Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Kevinsfort, Sligo like?

Options
  • 13-10-2013 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I'm wondering what Kevinsfort, Sligo is like to live in?

I'm just looking for the pros and con's to the area, it appears to be very nice while only a 15 minute walk into town.

I see prices have come down a far bit and even though advertised aren't going for near the asking price but are still quite expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I'm just looking for the pros and con's to the area, it appears to be very nice while only a 15 minute walk into town.

I see prices have come down a far bit and even though advertised aren't going for near the asking price but are still quite expensive.

If I were moving to town that's where I would prefer to go, however if you are buying have a proper inspection done, as good as it looks on the outside a mate of mine lives there and found 0 insulation on one side of their house, had to get it pumped. But its a class house in fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I grew up near there and have a good few friends who's parents live there. The estate is nice and the houses are great. Definitely an estate I'd consider if I was buying a house. Prices back in the mid 2000s were crazy but they should be more reasonable now. If the price was right I'd say go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I grew up near there and have a good few friends who's parents live there. The estate is nice and the houses are great. Definitely an estate I'd consider if I was buying a house. Prices back in the mid 2000s were crazy but they should be more reasonable now. If the price was right I'd say go for it.

From the outside looking in is it one of the better estates in Sligo? Also out of a matter of interest it is mainly family's living there or are a few students knocking about too? I'm totally blind to the area tbh.

I take it prices in the estate were nuts in the boom years with houses around the €500,000 mark, it's probably about half that these days and I'm sure estate agents would even be happy with that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If I remember right there was one going for sale about 2003 with an asking price of about €350,000. No idea of what the prices would have been at the height of the boom in 2007 but not hard to imagine them pushing €500,000 all right.

I wouldn't know the estate now as well as I used to but I doubt there are any students there. It a long way from the IT, most students would prefer to live around the IT or in the centre of town. Even if they did decide to live out that direction, they probably stick to estates like Rathedmond or the park which would be cheaper than Kevinsfort. I reckon it would mostly be families and young professionals (late twenties plus) living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I live in kevinsfort. It's a really nice place to live. Very close to town but quiet with no through traffic or social problems etc....

The wooded green is nice and very easy to get to strandhill and industrial estate too. Gardens are small and the houses are close together so privacy isn't great at times.

Kevinsfort heath is a different estate, houses are a different build and it has been disected by the new road which will get busier if it ever links up to the dual carriageway. houses are cheaper and some appear a bit run down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

promethius wrote: »
    Kevinsfort heath is a different estate, houses are a different build and it has been disected by the new road which will get busier if it ever links up to the dual carriageway. houses are cheaper and some appear a bit run down.

Yeah I was looking at Kevinsfort Heath and prices are cheaper by a good €100,000 plus. Gosh Kevinsfort the Sligo side of the western distributor road is lovely. Not many houses appear to come on the market from this estate.

Granted privacy mightn't be like in proper rural Ireland but after a few stints in the UK I've got used to that and I find after a while, unless your neighbours are extremely noisy, everyone just goes about their business.

Given that phase one is completed - once funds become available I can't see them not completing the 2k stretch for phase 2. This will have a greater impact on the Heath estate with the extra through traffic. Your nicely off from that in Kevinsfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 7p892gydacnrm4

There is only a 50k difference between the two and there shouldnt even be one at that.The heath boasts a way better design finish and spec.Laughable to suggest any house is run down when they are a way newer build.The way sligo co co finances are at the moment you wont be seeing any new roads haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

There is only a 50k difference between the two and there shouldnt even be one at that.The heath boasts a way better design finish and spec.Laughable to suggest any house is run down when they are a way newer build.The way sligo co co finances are at the moment you wont be seeing any new roads haha

a quick drive through both estates will show you why kevinsfort still has a premium price over kevinsfort heath. it's more established than heath, less rentals, has better landscaping and the houses and gardens are maintained in general to a higher level. a number of the kevinsfort heath houses were until recently unoccupied and completed to builders finish, these had become run down looking. still lovely houses in heath don't get me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here are the seling prices recently:

09/01/2015 €390,000.00 18 KESTREL DR, KEVINSFORT, STRANDHILL RD
    19/12/2014 €295,000.00 16 WARREN CRESENT, KEVINSFORT, SLIGO
    28/10/2014 €315,000.00 51 KEVINSFORT HEATH, STRANDHILL ROAD, SLIGO
    25/04/2014 €277,500.00 85 KEVINSFORT HEATH, SLIGO, SLIGO
    05/02/2014 €450,000.00 5 BARN OWL RD, KEVINSFORT, STRANDHILL RD
    20/01/2014 €245,000.00 25 KEVINSFORT HEATH, SLIGO, SLIGO
    19/12/2013 €242,290.00 33 Kevinsfort Heath, Strandhill Road, Sligo
    16/12/2013 €237,885.00 49 Kevinsfort Heath, Strandhill Road, Sligo
    06/12/2013 €229,074.86 41 Kevinsfort Heath, Strandhill Road, Sligo.
    27/09/2013 €355,000.00 7 WREN ROAD, KEVINSFORT, SLIGO
    24/06/2013 €285,000.00 76 Kevinsforth Heath, Strandhill Road, Sligo
    06/11/2012 €390,000.00 5 Warren Crescent, Kevinsfort, Sligo
    21/02/2011 €470,000.00 12 Kestel Drive, Kevinsfort, Sligo
    13/05/2010 €460,000.00 22 Old Fort Road, Kevinsfort, Sligo
    12/01/2010 €300,000.00 ** Kevinsfort Park, Strandhill Road, Sligo, Sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Bit of a zombie thread but interesting enough.

It still doesn't sit with too well with me that you can have a look and see what your neighbour either bought or sold their house for.

21/02/2011 €470,000.00 12 Kestel Drive, Kevinsfort, Sligo
    09/01/2015 €390,000.00 18 KESTREL DR, KEVINSFORT, STRANDHILL RD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Price transparency in all asset markets is very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Geuze wrote: »
    Price transparency in all asset markets is very important.

Oh right, I must remember to tell me neighbour that the next time he's out cutting the hedge.

Advertisement