Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub/bar for combined birthday/engagement party in November

Options
  • 13-10-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help. I've got a 30th birthday that's doubling up as my engagement party in Dublin towards the end of next month but I live in London so don't know Dublin inside out.

I'm basically looking for a relatively central venue where we can book an area for 30-40 people that will cater to both my generation (late-20s) and my parent's (50s/60s), where the music isn't completely blaring just because it's Saturday night and people can have a chat.

We have somewhere booked near Baggot Street that looks ok but I'm worried about the loud music aspect because some of my fiancee's family are coming from up the country and I don't want them travelling all that way for something where they can't hear themselves think. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

What day of the week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Hope someone can help. I've got a 30th birthday that's doubling up as my engagement party in Dublin towards the end of next month but I live in London so don't know Dublin inside out.

I'm basically looking for a relatively central venue where we can book an area for 30-40 people that will cater to both my generation (late-20s) and my parent's (50s/60s), where the music isn't completely blaring just because it's Saturday night and people can have a chat.

We have somewhere booked near Baggot Street that looks ok but I'm worried about the loud music aspect because some of my fiancee's family are coming from up the country and I don't want them travelling all that way for something where they can't hear themselves think. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The mercantile on dame street may suit you. They are quite big and regularly hold private functions. Also it is one of the best all round bars in Dublin.

http://www.mercantile.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

What day of the week?

Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

+1 on the Mercantile. My friend had her 30th there a few years ago on a Saturday night in November and it was brilliant!

Oscar's in Smithfield is another spot which could cater for your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I've mentioned them before, but my friend used findavenue.ie and was really pleased with it - they're a free venue finding service in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Think I've been in the Mercantile and I think it's a bit too loud and busy. Will give that findavenue crowd a shot. Should probably have mentioned I don't want to pay for a booking, but will probably buy some finger food or something. I don't know what Dublin's like, but practically everywhere in London asks for a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Waterloo on Baggot Street have a mezzanine with a private bar that's a great party venue. They have a dj downstairs usually so you can hear it upstairs but it's not too loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Hanlons on the NCR isn't too far from the city centre, and I found the coach house rooms to be a nice size for small to medium-sized private parties.

http://www.hanlons.ie/coach_house.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

vektarman wrote: »
    Hanlons on the NCR isn't too far from the city centre, and I found the coach house rooms to be a nice size for small to medium-sized private parties.

eh...not a pub I'd be recommending today. 4 people attending a 21st there were shot last night :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭loubeelou

vektarman wrote: »

Is that not where the shootings happened last night??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Would you consider reserving a section of a bar for Saturday night - puck somewhere that will also serve yiu finger food & has waiter service & yiu can have the best if both worlds. 30 people really isn't a lot & in a private room you might look really lost in a medium size space - as well as having to go up & down flights of stairs for bar service - might not e perfect. Zanzibars is huge & usuAlly very accommodating - waitress service & good bar/finger food which is a bit upmarket too but good value at the same time !!

Congrats btw! X 2!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Would you consider reserving a section of a bar for Saturday night - puck somewhere that will also serve yiu finger food & has waiter service & yiu can have the best if both worlds. 30 people really isn't a lot & in a private room you might look really lost in a medium size space - as well as having to go up & down flights of stairs for bar service - might not e perfect. Zanzibars is huge & usuAlly very accommodating - waitress service & good bar/finger food which is a bit upmarket too but good value at the same time !!

Congrats btw! X 2!

Zanzibars has been closed for years.

Cafe en seine on dawson street might be worth considering the place is massive.

http://www.cafeenseine.ie/

Just to update on this: on the recommendation from another thread we went to the Clarendon off Grafton St. They let us rent out their penthouse bar free of charge and we had a great night. Finger food was good value, they've an iPhone dock for music and they left us upstairs for ages after the rest of the bar closed which was a really nice touch (London's a world away in that regard). Thanks everyone for all your help.

Advertisement