Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a food stall

Options
  • 13-10-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Myself and a friend are interested in setting up a food stall at markets - selling baked goods, breads, jams etc.

Just looking for some information as to what's involved - costs, registering with the HSE etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved from Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Spice Girl

Don't have any answers but have you spoken to people who run these types of businesses? If you went to a food market and got them at a quiet time they should be able to give you a brief idea. I know that you might think that they would be guarding that info but really I'm sure that you would get some people to give you ideas/estimates/useful information.
    I had a friend who ran a crepe stall. She used to do farmers markets but then found that in terms of outlay, return, energy expended, that the large festivals like Oxygen, Electric Picnic etc were more profitable. Probably doesn't apply to your set up but maybe something to bear in mind.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭persie11

Just looking for some information as to what's involved - costs, registering with the HSE etc.

You need to speak to the local Envoirmental Health Officer in the HSE and he/she will come out and look at where you are baking. That's totally free.

You'll need market traders insurance, circa €200 a year, just google it and you'll find insurers like MAST etc.

There can be waiting times for some markets so you'd bêtter get onto the ones you want to join.

Big events like food festivals are worth doing.

You'll need to know the cost to bake the goods and how many you have to sell to at least break even.

It can be tough but good food always sells.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

It can vary greatly from local authority to local authority. The office I work in issues these permits and about the only sticky things can be a valid tax clearance cert, insurance usually is by I.O.M.S.T. it's not the dearest. And rates to us are paultry to. I've seen legit traders trade all in for as little as €3.33 a day!
    Best of luck I tried it too. Can be cold! Ps revenue came to us wanting all traders details but that was the first time we could remember them coming.

Advertisement