Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Question

• 13-10-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

I am on Eircom "Up to 24 Mb" BB package for years now and in all that time over multiple routers I have never connected at more than 12mb. I see this connection speed when I log onto the routers.

My current router is a Netgear DGND3300v2 ADSL2 router.

Is this because I am connected to a ADSL card back in the exchange instead of an ADSL 2 card or is this to do with the qualityof the line into my house? I am off the Belcamp exchange and by road less than 1km or ~600m as the crow flys away.

On a "Up to XXMb" connection should you not see a connection speed of XX?

On Speedtest.net I usually have arouns 10Mbps download and .5Mbps upload.

While I have no reall issues with the speed, I don't see why I am paying for up to 24Mb and only connected at 12Mb as surely this means that I will NEVER EVER get anything over the 12 Mb connection speed.

TIA for any and all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

You need to post your line stats to get an answer to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

bealtine wrote: »
    You need to post your line stats to get an answer to that...
    Not sure what is meant by your response or where to find these stats on my router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

A quick Google says this is what was asked for, is that correct?

Connection Speed Down Stream: 12284kbps
    Connection Speed UP Stream: 670 kbps
    Line Attenuation Down Stream: 31.0db
    Line Attenuation Up Stream: 13.4db
    Noise Margin Down Stream: 7.1db
    Noise Margin Up Stream: 22.5db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The service is "up to 24mbit/s" this is only achieved if you live in the exchange building.

The stats you gave there would equate to a line of about 2.2km long.

Which would give you a connection speed of up to 14Mbit/s syncing to the exchange and a real world speed of about 12.8Mbit/s

You can calculate it yourself here : http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Looks like your line and modem are performing perfectly. You just have a longish line.

The only way you'll get a speed improvement is to switch to a fibre service or cable i.e an alternative technology.

Advertisement