Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUTY FREE PRICES STATES SIDE

Options
  • 13-10-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone know the cost of Lancome Dreamtone Serum in duty freein States? I know someone who will be travelling through Shannon, Newark and Los Angeles airports and would like them to pick it up forme. I know the price of it here €87 and on Macy’s website its $98 (€73). Persontravelling is an elderly parent to he won’t know anything about make up and Iwant to make it as easy as possible for him. Sometimes make up is cheaper in adepartment stores in the states than duty free prices. I have been unable tofind the price on line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The don't have duty free in airports in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes they do, if you are flying internationally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, they do. I have no idea about Newark, but I have killed many an hour in the Atlanta ones while waiting for flights home. They don't seem to be as big a deal over there, or have the wide ranging stock that the European ones do, but they definitely exist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The easiest option would be to pick it up at Macy's rather than hope that it's available at Newark Duty-Free (one of two companies who run the duty free stores don't stock the cream that you want http://www.ejeretail.com/productsCosmetics.html )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree with Ponster.

OP, in the US, the sales tax on cosmetics is very, very low compared to here. So there is not a huge difference in what you would pay for the item in a regular department store, versus what you would pay in the duty free shop at the airport. Get the parents to pop into the nearest Macys (or similarly large department store) when they are there, and they can shop at their leisure without having to rush to catch a plane. They will also be able to stash it away in their checked luggage & avoid the hassle of schlepping it around in their hand luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yes, they do. I have no idea about Newark, but I have killed many an hour in the Atlanta ones while waiting for flights home. They don't seem to be as big a deal over there, or have the wide ranging stock that the European ones do, but they definitely exist.

JFK, Boston and Chicago don't. Sakes tax is so low they aren't relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ted1 wrote: »

All three have airport shopping akin to duty free (presuming you're talking about Logan and O'Hare). Alcohol and tobacco tend to be cheaper than downtown but cosmetics are not necessarily cheaper and the selection can be limited.

OP I would definitely not rely on it being available in the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

There is definitely duty free in Chicago (O'Hare) airport. It's one store and it is rather small but it specifically says 'duty free' on it. I bought a few items there last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

JFK do in their international terminals.

I regularly buy spirits there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

JFK do in their international terminals.

I regularly buy spirits there.

Yep. a bottle of Jameson in NYC is $34 but you can currently pick up 2 for $50 in the JFK duty free.

• Advertisement
Advertisement