Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Options post J1

Options
  • 13-10-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of moving to the States for a year, probably in 2014.

I graduated from my Masters in October 2012 (so im not sure if I am eligible for a graduate visa now?)

I did a J1 back in 2009 through USIT, but I honestly don't know where my details are regarding this and I also lost my Social Security Card which I obtained during that J1 since then.

Just want to know what visa options are open to me and whether I need to obtain information regarding my J1 Visa for a new Visa application.

Regards

LD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NiamhC007

Hi!

You are eligible for a 1 year visa for a year up to after you graduate. It seems you may have just missed that now as you said you graduated in October 2012.
    There is the career training visa that you are eligible for if you have at least 12 months of full time work experience in your qualified field outside of the USA.

As for the other stuff, I'm not too sure but I know you can get your social security card again in the US when you get there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

When was your graduation? It's the date on your script they go by, I know some Universities tend to keep the graduations to the end of semesters so maybe you actually graduated in December? Anyway you have 12 months after you graduated to get that J1 and be in the US, so if you graduated in October for definite then you're out of luck but if it was December then you might have a shot if you get on it now (of course you'll have to be in the US before 2014 though).

I thought you needed 5 years of full time work for that career training visa? Your other option would be a H1, which would have to be sponsored by a company in the US.

You may or may not need your previous J1 visa details, it's best to have them but typically not a necessity.

Advertisement