Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartment - No Ventilation

Options
  • 13-10-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭

Moved into a new apartment a few weeks back and I did not notice at first, but it has no form of ventilation besides the windows except in the bathroom. It was fine up till now as we could open the windows with the weather being good, but now with winter closing in we will not be able to do this without losing all our heat.

I went around each room with a candle and the flame stayed perfectly still, so no air is getting in when we have the windows closed, which is leading to headaches and lethargy. Is anyone in the same boat and if so do you have any tips, its a lovely new modern apartment so do not really wanna leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

You really ought to contact the landlord about this. Proper ventilation is vital and if not addressed it will lead to poor air quality including damp and mould.
    In the meantime, try to open windows a crack to allow some air exchange in the apartment.
    A dehumidifier will temporarily address the moisture issue but is really only a temporary solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MicktheMan wrote: »
    You really ought to contact the landlord about this. Proper ventilation is vital and if not addressed it will lead to poor air quality including damp and mould.
    In the meantime, try to open windows a crack to allow some air exchange in the apartment.
    A dehumidifier will temporarily address the moisture issue but is really only a temporary solution.

We are the second couple to live in the apartment, and it is two years old, actually no signs of damp or mould anywhere, it was the first thing I looked for. I would doubt the land lord would do anything, the other 4 apartment in the block are all the same way as well, the living room/kitchen have no vents except for the extractor fan, the bedroom and hallway have no vents either, but the two bathrooms do thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Most new windows come with the vents built in with some that can be opened/closed by yourself so check them 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Most new windows come with the vents built in with some that can be opened/closed by yourself so check them 1st.

Thats pretty much all we have in our place and we have no issues whatsoever.

Checked them as well, they do not have any vents, just the normal double glazing with wooden paneling, the place is remarkably warm and insulated, but that is probably due to no air coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some buildings are designed to be air tight is there a HRV it anything in place?

ted1 wrote: »
    Some buildings are designed to be air tight is there a HRV it anything in place?

Well we have no valves or control panel for it, so I do not think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Xenji wrote: »
    Well we have no valves or control panel for it, so I do not think so.

Did you get sorted:)

Did you get sorted:)

Unfortunately not, called up the landlord about it who is a sound fella and we looked over the plans, it does not have any HRA or vents in the windows, we have air vents in both bathrooms and that is it. His hands are pretty tied, it will cost him a lot to replace all the windows, it is strange though as the apartment has no damp or mold anywhere and retains heat very well, he was nice enough to give us a brand new dehumidifier and a air purifier. We did not really want to leave the place as it is lovely and we are getting it for a steal, so we are gonna stick with it and the air purifier seems to be helping as well, plus he took some money off the rent.

Unfortunately not, called up the landlord about it who is a sound fella and we looked over the plans, it does not have any HRA or vents in the windows, we have air vents in both bathrooms and that is it. His hands are pretty tied, it will cost him a lot to replace all the windows, it is strange though as the apartment has no damp or mold anywhere and retains heat very well, he was nice enough to give us a brand new dehumidifier and a air purifier. We did not really want to leave the place as it is lovely and we are getting it for a steal, so we are gonna stick with it and the air purifier seems to be helping as well, plus he took some money off the rent.

Fair play to the landlord.
    I am puzzled as to why no vents were installed:confused: Is this an old or new appartment?:confused: There is no evidence of mould or mildew, air must be getting in somehow?

• Advertisement

Fair play to the landlord.
    I am puzzled as to why no vents were installed:confused: Is this an old or new appartment?:confused: There is no evidence of mould or mildew, air must be getting in somehow?

It is going on 3 years old, the developer is known for very good work around the town, yeah that what we are finding strange, he is going to give the developer a call and see if he has put anything in that we have not came across before, but he does not think he has.

It is going on 3 years old, the developer is known for very good work around the town, yeah that what we are finding strange, he is going to give the developer a call and see if he has put anything in that we have not came across before, but he does not think he has.

There must be some sort of air exchange ventilation system in the appartment. I am sure it is a nice appartment and from what you say the developer has a good reputation. Keep us posted on developments, I got to admit I am very curious.:)

There must be some sort of air exchange ventilation system in the appartment. I am sure it is a nice appartment and from what you say the developer has a good reputation. Keep us posted on developments, I got to admit I am very curious.:)

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I DONT see in vents in my friends apartment,built in 2002.
    apart from vents in some of the window frames.
    which can be opened ,or closed,
    maybe they put in the wrong type of window frames.
    when it was being built.
    HE could just replace one window in each bedroom, and the kitchen/ front room.
    he can claim tax credit for it ,over 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ITS possible to take out 2 bricks and put vents in the wall,
    with ,open, close switch on it.
    cheaper than putting in a new window.

Advertisement