Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC build --- Max of $5k

Options
  • 13-10-2013 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Okay so I've recently came into some money from bonuses at work and other legit sources and sold my current PC to a friend and got a profit of 25%. My new build will be from scratch and I want to be able to play 1440p on a triple monitor setup :D

1. What is your budget? [€2000 or up to €5000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Internet] - mainly ArmA 3, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, DayZ

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes - Windows 7 64 bit please]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Nope]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [as big as possible, triple monitor if possible at 1440p]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard - Yes /Mouse - Yes /Card Reader - No/Speakers- Yes (surround sound if possible)]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser --- Any]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the next month or so - October 20-December 1]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Wicklow County - Won't need help]

p.s: I need an SSD as large as possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Product Name Qty Price Line Total
    OcUK Pro Gamer X65i Intel Z87 Full-Tower - Gaming PC Configurator OcUK Pro Gamer X65i Intel Z87 Full-Tower - Gaming PC Configurator £3577.78
    (£2981.48) £3,577.78
    (£2,981.48)
    Options applied to the above product:
    - Stage 4 Intel: Overclock of CPU - 4.5GHz Overclock - Haswell K Edition Processors Only
    - NZXT Phantom Enthusiast USB3.0 Full Tower Case - Black
    - Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
    - Corsair Hydro H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    - Asus Z87 SABERTOOTH Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
    - TeamGroup Vulcan RED 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17100C11 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (TLD316G2133HC11ADC01)
    - Gainward GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    - Gainward GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    - Samsung 128GB SSD 840 PRO SATA 6Gb/s Basic - (MZ-7PD128BW)
    - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) HDD
    - OcUK 20x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
    - Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus 7.1 PCI-E Soundcard
    - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850W V2 High Performance '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020043-UK)
    - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-02050)
    - System Build Fan - Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fan PLPS - 120mm PWM [EXNO-001]
    - Asus VG278HE 27" TRUE 144Hz 3D Widescreen LED Monitor - Black

All this works out as roughly €4200 at Overclockers.co.uk.

Components selection here

On a personal note, you lucky lucky bástard :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MyNameIsBoxxy

Seems good but why have 2 CPUs?
    "Stage 4 Intel: Overclock of CPU - 4.5GHz Overclock - Haswell K Edition Processors Only"
    "Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail"

and is it possible I could buy from amazon or hardwareversand and save some money and get better equipment by building it myself? also there's only 1 27'' monitor there mate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

It's not two CPUs, they're charging you for having it delivered already OCd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Might as well throw a bigger SSD into that build given there's budget left over?

Oh right - And yeah I thought the same for the SSD. Also can we move this build order to hardwareversand? I don't like prebuilt computers as they are usually overpriced...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dont buy anything very high end on the GPU line till the new ATI high end chips are out, the R9-290x will likely best the titan and be cheaper (hell a factory overclocked 780 gtx beats the titan at the cost of less ram. The new ATI API mantel on these chips ( on BF4 is interesting. Investing in titans at the moment doesnt seem wise to me.

Oh right - And yeah I thought the same for the SSD. Also can we move this build order to hardwareversand? I don't like prebuilt computers as they are usually overpriced...

You can order just the components from here too, and I've found the price to be a tad cheaper overall.

Alright so I'll wait for that new GPU to come in? I don't mind waiting

Alright so I'll wait for that new GPU to come in? I don't mind waiting

Fitz makes a good point actually, some new ones are coming out pretty soon I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 blades.

Dont buy anything very high end on the GPU line till the new ATI high end chips are out, the R9-290x will likely best the titan and be cheaper (hell a factory overclocked 780 gtx beats the titan at the cost of less ram. The new ATI API mantel on these chips ( on BF4 is interesting. Investing in titans at the moment doesnt seem wise to me.

The r9 series cards are not competing directly with the titan, they are a high end gpu competing on the lines of the 770, The Gtx Titan is simply an "enthusiast" Card and without doubt the best single-GPU performance you can get at the mo (until titan2).

You cant compare stock cards to overclocked one, its like comparing a Ferrari to a Nissan sunny modified, two different machines my friend. The gtx titan will only show it through worth when gaming an extreme resolutions across multi monitors, as for overclocking the sky is your limit, without a shadow of doubt one of the best out there for it, overclocking the gpu to 1200+mhz is completely no hassle, then also if you really want to show off get a copy of the unlocked bios and run it at 1400+mhz (Note: card will draw in-excess of 400-500 watts) plus there is no other gpu offering 6GBVRAM unless you wanna go quaddro, then combine 3 or 4 and you'll have the single best GpU setup one can buy, speaking from using the titans and 780s :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

blades. wrote: »
    The r9 series cards are not competing directly with the titan, they are a high end gpu competing on the lines of the 770, The Gtx Titan is simply an "enthusiast" Card and without doubt the best single-GPU performance you can get at the mo (until titan2).

Thats not right.Your saying that AMD are going to release a new top tier card thats only going to compete with a 770 :pac: :pac: :pac:
    Not a chance of that.Its aimed at the 780 minimum and will be priced similar to it.

Thats without overclocking and mantle,if its any use.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Thats not right.Your saying that AMD are going to release a new top tier card thats only going to compete with a 770 :pac: :pac: :pac:
    Not a chance of that.Its aimed at the 780 minimum and will be priced similar to it.

Thats without overclocking and mantle,if its any use.

the honest chance of developers using mantle and existing direct x is slim to none, I'm not a gambling man but i would bet a large amount on that,there is no doubt that amd have done a great job with the r290 but they will end up getting trumped as soon as TITAN ULTRA HITS THE SHELVES

anyway my only point was you cant compare stock cards to overclocked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I didnt say they where,you said the where competing with 770's.

Did you even read my post?
    The point i'm making is its pointless for amd to release a new card thats not better than a 770.So do you think they will?
    They already have the 770 beaten with a standard 7970.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The Rs Cards are not competing with the titans, they are geared towards the slight lower range, its gonna be 600-700e card.

780s outperform Titans in many games unless VRAM limited. They clock waaay higher due to non-reference cooling. Titans need to be put under water, with modded BIOS for voltage unlock to beat 780s, and this is obviously a huge investment.

Gumbi wrote: »
    780s outperform Titans in many games unless VRAM limited. They clock waaay higher due to non-reference cooling. Titans need to be put under water, with modded BIOS for voltage unlock to beat 780s, and this is obviously a huge investment.

They clock way higher is complete rubbish, considering I used them for 5 months , I could get 160mhz boost versus 174 on the gtx titan both on h20

Unlocked bios to beat 780s, ha are you crazy man, unlocked bios on a titan and you be hitting 1500mhz plus,

Frostbite has mantel it willbe used esp with all next gen running ati hardware (don't know if it suppose mantel) preliminary benchmarks are showing the 290x solidly beating a Titan in 2560x1440 resolution.it most certainly has been designed to go against the Titan, the 290 will be against the 780. If you already have a Titan or three you can sit on you compute performance but only a fool would by two until they see the benchmarks.

Frostbite has mantel it willbe used esp with all next gen running ati hardware (don't know if it suppose mantel) preliminary benchmarks are showing the 290x solidly beating a Titan in 2560x1440 resolution. If you already have a Titan or three you can sit on you compute performance but only a fool would by two until they see the benchmarks.

well firstly titans are used for extreme resolutions 1600p plus, also taking into account it only out performs on some games not all, also its has 6gb vram if your buying a titan your not going to use 1 screen, or are you?

also i think all results that are been posted are beating titan on the boost clock, not reference.

Jesus bladesofglory , wait for the benchmarks before rabidly defending nvidia. I am running tri sli nvidia but from the initial leaked reviews, the specs, mantel, audio acceleration and the compute power that the 290x will beat the Titan across the board, and at high resolutions,so I will hold off being a fanboy until I see which side is best. If you didn't already have three titans would your order them today with a new ultra enthuasast card about to be launched.

Jesus bladesofglory , wait for the benchmarks before rabidly defending nvidia. I am running tri sli nvidia but from the initial leaked reviews, the specs, mantel, audio acceleration and the compute power that the 290x will beat the Titan across the board, and at high resolutions,so I will hold off being a fanboy until I see which side is best. If you didn't already have three titans would your order them today with a new ultra enthuasast card about to be launched.

ha, I always been a fan of Nvidia, I even had an AMD build with 6990s, but sure your right we will see what happens, what sli are you running?

sure ll start planning the amb build now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

They clock way higher is complete rubbish, considering I used them for 5 months , I could get 160mhz boost versus 174 on the gtx titan both on h20

Unlocked bios to beat 780s, ha are you crazy man, unlocked bios on a titan and you be hitting 1500mhz plus,

780s clock as high as 1400mhz (MSI Lightnings with unlocked voltage), Titans due to poor reference cooling do not clock as highly, this, in many games, 780s match or slightly beat Titans.

1500mhz plus? Sure... On bloody water.... Not air.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    780s clock as high as 1400mhz (MSI Lightnings with unlocked voltage), Titans due to poor reference cooling do not clock as highly, this, in many games, 780s match or slightly beat Titans.

1500mhz plus? Sure... On bloody water.... Not air.

unlocked voltage now is different, then you can talk about unlocked voltage on titans, which is where no other 780 will ever come close.

I will agree though you do need water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

You sold your old pc to a "friend" at 25 % profit.

With friends like you who needs Dell or custom pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

No doubt another triumph of design by apple. look pretty clever and powerful if specced up. However if your a gamer or value your money the self build PC is a faster, more upgradable and less expensive option.

Still wont stop me drooling over one. Also Steam OS on one of those might be possible and awesome. I see its using ATI GPU's?

For me at the moment nothing is happening in the enthusiast market. Nothing on Nvidias side has changed from the 680 gtx days. The 7 series is just a rehash that's slightly faster. The titan is not as fast as you would like for the pricetag. Nvidia as yet dont have a single GPU card that beats a 2 year old 690gtx. At least ATI are being somewhat innovative with the new API and if the steam os supports mantel its a game changer.

If I were speccing a PC at the moment I would get a 780 overclocked card. A single one. It will play all the games the OP wants at good resolutions. If the new Ati cards are winners then you can change over and sell the 780. If they are not you can add in another 780 as there will be a flood of them on the market as early adopters switch over.

There is also the fact that there are no exciting or taxing PC games out there at the moment from a graphics POV. Crysis 3 have never been optomised properly. BF4 will run smooth on todays hardware, even the BETA is smooth. It wont be until the next gen engines are around that its worth upgrading unless you a benchmark whore.

No doubt another triumph of design by apple. look pretty clever and powerful if specced up. However if your a gamer or value your money the self build PC is a faster, more upgradable and less expensive option.

Still wont stop me drooling over one. Also Steam OS on one of those might be possible and awesome. I see its using ATI GPU's?

For me at the moment nothing is happening in the enthusiast market. Nothing on Nvidias side has changed from the 680 gtx days. The 7 series is just a rehash that's slightly faster. The titan is not as fast as you would like for the pricetag. Nvidia as yet dont have a single GPU card that beats a 2 year old 690gtx. At least ATI are being somewhat innovative with the new API and if the steam os supports mantel its a game changer.

If I were speccing a PC at the moment I would get a 780 overclocked card. A single one. It will play all the games the OP wants at good resolutions. If the new Ati cards are winners then you can change over and sell the 780. If they are not you can add in another 780 as there will be a flood of them on the market as early adopters switch over.

There is also the fact that there are no exciting or taxing PC games out there at the moment from a graphics POV. Crysis 3 have never been optomised properly. BF4 will run smooth on todays hardware, even the BETA is smooth. It wont be until the next gen engines are around that its worth upgrading unless you a benchmark whore.

Well said, I will add if you are going the SLI route today for 780s or titans I wouldn't be all to worried about what AMD bring outs within the next few weeks as your still going to have an exceptional pixel crunching machine, at the end of the day this is great world of computing new hardware is designed everyday while we only know amd are working on there new 290x they are prob already designing the replacement, My advice get your the best gpu setup you are afford and Ill guarantee it will last a few years, baring in mind im sure you will overclock it.

The 780s are great GpUs really fond of them, still use some myself. The GTx Titan is of course well over-priced that been said it is a great card for overclocking and when paying at extreme resolutions across multi displays it really is the man for the job, two way Titan is an exceptionally combinations of increased Fps and a recommended setup for any gamer out there looking to play at high resolutions. I would strongly recommend for anyone who is looking to invest in such a card water cooling is going to be a requirement.

Technology moves on. You've just got to buy what is best for you at the time. These things move on so quickly there is really little point worrying about whether other hardware will come out which is faster, because the answer is always 'yes, eventually

http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_r9_290x_will_be_much_faster_titan_battlefield_4

“with Battlefield 4 running with Mantle (AMD’s new graphics API), the card will be able to ‘ridicule’ the Titan in terms of performance.”

API Optimisation may be be way forward. Look how the Xbox and PS3 box above their weight.

I run a red and black there also so I really hope the AMD cards are much better, however I suspect that they will not be a reason to sell my 3 680's.

http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_r9_290x_will_be_much_faster_titan_battlefield_4

“with Battlefield 4 running with Mantle (AMD’s new graphics API), the card will be able to ‘ridicule’ the Titan in terms of performance.”

API Optimisation may be be way forward. Look how the Xbox and PS3 box above their weight.

I run a red and black there also so I really hope the AMD cards are much better, however I suspect that they will not be a reason to sell my 3 680's.

sure time will tell, its all standard hype built around cards, baring in mind selective benchmarks that have been run have had a higher MHz clock rate and of course to see the apparent "ridicule" you will need to be using mantle.

Alright, I'll wait until the new cards + BF4 is out and then I'll ask again on this forum post? :)

Advertisement