Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probation Issue

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Based in Galway, offered a job in Limerick a few weeks ago, worked there last week, signed a contract, probation of six months, however inside of 13 weeks I can leave or they can fire me without notice - first week went OK, then on Friday I received a call saying I had been offered a job in Galway, 3 months probation, salary similar (lower by 1k) - starts this week

I want the Galway job, a few issues however

1. Do I need to go down to Limerick tomorrow to inform Limerick company I am leaving or will an email/phone call suffice?

2. Would it be cheeky of me to ask them to pay me for the week I worked down there? They'll already be annoyed I am leaving after a week (I'll explain it's no reflection on them, just a long commute)

3. Is a 3 month probation contract better than a 6 month? less time before getting permanent contract but on the other hand less time to prove yourself - what would you prefer?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

NoWisdom wrote: »
    1. Do I need to go down to Limerick tomorrow to inform Limerick company I am leaving or will an email/phone call suffice?

I think it would be pretty rude to not resign in person, seeing as you've already worked there. That said, you're obviously not going to use them for a reference. I'd phone at the very least, and follow up with an email or letter. I'd expect they'll automatically pay you for your week.
    NoWisdom wrote: »
    3. Is a 3 month probation contract better than a 6 month? less time before getting permanent contract but on the other hand less time to prove yourself - what would you prefer?

It makes little difference to me personally - at least from the point of view of not being made permanent. It's not great if it delays pension contributions, healthcare etc. It most likely wouldn't factor in a decision between 2 jobs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course you need to resign in person! It's a small country, you don't want to piss people off unnecessarily. They will know that this sort of thing happens occasionally, and while they will be cross, they would rather it happened now than in a month when they've just trained you up.

And of course you should be paid for the week you worked.

Advertisement