Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Witness Statement - No witness available on court day

• 13-10-2013 9:58pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick question.

I've done a search and while some threads cover the general topic they do not address my specific question.

A defendant has been summonsed with breach of the peace and is being brought to court. He has got a witness to write out and sign a statement in his defence which the defendant has given to his solicitor. The witness for the defendant has gone to the defendants solicitor and gone through said statement.

The court date is not too far off and the witness is showing nerves at the whole process having never been through it or even involved with Gardaí/Courts before. They are already talking off not turning up due to nerves, but have no sign of retracting their supporting statement for the defendant. Is it possible that the statement, made by the witness, can be used in court (read into it or however it's phrased) or must the witness turn up on the day? Is the statement moot unless the witness testifies on the day?

The witness has not been summonsed by either the defendant's solicitor or the prosecution (again excuse the incorrect phrasing if i'm getting this wrong).

Thanks in advance.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cass wrote: »
    Is the statement moot unless the witness testifies on the day?

Yes.

If a defence witness has not been summonsed to appear and he doesn't show up, there is nothing the defendant can do and the statement is worthless. The judge will not allow the contents to be read in court and he (the judge) will not read it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

ss. 4k & 4L Criminal Procedure Act 1967, as amended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes.

If a defence witness has not been summonsed to appear and he doesn't show up, there is nothing the defendant can do and the statement is worthless. The judge will not allow the contents to be read in court and he (the judge) will not read it either.
    Thank you.
    I'm not legally minded but they seem to relate to summons, not appearing after being ordered/summonsed, etc. which is not the case, but thanks anyway. If i've read them wrong please correct.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

A reluctant witness should only be forced to attend on foot of summons as a last resort. In any event the question was could the statement be read to the court. I think the above sections only apply to indictment, the ordinary summons procedure as contained in the DC rules in any event would be adequate.

The short answer to the OP's question is no. There are exceptions of course, but I can not see the example given coming under any exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Certainly, last resort. But if there is real anxiety about the witholding of important testimony, then I would see a summons as a useful nudge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

But if there is real anxiety about the witholding of important testimony, then I would see a summons as a useful nudge.
    Quite possibly, and i'd agree as i believe the statement is important.

For a little perspective nothing is "set in stone". I was talking to the person involved (defendant) today, and he was told that it could be done, but i doubted it so said i'd ask.

The witness is a friend of his, and was present at the time of the incident. He has never been in a court and is (in his own words) "afraid of ballsing it up". Having never had to be in court myself i can empathise so the only advice i could give was to relax, and stick to his statement. He might come through or he may not, but i said i'd ask incase he goes AWOL (or is it UA now?).

It's a nuisance claim (basically an argument/war of words between neighbours), and i've told the person involved that the absolute worse case he is looking at is a possible fine, and bound to the peace/probation/etc. The defendant is 60 and not so much as a parking ticket in his life. Best case, it's dismissed.

I'll stop there as i know i cannot discuss any ongoing cases due to technical contempt of court. Thanks for the replies.

MODS - If i have already stepped over that line please edit or delete as appropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Cass wrote: »
    Quick question.

I've done a search and while some threads cover the general topic they do not address my specific question.

A defendant has been summonsed with breach of the peace and is being brought to court. He has got a witness to write out and sign a statement in his defence which the defendant has given to his solicitor. The witness for the defendant has gone to the defendants solicitor and gone through said statement.

The court date is not too far off and the witness is showing nerves at the whole process having never been through it or even involved with Gardaí/Courts before. They are already talking off not turning up due to nerves, but have no sign of retracting their supporting statement for the defendant. Is it possible that the statement, made by the witness, can be used in court (read into it or however it's phrased) or must the witness turn up on the day? Is the statement moot unless the witness testifies on the day?

The witness has not been summonsed by either the defendant's solicitor or the prosecution (again excuse the incorrect phrasing if i'm getting this wrong).

Thanks in advance.

The witness must attend and be available for cross examination.

Advertisement