Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Legenderrys

• 13-10-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see this last time round?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xg8vw

"Documentary following a crew taking part in the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race"

Sounds interesting, but is on at the same time as Love/Hate AND Downton :mad:

Is it worth missing Downton (and trying to avoid all spoilers until it's shown later in the week) for?

ETA - there was an interview with some of them on Seascapes the other night, which I was half asleep listening to - sounded like a good article, I must go back and have a proper listen!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I reckon its worth a watch, I don't watch Love Hate or Downton. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Always worth missing downton and you can watch love/hate on rte1+1 at 1030

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vexorg wrote: »
    I reckon its worth a watch, I don't watch Love Hate or Downton. Thanks for the heads up.

Same here, I was watching the restoration man, but have now switched.

Not much sailing so far!

Thanks for the heads up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hmmm, that was.... a bit odd.

Nothing about the lead-up to the race, or the training, or how the bursary winners were picked. I'd have liked more of a back-story. They seemed like a VERY motley crew indeed.

Still, interesting. I'll be watching the second one.

(and catching up on L/H and Downton tomorrow evening!)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I really enjoyed it Heidi, thanks for posting :) I'd not have bothered otherwise.

Now back to my usual trash tv watching big fat gypsy weddings :)

• Advertisement

A bit of back story would have been interesting, but watchable all the same. Loved the toilet seat repair and carrying a sewing machine who would have thought :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tv listings have this on again tonight at 930.

Yep, once again just in time to clash with Downton and Love/Hate!

Vaguely maritime-related, but also interesting I reckon, is the programme on before it, about the laying of the first transatlantic cable - I got a potted history of it when I was on Valentia Island during the summer, and it's a mad (in a good way :D) story.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yep, once again just in time to clash with Downton and Love/Hate!

Vaguely maritime-related, but also interesting I reckon, is the programme on before it, about the laying of the first transatlantic cable - I got a potted history of it when I was on Valentia Island during the summer, and it's a mad (in a good way :D) story.

You can't leave us with a cliffhanger like that, spill the beans.

You can't leave us with a cliffhanger like that, spill the beans.
    Not a cliffhanger! (if you're even being serious!)

Just a bit mad to think that in the 1800s someone had the idea that they could lay a cable across the Atlantic - and when they failed the first time, had another go at it. Talk about having vision! I'm hoping that they give a bit of time to that in the programme this evening.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I misread what you posted, thought you had a history somehow, as opposed to you "got the history" :-)

Sorry, I misread what you posted, thought you had a history somehow, as opposed to you "got the history" :-)

Eh :confused:

Anyway, back on topic - what a really lovely young girl that was who featured tonight! And what a back story she had. She deserves to go far.

The youngfella from last week (who'd been sailing since he was 3 or something, and was cocky as hell) must have got bumped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Not a cliffhanger! (if you're even being serious!)

Just a bit mad to think that in the 1800s someone had the idea that they could lay a cable across the Atlantic - and when they failed the first time, had another go at it. Talk about having vision!

Didn't see the 'Cable' programme but know that area reasonably well - Although the first transatlantic cables arrived at Valentia Island in the 1860’s, a competitor American company named the Direct United States Telegraph Company laid its first trans-Atlantic cable in 1874. The American end was at Tor Bay, just south of Halifax in Nova Scotia. The other end terminated at Ballinskelligs. When the last drum of cable was being brought ashore by raft (the cable laying ship Great Eastern could not enter the shallow bay) the raft capsized in the surf. After swimming ashore the sodden works superintendent held up a golden guinea and shouted that the first man to bring the end of the cable ashore would gain it. Diving into the waves local man Donnacha (Denis) O’Leary swam out, eventually located the sunken end and successfully brought it ashore to gain the reward. Thenceforth that branch of the O’Leary family were locally known as ‘the Cables’. (It's the name of the pub in Ballinskelligs)
    The O'Learys were renowned for their strength and were a very tough family. After disputes with their landlord an attempt was made to evict them from their smallholding but the authorities were fought off. Later, a second attempt was made by two bailiffs with three assistants supported by thirty constabulary. The head bailiff ordered the roof to be demolished and climbing up to set an example he was brought to the ground when Cable's daughter Bridget dislodged the ladder on which he was standing and attacked him while he was on the ground. The supporting crowd of neighbours stoned the constabulary and two women were arrested but had to be quickly released for fear of further riot. This eviction attempt was also abandoned. Four days later the bailiffs came again – this time with 150 constabulary, but were enraged to find the O'Learys gone, the house abandoned and stripped of all furniture and fittings, including the doors.
    Don't know if I'd want that Bridget one on my crew!

Advertisement