Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League on pay TV only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

It is strange there is no announcement. Tomorrow may provide some scope unless Keith can add more to his posts about what exactly is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I would have thought that TV3 would have bid for exclusive rights considering they have been freed from the soaps in their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

kn wrote: »
    I would have thought that TV3 would have bid for exclusive rights considering they have been freed from the soaps in their schedule.
    They probably did but highest bidder will will win the day - by the looks of it .. Setanta, UTVI, TV3, other bids might have been very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

irishfeen wrote: »
    They probably did but highest bidder will will win the day - by the looks of it .. Setanta, UTVI, TV3, other bids might have been very close.

What might have happened is that TV3 made a bid for the entire competition, UTV for Tuesday, and RTE for Wednesday nights. After the bids came in RTE may have made a very strong bid for Wednesday nights making it a better option for UEFA to sell those rights to RTE and then to go back to the other bidders including TV3 to bid for Tuesday only and that process is going on at present.

kn wrote: »
    What might have happened is that TV3 made a bid for the entire competition, UTV for Tuesday, and RTE for Wednesday nights. After the bids came in RTE may have made a very strong bid for Wednesday nights making it a better option for UEFA to sell those rights to RTE and then to go back to the other bidders including TV3 to bid for Tuesday only and that process is going on at present.
    Ya something like you describe seems to fit - I would think by Thurs or Fri we will know anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

While UEFA are not ones to turn down good money, I'm not sure any bid from TV3 for exclusive Irish rights would have been accepted unless they could deliver at least two matches per night, if not three (which is what the present rights holders are delivering in the group stages). It could have been done through utilising 3e too, but I don't think TV3 could have delivered on a higher price than all three present rights holdes combined.

At any rate its academic now as we know that isn't on the cards.

icdg wrote: »
    While UEFA are not ones to turn down good money, I'm not sure any bid from TV3 for exclusive Irish rights would have been accepted unless they could deliver at least two matches per night, if not three (which is what the present rights holders are delivering in the group stages). It could have been done through utilising 3e too, but I don't think TV3 could have delivered on a higher price than all three present rights holdes combined.

At any rate its academic now as we know that isn't on the cards.
    They could have course bidded with Setanta maybe but I think you are right - for some reason I think UEFA will want to keep at least 1 game FTA on Tue too.. I think it will be UTVI or TV3 with first pick Tue night, Setanta second picks both nights and BT (part of Setanta pack) non exclusive rights to everything.

Its very quiet in the papers about whats happening. If it was in the UK there would have been a leak from some of the parties.

Not necessarily - I think everyone was shocked when, on a Saturday morning of all days, BT announced they had captured the exclusive UK rights to all European club football. No one saw it coming or even that one broadcaster would win all rights to both tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

slight tangent, has anyone a link to a rundown of who has been awarded the rights in Europe so far for the next round of rights?

• Advertisement

Not necessarily - I think everyone was shocked when, on a Saturday morning of all days, BT announced they had captured the exclusive UK rights to all European club football. No one saw it coming or even that one broadcaster would win all rights to both tournaments.
    I thought icdg that it was announced in the papers a day or two before in England, maybe not but you are right that it was a surprise when it was announced officially anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

slight tangent, has anyone a link to a rundown of who has been awarded the rights in Europe so far for the next round of rights?

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/96/76/90/1967690_DOWNLOAD.pdf

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/96/76/92/1967692_DOWNLOAD.pdf
    I thought icdg that it was announced in the papers a day or two before in England, maybe not but you are right that it was a surprise when it was announced officially anyway.

It was on website of 'The Telegraph' around 23:00 on the Friday night all about the huge bid by BT for both competitions but it still did not have the official confirmation that it had won the rights until the next morning.

redabbey wrote: »
    http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/96/76/90/1967690_DOWNLOAD.pdf

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/96/76/92/1967692_DOWNLOAD.pdf

It was on website of 'The Telegraph' around 23:00 on the Friday night all about the huge bid by BT for both competitions but it still did not have the official confirmation that it had won the rights until the next morning.

yes thats what I thought as well. Someone at the Telegraph obviously was told early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

TV3 won tuesday nights and the uefa super cup for 3 years

after a second round of bidding?

Good news for TV3, FTA Chanpions League rights both nights ... Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TV3 badly needed it. It is good news for FTA viewers even if does mean Trevor Welch.

Interesting that the Super Cup has moved to TV3, I wonder if RTE didn't want to keep it? Or is it due to its move to a Tuesday night?

So only the pay-TV rights left to be announced then. Looking like as you were really.

good that it stays FTA at. I would love to know the background of the bids etc. but guess we will never know that.

• Advertisement

Interesting that the Super Cup has moved to TV3, I wonder if RTE didn't want to keep it? Or is it due to its move to a Tuesday night?

So only the pay-TV rights left to be announced then. Looking like as you were really.

I am, of course forgetting that the Europa League also went to tender at the same time and has also to be announced....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

in a european context and possibly globally to have the CL on fta on our terrestial channels is to be highly commended when you look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah good news for TV3 and Irish viewers. But strange how TV3 aren't wall to wall look at us, nothing on the TV3 website at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Christ, if there was a time for TV3 to up its game its now - boot Welch into the Irish sea and get someone who actually knows how to commentate on. Pity Saorview in such ****e in SD.

I wonder could that be the end of announcements regarding the Champions League. As you know there has never been an actual UEFA announcement of Sky having any Irish rights so quite possibly there will be no mention of BT Sports having Irish rights. So, am wondering if there will be any Setanta coverage? With BT having access to all matches via red button coverage as well as the ones on the EPG. It would be a surprise to me if they did not add another channel to their two branded ones available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

kooga wrote: »
    in a european context and possibly globally to have the CL on fta on our terrestial channels is to be highly commended when you look elsewhere.

Good for MU and Liverpool fans anyway.

Not for Arsenal and the other English teams as they will probably never be shown here.

Anyone know if TV3 HD is still happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool won't be in Europe next year its fair to say!

Not for Arsenal and the other English teams as they will probably never be shown here.

Anyone know if TV3 HD is still happening?

tv3HD will be up and running in time for the RWC2015 - but not for Saorview. It probably will never be on Saorview unless the current charges change.

Manchester City was shown in every gameweek on either RTE/TV3 or Setanta. Granted they were on the other half of the draw to Liverpool who I think were picked by RTE & TV3 every night they played - but they are second only to Manchester United in support here, who of course are not in this season's competition.

Arsenal were shown by Setanta every game week and I think Chelsea were too.

• Advertisement

Manchester City was shown in every gameweek on either RTE/TV3 or Setanta. Granted they were on the other half of the draw to Liverpool who I think were picked by RTE & TV3 every night they played - but they are second only to Manchester United in support here, who of course are not in this season's competition.

Arsenal were shown by Setanta every game week and I think Chelsea were too.

The reason Man City was paired with Liverpool so that they would not be on the same night was because if one team got either Real or Barcelona then the other could have not got the other Spanish Giant through the group stage draw.

Uefa are shaking up the system and for the next Champions League period beginning 2015/16 the winners of the competition plus the Champions of the seven strongest Leagues will all be in Pot 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will Setanta go for the 2nd choice Champions League and Europa League matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah good news for TV3 and Irish viewers.

Good also in a way for them in that their viewership will probably go up on Tuesday nights because the alternative live FTA option (ITV on satellite, or terrestrial if you're in range of an appropriate transmitter) won't be showing CL next season. Used to watch the Tuesday night games on ITV HD simply for the better quality picture compared to TV3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mikeym wrote: »

I'd say so looks like we got the same situation as before. Can't imagine anyone else going for those rights. Setanta renewed their deal with BT AFAIR?

Elmo wrote: »
    . Setanta renewed their deal with BT AFAIR?

No, they're not in a position to do so until BT themselves know if they are still in business post July 2016 (which is the end of the Setanta deal)

ftakeith wrote: »

Nothing yet from TV3's own press release page:

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_intro.php?page=Programming%20Press%20Releases

Waiting for the official UEFA announcement maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭iseegirls

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Nothing yet from TV3's own press release page:

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_intro.php?page=Programming%20Press%20Releases

Waiting for the official UEFA announcement maybe?

Seems odd alright. Thought they would be shouting it from their Ballymount rooftops. Even on The 5:30 on Wednesday, there was only a 10sec piece about it at the end of their sports bulletin. Strange.

No

Setanta told me yesterday BT Sport will show the other games of the champions league including TV3/RTE2 and will show all the europa league games also
    so BT Sport have non exclusive live Irish rights to compliment Irish fta live coverage

EL live games will have to wait from September 2015 to see if that is true

BT Sport's live champions league games include live ones on the red button like Sky Sports do

There's been no announcement to that effect from anyone. In any case we should find out when UEFA makes it's next media rights update, even if there is no formal standalone announcement. I'd be surprised if the Europa League has gone from two Irish broadcasters to none?

There's been no announcement to that effect from anyone. In any case we should find out when UEFA makes it's next media rights update, even if there is no formal standalone announcement. I'd be surprised if the Europa League has gone from two Irish broadcasters to none?

I will forward a e-mail from Setanta this evening that confirms it all

No Europa League on FTA would be surprising. Then again TV3 may have used all their money on upping their bid for Champions League rights if there was a second round.

• Advertisement

No

Setanta told me yesterday BT Sport will show the other games of the champions league including TV3/RTE2 and will show all the europa league games also
    so BT Sport have non exclusive live Irish rights to compliment Irish fta live coverage

EL live games will have to wait from September 2015 to see if that is true

BT Sport's live champions league games include live ones on the red button like Sky Sports do

With the exception of the EL, there is nothing about this new deal that surprises me in the slightest.

I got into an argument here immediately after BT were awarded the UK rights. My point at that time was that Ireland were covered by that deal. Others thought that those rights would have no effect on the Irish rights as Ireland was not mentioned in the media release on Uefa's website. Well yet again, Ireland is the exception, and acquiring the UK rights gets Ireland bundled in as well in the UEFA awarding of the UK rights.

Forwarded message
    Date: Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Subject: RE: live champions league TV games from 2015-16
    To: Keith

Thanks for your email.

From Sept ’15, BT Sport have the rights to show all CL and EL games in Ireland including the TV3 and RTE games you mention below. These will be available by red button and across their set of channels.

Rgds,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Forwarded message

Thanks for your email.

From Sept ’15, BT Sport have the rights to show all CL and EL games in Ireland including the TV3 and RTE games you mention below. These will be available by red button and across their set of channels.

Rgds,

At least they will be in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Might have to revisit my sports subscription at that date.
    Sky sports have the f1 and the nfl, now BT sport/setanta pack have more of the EPL games, and also the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

At least they will be in HD.

Will all of their red button streams be HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Will the BT red button be available on upc ?

Think I might have to get rid of sky sports, if sky don't reduce their fee, losing the champions lesgue is a big blow to them

Forwarded message

Thanks for your email.

Rgds,

Blocking of EL games in the RoI by BT will end then I'm guessing?

UEFA tendering process documents updated. No announcement of any Irish rights holders for the EL. Does that mean exclusivity for BT Sport? Or has a decision still got to be made, some of the other European countries whose time-scales wwre similar to the one for Ireland have also not got contract details mentioned either. No mention of BT Sport having any CL rights for Ireland, same as in the present tender where Sky is never mentioned for Ireland.

Champions League

Europa League

Interestingly under the UK -

ITV RIGHTS LIMITED
    NEWS CORP UK & IRELAND LIMITED

What have ITV/News Corp got? - highlights?

Interestingly under the UK -

ITV RIGHTS LIMITED
    NEWS CORP UK & IRELAND LIMITED

What have ITV/News Corp got? - highlights?

Itv have highlights only, News Corp media clips

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/news/newsid=2025645.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement