Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliable mechanic in Waterford area for a classic car?

Options
  • 13-10-2013 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm trying to find a reliable mechanic in Waterford/area. Now, as simple as that sounds, I've just not had any luck so far!
    I've an old 77 Vauxhall Viva that needs a few bits and pieces done to it (as I want to sell it, but would like it to be a bit more roady-ready before I do so!)

But whenever I take it to garages in town, they get scared off by it being an old car! It was suggested to me to take it to (I won't mention names) a fella in Kilmeaden, but the car left there in worse shape than when it went in. :/

I basically need a window mechanism to be repaired (driver's window mechanism is broken - won't stay up); the car's a bit rough while driving (a reconditioned engine was recently put in, but the car was sat for months without being driven); and the electrics need a bit of attention (indicators aren't working - I've a relay unit for it)

Any names/ideas much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

There used to be a Vauxhall dealer in Waterford many years ago, Geo Wright, there may be some of his mechanics still about. You could also give P.J.Powers garage in Ballyhale a call, he may be able to help you.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

The work you want done is fairly basic car maintenance but time consuming which any mechanic could do but the reason mechs don't take on jobs like yours is that they eat time and people don't want to pay a big bill for the time involved . Niggly electrical faults , broken mechanisms and a rough running engine could easily eat up a day and more , would you be happy to pay €300 or more plus parts to get it going good just to sell it. Best bet, sell it as is and let the buyer DIY it .

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Last mechanics that I went to (in Bray) advertised that they do classics. I should have noticed that they were wearing cowboy hats when they were making sh*t of my car. Generally the only way to do it right is to do it yourself. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 reverbfuzz

bbsrs wrote: »
    The work you want done is fairly basic car maintenance but time consuming which any mechanic could do but the reason mechs don't take on jobs like yours is that they eat time and people don't want to pay a big bill for the time involved . Niggly electrical faults , broken mechanisms and a rough running engine could easily eat up a day and more , would you be happy to pay €300 or more plus parts to get it going good just to sell it. Best bet, sell it as is and let the buyer DIY it .

Yes, that's what I keep considering here.... Whoever purchases the car will want to do their own thing anyway, so I suppose putting more money into it would be pointless.

reverbfuzz wrote: »
    Yes, that's what I keep considering here.... Whoever purchases the car will want to do their own thing anyway, so I suppose putting more money into it would be pointless.

Sell it on , if s

• Advertisement

reverbfuzz wrote: »

Sell it on , if someone buys it they'll more than likely be the sort that can fix it up themselves for a lot less than you'll pay to have it done. If somone wants a mint example they probably won't buy yours anyway so to me it makes no sence to plough money into it. Ask a fair price with some added on for haggling everyone likes to knock a couple of hundred off the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 eamonn3974

John MacKey, Kilmeaden...highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Sell it as it is. It will not be expected to be perfect. You will not get your moneys worth back as most buyers will be able to do the work themselves.
    To be honest you do not have much business with an old car like that if you are not capable of doing that work yourself so it is best to getvrid of it.

Advertisement