Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIndows 8 security

Options
  • 13-10-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick query that someone might be able to help me out with. I recently bought a Windows 8 Laptop - quite pleased with it actually, after initially being skeptical about Windows 8, you just get used to it.

Anyway, the laptop seemed to come pre-loaded with Norton security that lasted a certain amount of days. That time is now up, and I am getting warning messages that my laptop is not protected.

On my previous Windows 7 laptops, I used MSE which was great I felt; did the job, and not intrusive.

My query is, do I need to download an anti-virus programme to protect the laptop? I think, although I could easily be wrong here, that Windows 8 had a pre-installed anti-virus protection programme, and that there was no need to download anything. Is this true?

And if not, can somebody recommend any free anti-virus software?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is Microsoft Defender not included in Windows 8? It was in my version. Check it out and uninstall the Norton rubbish and all indications of it. Otherwise you will still get nagging messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Uninstall Norton, Security Essentials has been rolled into Windows Defender, in Windows 8 you don't need a separate anti virus at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Is Microsoft Defender not included in Windows 8?

It is, but disabled by default if a 3rd party security suite is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I read somewhere recently that Microsoft are suggesting that people stop using MSE - which wouldnt inspire any confidence in me in Windows Defender. I use AVG or Avast - both of them I find to be excellent. And get rid of Norton by the way - cant stand it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that Microsoft are suggesting that people stop using MSE - which wouldnt inspire any confidence in me in Windows Defender. I use AVG or Avast - both of them I find to be excellent. And get rid of Norton by the way - cant stand it!

This is a good point, here is a very good article on the recent slide in quality of Windows Defender / Security Essentials. I would argue that any of the free anti-virus' (AVG, Avira, Avast!) out there are either equally sufficient or actually worse than Defender though.

The gist of it is that currently, if you are somewhat careful about the kinds of sites you visit, and the sorts of things you install, Windows Defender is just fine. I have used it since it's inception and literally never had a problem, but it's certainly worth realising there is a reason professional anti-virus' are still sold - excellent protection for even the most inept / dangerous internet user.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

certainly worth realising there is a reason professional anti-virus' are still sold - excellent protection for even the most inept / dangerous internet user.

The only reason they work is because they slow the system down sooooooooo much that you can't get into trouble :P :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This is a good point, here is a very good article on the recent slide in quality of Windows Defender / Security Essentials. I would argue that any of the free anti-virus' (AVG, Avira, Avast!) out there are either equally sufficient or actually worse than Defender though.

The gist of it is that currently, if you are somewhat careful about the kinds of sites you visit, and the sorts of things you install, Windows Defender is just fine. I have used it since it's inception and literally never had a problem, but it's certainly worth realising there is a reason professional anti-virus' are still sold - excellent protection for even the most inept / dangerous internet user.

I did install Avast recently, it's not bad once in "Gaming Mode" (doesn't show any notifications) but being honest no anti virus is going to be 100% reliable. The onus is still on the end user to keep their operating systems/software up to date.
    Also I don't think the article advises against using MSE (Microsoft sell a commercial anti virus product based on MSE so I doubt they'd have this attitude towards that!). I think what their suggesting is it's possible to get AV software with more bells and whistles if needed, but for entry level protection MSE is good enough.

Nick

Advertisement