Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Query

Options
  • 13-10-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

My home is setup with a network router downstairs in the sitting room

I have a desktop upstairs currently on the network using a Belkin Wireless USB adapter (Win7 machine), I want to test out linux on my machine but I've been unable to get Linux working with the adapter so I'm hoping to use the phone port in my room to try and get the linux machine setup.

I have a sky router downstairs, I have a spare router which I figured I could plug into the upstairs phone port, then connect the linux machine to that, should it be as simple as giving the upstairs router the same SSID & password as the downstairs router? - I don't think this will work due to the fact that the routers have different manufacturers.

The other alternative is to setup the upstairs router and have the desktop on a different network to the other devices in the house - not broadcasting wirelessly in order to stop conflicts.

I'm looking for suggestions please. Are these the only alternatives available to me or does anybody see a glaringly obvious solution that I've failed to think of?

TIA for any imput!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

You can't put 2 routers on the 1 phone line at the same time.
    If he 2nd router supports it you could make that a wireless bridge.
    Failing that you'll either have to run a cable from the upstairs pc to the downstairs router, or a set of homeplugs.

Or a wireless adapter that works in linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

What kind of cable is in the phone point, 2 pair phone cable or cat 5, if cat 5 you could make use of that as it's most likely going to the main phone point. Otherwise, just set a pair of homeplugs, less hassle than a wireless bridge and leaves wireless for mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭wandererz

My thoughts are to stop messing around "trying" to make something work with linux at this stage.

Firstly, find out which wireless adapters work with your flavour of linux.
    Secondly, buy it cheaply off adverts.ie or ebay.

Trust me, if you're new to Linux, get the basics setup first and then go from there.

Otherwise it's a whole load of frustration.

There will certainly be someone along shortly to say that that's the way to learn...figuring it out...troubleshooting etc.

But at this early stage you need things to work so that you can "seem" to progress. Otherwise you just get frustrated and give up soon enough. It's a matter of psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

wandererz wrote: »
    My thoughts are to stop messing around "trying" to make something work with linux at this stage.

Firstly, find out which wireless adapters work with your flavour of linux.
    Secondly, buy it cheaply off adverts.ie or ebay.

Trust me, if you're new to Linux, get the basics setup first and then go from there.

Otherwise it's a whole load of frustration.

There will certainly be someone along shortly to say that that's the way to learn...figuring it out...troubleshooting etc.

But at this early stage you need things to work so that you can "seem" to progress. Otherwise you just get frustrated and give up soon enough. It's a matter of psychology.
    I can deal with linux when I get to it.

My query was network based: I want to extend the range in the house by putting a router in my room which will give better coverage - the house has 5 levels so it needs to be extended.

What I'd like to do is have the router in my room so I can simply connect my desktop to it - linux as the OS or otherwise.

I'm considering just getting two routers of the same make/model and giving them the same SSID etc. then that should work, first need to ensure that what I'm working with won't work, which is most likely going to be the case, hoping to test tonight.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I can deal with linux when I get to it.

My query was network based: I want to extend the range in the house by putting a router in my room which will give better coverage - the house has 5 levels so it needs to be extended.

What I'd like to do is have the router in my room so I can simply connect my desktop to it - linux as the OS or otherwise.

I'm considering just getting two routers of the same make/model and giving them the same SSID etc. then that should work, first need to ensure that what I'm working with won't work, which is most likely going to be the case, hoping to test tonight.

You do not want two routers, a router routes between networks. You want one router in your house as your gateway to the internet and add wireless access points (which do not route, just forward to your main router) to have one big network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

smee again wrote: »
    You do not want two routers, a router routes between networks. You want one router in your house as your gateway to the internet and add wireless access points (which do not route, just forward to your main router) to have one big network.
    The second router should act as a WAP if given the same SSID, Security settings etc. as the initial router that's setup. I should have referred to it as an access point rather than a router....although it is a router technically :pac:

We've done something similar at work where we've taken a number of Cisco Wireless routers that we own and used them to create one large wireless network.

D'Agger wrote: »
    The second router should act as a WAP if given the same SSID, Security settings etc. as the initial router that's setup. I should have referred to it as an access point rather than a router....although it is a router technically :pac:

We've done something similar at work where we've taken a number of Cisco Wireless routers that we own and used them to create one large wireless network.

Yes, you need to stop them routing and make them act like an access point by disabling DHCP and just use the lan ports. It's less effort to just buy an access point and have proper layer 2 forwarding to your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭wandererz

As "smee again" above said. Perhaps look into getting multiple home plugs (check if they support more than two though).

If using the telephone jacks upstairs, check if they are CAT 5 cabled. If so, they lead to a central distribution box and can be cabled to your router. If not, check if someone can cable those points as CAT 5 for you for a few hundred quid.

The other ends of the CAT5 cable, on the upper floors of your house, should connect to the ethernet port of your wireless access points.

There are other points to consider of course such as channel overlap, support of the same SSID across multiple AP's without central management etc.

I have an AP downstairs connected to the firewall/router/modem/wireless controller. I have a second AP upstairs connected to just the power.
    The first Radio on each AP is dedicated to creating a wireless bridge between each other (upstairs and downstairs).

The second radio on each AP is dedicated to providing connectivity to my mobile devices.
    Same SSID anywhere in the house and seemless roaming.

Previously i had a CAT5 cable running up the stairs for the connection.

caveat: this may require dedicated equipment.

Advertisement