Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League on pay TV only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

redabbey wrote: »
    Itv have highlights only, News Corp media clips

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/news/newsid=2025645.html
    Ah ok thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Will the BT red button be available on upc ?

Think I might have to get rid of sky sports, if sky don't reduce their fee, losing the champions lesgue is a big blow to them

You don't really need to pay for football anymore. There are a number of sites that you can watch the games for free on HD and just hook up a HDMI cable into your TV and away you go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

there will be a ban for the next person that attempts to start discussing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wonder how much extra BT will charge for their Champions League coverage. It will have to be on TV for most I would think and not streams online.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Further updates on the tendering documents on Uefa's website.

Setanta is mentioned as well as RTE & TV3 as having Champions League rights for Ireland and is mentioned solely for The Europa League.

Wonder are these just highlights packages? I can't find any press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

redabbey wrote: »
    Further updates on the tendering documents on Uefa's website.

Setanta is mentioned as well as RTE & TV3 as having Champions League rights for Ireland and is mentioned solely for The Europa League.

Wonder are these just highlights packages? I can't find any press release.

I presume it's their ongoing "second game" deal for both nights.

I presume it's their ongoing "second game" deal for both nights.

All ongoing deals end in May, these are new deals. But like the OP I can't find any indication as to what.

The lack of anyone else listed would seem to indicate that Setanta have won, if not exclusive rights, certainly first choice rights to the Europa League. This would give them the final for the first time. Given UEFA would probably have preferred FTA coverage for the final it would seem to indicate that TV3 didn't bid.

Another interesting thing is that Setanta being named rather than BT means they have won the rights in their own right, and would keep them if the BT deal were not to continue after the 2015-16 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Setanta confirms exclusively live rights for the Champions League and Europa League for three years from the 2015-16 season in Republic of Ireland.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/setanta-secures-champions-league-and-europa-league/

Just about to post it -

https://twitter.com/SetantaSports/status/564789758447341570

Its basically BT/Setanta replacing Sky with RTÉ and TV3 retaining one game Tue and Wen nights - TV3 also lose Europa League!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

irishfeen wrote: »

Will be interesting to see what happens vis a vis rights next time round when their 3 year agreement is up. Will BT be happy at the amount of promotion that Setanta are giving themselves. Notice the way they are now putting the BT sport logos smaller than the big Setanta logo.

Will be interesting to see what happens vis a vis rights next time round when their 3 year agreement is up. Will BT be happy at the amount of promotion that Setanta are giving themselves. Notice the way they are now putting the BT sport logos smaller than the big Setanta logo.
    I don't think BT are anyway interested in Ireland - we are too small and they have ended any interest in the broadband/phone market... being honest BT Sports main purpose is to lure customers into phone/broadband/TV packages. Setanta are an easy way to distribute their content in Ireland.

The headlines inaccurate of course, as they don't have exclusive rights to the Champions League but rather second and subsequent pick rights. They do have exclusive Europa League though, which is a blow to TV3.

I wonder whether they will continue to do their own shows though or whether they'll now be content to let BT Sport away now. remember they only get the advertising revenue from Setanta Ireland and Setanta 1, not the BT Sport channels.

icdg wrote: »
    The headlines inaccurate of course, as they don't have exclusive rights to the Champions League but rather second and subsequent pick rights. They do have exclusive Europa League though, which is a blow to TV3.

I wonder whether they will continue to do their own shows though or whether they'll now be content to let BT Sport away now. remember they only get the advertising revenue from Setanta Ireland and Setanta 1, not the BT Sport channels.
    Well I suppose "exclusive rights to all CL matches" is how they get away with that.

They're also claiming exclusivity over the Super Cup, but I understood TV3 had got rights to that as part of their package.

How will Setanta show the extra games? On a red button service or online streams. The latter would be a backwards step.

• Advertisement

Both, possibly. Cable viewers would be out in the cold on both counts, but no change from the Sky era there.

The press release has been corrected to "live" and omitting mention of the Super Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You think that RTÉ and TV3 would look to block there games from BT sports. In an era where they are continuing to lose so many sports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

red button is already available on bt sport's channels in ireland on satellite, so no panic

I have enjoyed BT Sport's live european football games and setanta ireland's coverage of live champions league games is better than rte/tv3 this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

The issue with Setanta is that it's impossible to get them without going through UPC, Eircom or Magnet, which is a pain really, I much prefer to get Setanta by itself without any 3rd party company even if it's only online/Phone and tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

alwald wrote: »
    The issue with Setanta is that it's impossible to get them without going through UPC, Eircom or Magnet, which is a pain really, I much prefer to get Setanta by itself without any 3rd party company even if it's only online/Phone and tablet.

You can get setanta on satellite by using a sky box and can then subscribe directly to them for 21.99 a month. Setanta will send you a card directly. No need to subscribe to sky.

steveon wrote: »
    You can get setanta on satellite by using a sky box and can then subscribe directly to them for 21.99 a month. Setanta will send you a card directly. No need to subscribe to sky.

Can any other box be used?

Nope.
    Elmo wrote: »
    You think that RTÉ and TV3 would look to block there games from BT sports. In an era where they are continuing to lose so many sports.

Apparently the deal allows Setanta to broadcast the games that RTE and TV3 are showing also.

The phraseology "the Setanta Sports pack" instead of just "Setanta Sports" is usually a sign that coverage is on BT/ESPN rather than Setanta Ireland/1 but we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

If Setanta have all the rights to the CL and EL, will they actually show ALL matches? Say, if in the EL, if two English teams and Celtic were playing, will we have the choice of all three, or stuck with one or two of what Setanta chooses?

lertsnim wrote: »
    How will Setanta show the extra games? On a red button service or online streams. The latter would be a backwards step.
    Almost certainly they will be shown via a red button service like sky and if PL rights go right for BT I wouldn't be surprised to see a BT Sport 3 launch.

With the Europa League your likely looking at four live "front channel" games on BT Sport 1 & ESPN (BT Sport 2 needs to be kept clear because there are overlaps with the European Challenge Cup which airs on some Europa League gameweeks). It's possible BT Sport Extra (the red button) could be pulled in, in the event every UK team cannot get front channel coverage. If it were Celtic, and in the event BT opted not to show, Setanta would no doubt run their own show.

If Setanta have all the rights to the CL and EL, will they actually show ALL matches? Say, if in the EL, if two English teams and Celtic were playing, will we have the choice of all three, or stuck with one or two of what Setanta chooses?
    All matches will be available on the "Setanta Pack" - Setanta Ireland, Setanta Sports 1, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, ESPN and almost certainly a red button service.

ftakeith wrote: »
    red button is already available on bt sport's channels in ireland on satellite, so no panic

One SD channel. They'd want to multiply that by 8 and add in a hd stream or 2

lertsnim wrote: »
    One SD channel. They'd want to multiply that by 8 and add in a hd stream or 2
    They will I guarentee it, they have a massive budget... As much if not more then sky.

Only catching up on the Setanta Press release right now. The content of that press release and the headline seem to be at odds with each other. The Setanta Sports Pack is ambiguous wording. It does suggest though that the initial three year deal for Setanta to be selling agents for BT Sport in the ROI is set to continue.

• Advertisement

Depends, of course, on what happens in the next 24 hours with the biggest sports rights contract of them all. But usually, "on the Setanta Sports Pack" is Setanta-speak for "on BT Sport".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

steveon wrote: »

unfortunately not...it has to be a sky box. However you will also get BT sports as well included in the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Wonder what RTE paid for the rights now with no exclusive rights in Ireland and the final also on setanta.

Badabing wrote: »
    Wonder what RTE paid for the rights now with no exclusive rights in Ireland and the final also on setanta.

RTE knew what rights they were paying for. No difference to the previous contract for them. The final and other matches were always available elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

redabbey wrote:
    RTE knew what rights they were paying for. No difference to the previous contract for them. The final and other matches were always available elsewhere.

Have they not being devalued a bit now tho, in Ireland they had final exclusive last contract. Just a point about being a public broadcaster spending considerable money on non exclusive rights on a Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

just to confirm, does that mean next year we will have access to CL and europa league on the BT Sport channels as well, there will be no geo blocking as per the europa league on BT sport at the moment.

secondly can i take it there will be no CL on rte 2 on wednesday night

kooga wrote: »
    just to confirm, does that mean next year we will have access to CL and europa league on the BT Sport channels as well, there will be no geo blocking as per the europa league on BT sport at the moment.

secondly can i take it there will be no CL on rte 2 on wednesday night

Looks that way. I think RTÉ 2 have Wednesday Night with TV3 on Tuesday night.

Quick summary:

RTE2 and TV3 keep their Champions League packages (but Super Cup moves from RTE2 to TV3). TV3 loses Europa League.

Setanta can show all Champions League games - including non exclusively, first picks - and gets exclusive rights to Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

Quick summary:

RTE2 and TV3 keep their Champions League packages (but Super Cup moves from RTE2 to TV3). TV3 loses Europa League.

Setanta can show all Champions League games - including non exclusively, first picks - and gets exclusive rights to Europa League.

and BT sport sits above them all with everything (non geo blocked for ROI?)

• Advertisement

How can I get BT sport by itself in Ireland?

How can I get BT sport by itself in Ireland?

I assume you can get a card from The uk nothing suggesting it's illegal to just get BT on its own similar to that but that organised it's football through another EU country ???

Except that BT will not sell a subscription to a Republic of Ireland address. More to the point I'm not sure why you want to go down that route, at £13.50pm (€18.20 before you pay commission) t's nearly as expensive as Setanta and a lot of trouble to go to for a very small saving.

Except that BT will not sell a subscription to a Republic of Ireland address. More to the point I'm not sure why you want to go down that route, at £13.50pm (€18.20 before you pay commission) t's nearly as expensive as Setanta and a lot of trouble to go to for a very small saving.

I wan't even aware about the price so in the first place I asked the question just to know if it was possible to get BT in Ireland as it seems that they have more selection than Setanta, the fact that they have an app and online option is a plus too.

I wan't even aware about the price so in the first place I asked the question just to know if it was possible to get BT in Ireland as it seems that they have more selection than Setanta, the fact that they have an app and online option is a plus too.

BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN are part of the Setanta package, so you're literally getting everything you could get direct from BT via Setanta except the aforesaid app and online option (which Setanta have promised to provide but are yet to unviel). The Europa League games on BT currently blocked in Ireland won't be from September on.

BT Sport 1&2 and ESPN are part of the Setanta package, so you're literally getting everything via Setanta except the aforesaid app and online option (which Setanta have promised to provide but are yet to unviel). The Europa League games on BT currently blocked in Ireland won't be from September on.

Fair enough, I wasn't fully aware that Setanta offer BT as part of the deal, the big issue that I am having (I think I mentioned it earlier) is that Setanta cannot be gotten by itself, a SKY box is a must....I would love if they offer the online/mobile option for those who don't wish to buy a sky box and install a satellite dish and so on...

• Advertisement

You don't need an Sky subscription, as long as you have a satellite dish. Second hand Sky boxes can be picked up on eBay for a song or you may know a former subscriber shifting to Freesat who is willing to give away their STB or part with it for a cheap payment. Any Sky STB will do, Setanta will provide the viewing card if you don't have a subscription to Sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

setanta ireland will not be showing champions league live games as BT Sport's channels will show the live games as part of the setanta pack

what is the point of setanta showing the same games

setanta ireland will not be showing champions league live games as BT Sport's channels as part of the setanta pack

? Will they block BT Sport's coverage when the same match airs on a Setanta Channel, but keep the remainder?

setanta ireland will not be showing champions league live games as BT Sport's channels will show the live games as part of the setanta pack

Promotion would be a good reason for them to show games on Setanta Ireland plus Setanta will want the English clubs shown on their channels for advertising reasons. Why would they leave those matches to RTÉ/TV3 and BT Sport? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

You dont know that for sure. I would reasonably predict that either Setanta Ireland or Setanta 1(less likely as its a simulcast of Premier most nights), will be showing matches as there will be 8 matches most rounds. On a Wednesday night you could have for example RTE, Setanta Ireland, Setanta 1, BT sport 1 & 2 and red button. The only difference next year is that Sky wil not be showing any.

• Advertisement
Advertisement