Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buff Visior (better alternative to a baseball cap)

Options
  • 13-10-2013 6:34pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post about this as others may find it handy,

Up until now I've been using a baseball cap while running which has served its pretty job well as it keeps water off my glasses when it rains and it stop sweat getting into my eyes. It does however have two downsides:
    - Material is pretty heavy
    - The seams on it can leave marks on my forehead
    - gives no neck protection from sun in the summer

I happened to pick up a buff a few months back in Germany and I find it great for keeping sweat out of the eye's, it doesn't leave any marks after you take it off, can cover the neck, its much lighter material but its not so great for keeping sun out of the eyes and if it rains I end up with water on my glasses which annoys me.

So while looking around Amazon today I came across the best of both worlds, a Buff Visor. It can be used and look like a normal baseball cap but it also has all the benefits of a normal Buff in cold and hot weather.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BDMMBGA

Anyway, thought some people might find this useful

Comments

does it not make you look like an arab or PLO supporter? or a bank robber? depending on how you wear it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z02rv8Dp-E

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

glasso wrote: »
    does it not make you look like an arab or PLO supporter? or a bank robber? depending on how you wear it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z02rv8Dp-E

Only if you think that way,

If i cared what people thought when I went outside I'd never run in shorts, wear vibrams or wear the stuff i do when I cycle on my road bike :pac:

The trick is not to care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are there any suitable baseball caps out there for running. Something to keep the sun off your head and stop sweat dripping into your eyes. Also more importantly something that could be machine washed after every run?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Are there any suitable baseball caps out there for running. Something to keep the sun off your head and stop sweat dripping into your eyes. Also more importantly something that could be machine washed after every run?
    Thanks

These are a couple that would suit your needs.

I've the hot one and the winter ones, they do exactly as they say on the tin.

As for washing after every run, that's not needed once you learn to love the smell of sweat.

jeffontour wrote: »

As for washing after every run, that's not needed once you learn to love the smell of sweat.

I'm specifically looking for something that could be machine washed. Most baseball caps have a card in the peak. I have seen some in sports shops with what I presume is a plastic piece in the cap peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

I'm specifically looking for something that could be machine washed. Most baseball caps have a card in the peak. I have seen some in sports shops with what I presume is a plastic piece in the cap peak.

AFAIK most have a plastic peak these days. Any running cap should do, I use the Adidas Climaproof cap for when it's raining or to keep the sun out of my eyes. It's been through the washing machine a few times but usually i'll just rinse it out in the sink and hang it up to dry after a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I've washed the Inov8 ones in the machine with no problems.

I ended up buying the Nike Drifit in a sports shop. It was about €18. It has a plastic piece in the cap peak unlike a normal baseball cap. Expensive but it was better than the addidas climacool one as that one has a net effect on top of the cap and it is likely that the sun would get through, leaving you with a nice net sunburn effect!
    I don't like buying caps online as you can never be sure if they will fit well. Same with t-shirts etc.

Advertisement