Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Novels/Comics?

Options
  • 13-10-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Not sure what to call them to be honest, either one seems to annoy somebody or other :D

I've started reading some graphic novels. The Walking Dead is fantastic, but more recently I've read Watchmen and V for Vendetta, and I'm currently reading Maus. Could anybody recommend me a few more along this vein? I really like the sci-fi dystopia's created by Moore (though Watchmen isn't really a dystopia I suppose), so something along those lines. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Neil Gaiman Sandman's series is one I'd recommend. Offhand about 10 books in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Persopolis, by Marjianne Satrani

About a middle class girl growing up in Iran from the Revolution on.

A different Graphical novel, with no fantasy/superhero/gothick influences, also an eye-opener to the horror of the mad mullahs running that country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon (both from NI) published by DC Vertigo. There are nine GNs in total.

Possibly the greatest thing I've ever read. It's a modern day dark humoured western that deals with religion, grail conspiracies, Irish vampires, sexual investigators, ku klux clan, voodoo, serial killers, evil hillbillies, a couple of Vietnam flashback issues and lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Manach wrote: »
    Neil Gaiman Sandman's series is one I'd recommend. Offhand about 10 books in the series.

+1 on Sandman.

It's worth noting that in the first volume (Preludes and Nocturnes) it was still finding its feet, it's still great but it gets more and more compelling as it goes on.

Afaik, there should be a prequel to Sandman coming out pretty soon. I read a post from Mr. Gaiman that said he was intending to release it on the 20th anniversary of the first issue, which should be next month I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Afaik, there should be a prequel to Sandman coming out pretty soon. I read a post from Mr. Gaiman that said he was intending to release it on the 20th anniversary of the first issue, which should be next month I think.

Apparently it's out the 30th of October! Huzzah!
    It's six issues to be released two months apart.

http://www.vertigocomics.com/blog/2013/07/01/dc-entertainments-vertigo-reveals-details-surrounding-neil-gaimans-highly

Hoorah indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I'd be a +1 on Sandman. Just read it and really enjoyed it!

I'm a huge fan of Y The Last Man by Brian K Vaughn and would recommend Fables (though I'm not a huge fan of the Jack spin-off).

100 Bullets was pretty good too.

Actually, most of DC Vertigo's output is pretty good. The Invisibles and Transmetropolitan also spring to mind.

Hellblazer.

I'll stop now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Sin City

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Sin City

The second movie should be out soon. Hopefully it'll be as entertainig as the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I really like the sci-fi dystopia's created by Moore (though Watchmen isn't really a dystopia I suppose), so something along those lines. Cheers.

Anything byEnki Bilal if you can get them.He's the master IMO.

Also Rex Mundi (dark horse) by Arvid Nelson while not sci-fi ,is a fantastic series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Scalped is a great crime epic and Locke and Key is a horror that's a lot of fun. For post apocalyptic and superheroes I enjoyed Old Man Logan quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If you're on an Alan Moore binge you may have come across From Hell. I'm reading it at the moment myself, and liking it. Eddie Campbell's art is a bit jarring, sometimes I find myself squinting to take everything in a panel on board, but the writing is solid.

Advertisement