else with anyone.
    I just want to use my gamail to send and recieve emails, nothing else.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Google is an advertising agency which just happens to have a search engine attached.
    If you want privacy online you have to get it yourself, by default you do not get it.
    All of your gmail emails are being read by a machine, check the relevant adverts next to each email next time.
    Alternatives like Scroogle were nice but have closed.
    New search engine scrapers that send your requests anonymously to google do exist

You could try the alternatives listed Here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭28064212

https://www.google.ie/intl/en/policies/terms/changes/

It's less than a page of writing, is it really that hard to read? And the only way to opt out is to stop using the services. Continued use after notification means acceptance of those terms

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thank you for that. However I thought I read that google was going to show endorsements and posts that I have made to other 3rd parties. For instance I thought google was going to somehow share posts and comments that I have made on boards or Facebook etc. I dont know how they would do such a thing but nothing surprises me anymore.
    Perhaps I have missunderstood what the change is, I'll take another read of it sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Xantia wrote: »
    You could try the alternatives listed Here
    Yep, been using Duck Duck Go for around a year now, and came across Start Page around June.
    Actually, many Linux OSs come with Duck Duck Go as the default search engine:cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah I used to use Scroogle a lot too before but Google changed the way that Google worked and Scroogle couldnt work any more.
    But it's nice to have less intrusive alternatives.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I disable cookies and web cache in my browser when using Google. Seems to work fine for me.

well,
    I've reread the T+Cs and it says that my name and photos may appear in some of their products. So where are they going to get my name and photo from. I have no recollection of ever giving them my name or photo !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

They are referring to Google+ a social network site where presumably you can indicate your like of a product or service.

Adverts displayed for the said product or service on other Google services could feature the name/photo of anyone who had indicated their like either specifically or in posts.

Thank you. I don't belong to any social networking sites so I have nothing to concern myself with.
    Thanks again , appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement