Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan- new to the area

Options
  • 13-10-2013 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I have recently moved to Dungarvan and want to make friends in the area. is there any courses/ clubs etc. there which I could join, where would I have to go is there courses in secondary schools. I don't really mind what course it is, I am more interested in meeting people around the late 20 early 30 age group.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

What kind of activities are you in to?

There's a lot to do, once your in to doing certain things.

There's the winter league running club, Ross-B's gym has a lot of stuff going on every day, and he's usually packed with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Roller Derby! Guys and girls needed for various roles on and off skates, but the company is second to no one!

http://www.waterfordviqueens.com
    https://www.facebook.com/waterfordcityviqueens

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Dungarvan has a very active MACRA group & it's not just for farmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

You could check out Deise Photographic Society on their Facebook page.
    Regular meetings & outings plus the opportunity to learn photography skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

I'm in the same boat as you! There's poker on Friday nights in Dillons.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

SHANAbert wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you! There's poker on Friday nights in Dillons.

Is it for beginners and where is Dillons

Is it for beginners and where is Dillons

Dillons is on Wolfe Tone road.

I started playing in February, the most competitive game I had played before that was between friends in college. There's people of all levels. It's something to do and it gets me out of the apartment for the evening. Starts at 9pm and there's usually 25 or more turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭The Istanbul

Hey Shan and Red Passion

There is a great poker tournament in the Park Hotel every Monday night at 8.30pm. It is fully-dealer dealt and costs €50 to play. There is usually around 30 players (male and female) there and a prizepool in excess of €1000 every week. Friendly and good craic -the lessons are cheap;)

Hi Istanbul,

Heard of this game and a few of the guys on Friday play that game also. 50 euro in is a bit much for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

50 euro is ridiculous in this day and age. The Shap is great value at 10 . The game in the Park Hotel is no place to refine your game ...try the shap first , huge variation of playing styles uber tight to super loose.

Revisionist, it's all relative. 50 in but the pot is 5 times that of the 10 euro game. Can't say anything on the style as I haven't played it.

Where is the shap game?

The point I was making is that it is hard to justify 50 euro in this day and age. Smacks of greed to me...................

The point I was making is that it is hard to justify 50 euro in this day and age. Smacks of greed to me...................

Hey Revisionist,

Where does greed come into this in your view? The game is advertised for what it is with a completely transparent prizepool and reg fee: the numbers playing seem to support my view that it is excellent value. The Shap (aka The Shandon Arms) is a different type of game and is aimed at (imo) guys who want to spend a night with a few pints and a self-dealt game.

Greed is probably to strong a word but the game is run for profit unlike the Shap game when all the money goes back into the pot. To suggest that 50 euro is not a lot of money when families are struggling to make ends meet is not totally out of kilter is ,frankly ludicrous. Its 50 euro so that there is more profit for the house, simples. I note that in Waterford the games there are averaging at 25 euro with a dealer so it can be done. In fact it has given me an idea actually for a game on Monday nights.

Greed is probably to strong a word but the game is run for profit unlike the Shap game when all the money goes back into the pot. To suggest that 50 euro is not a lot of money when families are struggling to make ends meet is not totally out of kilter is ,frankly ludicrous. Its 50 euro so that there is more profit for the house, simples. I note that in Waterford the games there are averaging at 25 euro with a dealer so it can be done. In fact it has given me an idea actually for a game on Monday nights.

Not to derail the op's thread (which simply asked what was on locally) but your suppositions are incorrect in that:-
    1. It is clearly advertised as a €40 plus €10 reg game. All the €40's go into the prizepool: the €10's are to pay the expenses of running the game (eg dealer costs) and, yes, profit if lucky occasionally;
    2.What dealer-dealt game(s) in Waterford do you refer to? Please remember that dealers have to be paid too. Presumably these games run raked cash tables in tandem which do not form part of this game.
    3. What is 'frankly ludicruous'?

Apart from that good luck with your idea.

Advertisement