Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acronis Img Restore on RAID

Options
  • 13-10-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Before the "Change to 7 or 8 brigade start", I use a machine control software that will not run on 7 or 8 so for now XP Pro it is.

I have an XP Pro system with 2 x 500GB drives in RAID 0 (seen as 1x1TB Drive)

There are two partitions on the drive

C:\ for OS & programs (150GB partition)

and

S:\ for storage (remainder of the available storage)

I want to restore an Acronis image of the C:\ drive (150GB partition)

I don't want to do the normal restore whereby Acronis just writes over the existing install, I want to reformat the C:\ partition and restore the image to a squeaky clean c:\ partition. I want to leave the S:\ partition in tact without losing any of the data on there.

If I use something like Acronis Disk Director or even an OS disc to boot from, will I be able to format just the C:\ partition and then boot from the Acronis disc and do the restore of c:\? Will it retain the 150GB drive letter as C:\? or what's the best method to use that will give me the desired result?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

I use a machine control software that will not run on 7 or 8 so for now XP Pro it is.

I have an XP Pro system with 2 x 500GB drives in RAID 0

Zero redundancy RAID on a "mission critical" computer? :confused:
    Before the "Change to 7 or 8 brigade start"

Nope, XP is just fine with me. But I'm of the "Change to Drive Snapshot or Symantec Ghost" or the "Anything but Acronis" brigade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Torqay wrote: »
    Zero redundancy RAID on a "mission critical" computer? :confused:

Nope, XP is just fine. But I'm of the "Change to Drive Snapshot or Symantec Ghost" or the "Anything but Acronis" brigade. :D

Don't be :confused:

The speed of that raid is noticeable and that's why I'm using it :)

Even with a drive failure the img itself takes 15 minutes to restore and something similar to physically fit the new drives. I've had this system for the last 6-7 years and it's been perfect for my needs. Nothing wrong with your thoughts on the RAID setup Torgay, but even if I had a RAID 5\10 setup it wouldn't be of much use if the system was ever to fall prey to theft.

Again, I've used Acronis for many years on many systems and I can't recall one instance where it ever let me down, luck maybe? but it's what I'm familiar with and for now it's just fine.

Aside from all that Torgay, do you have any input towards the actual question I posed in my OP?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

Nope, XP is just fine with me. But I'm of the "Change to Drive Snapshot or Symantec Ghost" or the "Anything but Acronis" brigade. :D

What issues have you encountered with Acronis?

waveform wrote: »
    What issues have you encountered with Acronis?

Restored Windows Vista/7 systems partitions failed not boot, had to run startup repair.

Something I have never encountered with Ghost or Drive Snapshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Restored Windows Vista/7 systems partitions failed not boot, had to run startup repair.

I have done so many at this stage and never encountered that.

Could you have failed to take the small 100MB partition too? You need to take both.

• Advertisement

Nope.

TBH, after this happened the second time, I never touched it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

Are you sure you weren't using an older version of Acronis that is not compatible with Vista / 7?

On a newer version i saw, it said "Safe for Vista" in brackets.

waveform wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't using an older version of Acronis that is not compatible with Vista / 7?

On a newer version i saw, it said "Safe for Vista" in brackets.

That was years ago. IIRC, the only reason I ever used it was because my tools disk did not recognize the disk controller and that Acronis disk happened to be around somewhere. Of course, when disaster struck it caused me a lot of hassle and since then I make sure my rescue disks or sticks are up to date with the latest controller drivers.

I don't care for hot backups. And the two best cold imaging programs are Ghost (the Binary Research version that is, not that PowerQest cr@p which is giving Ghost such a bad name) and Drive Snapshot.

Advertisement