Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Engagement Rings in Cork

Options
  • 13-10-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't want to sound cheap but I really want to propose to my partner of 7 years and mother of my 2 children.I know she deserves more but don't think I can get more than about €500 together.
    I hope I don't sound tight, but does anyone know anywhere that might do that in Cork or even any good websites that might sell really nice looking rings?

Thanks Again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Online you could try Bluenile. You can design a ring specific to your budget. I've used them twice before for gifts and the service is very good.

In town, I found Hilser bros on grand parade very nice to deal with when buying the ring for herself a few years back. The brother in law bought his engagement ring in an antique shop in Dublin and got a very good deal if that would be the kind of thing your fiance-to-be would like. There is probably a few around Cork.

Stay out of the big named jewellers. Some of them seem to still have their heads in the Celtic Tiger clouds and arent really interested unless your spending a fortune.

Edit: Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rockdj316

SeaFields wrote: »
    Online you could try Bluenile. You can design a ring specific to your budget. I've used them twice before for gifts and the service is very good.

In town, I found Hilser bros on grand parade very nice to deal with when buying the ring for herself a few years back. The brother in law bought his engagement ring in an antique shop in Dublin and got a very good deal if that would be the kind of thing your fiance-to-be would like. There is probably a few around Cork.

Stay out of the big named jewellers. Some of them seem to still have their heads in the Celtic Tiger clouds and arent really interested unless your spending a fortune.

Edit: Good luck!

Is the quality of the jewellery on bluenile any good?their reviews are kind of split down the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

rockdj316 wrote: »
    Is the quality of the jewellery on bluenile any good?their reviews are kind of split down the middle

I've bought two things off them - a ring (not herself engagement ring) and a necklace. She has both and really likes both, cant complain re quality and service was great. I eventually bought the engagement ring in Hilsers but looked after and I would have saved around 15% if i got it from bluenile. I think there is a few threads in the wedding forums about online buying of rings if you wanted to check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I got my ring in Monas Antiques and she was dotty but fab. I adore it. It went a bit beyond my budget. You could also try diamond nexus online. They have great selection for any budget. Esp their 10K budget. I also saw some lovely rings in H Samuel when I went there. Good luck!

all_smilz wrote: »
    I got my ring in Monas Antiques and she was dotty but fab. I adore it. It went a bit beyond my budget. You could also try diamond nexus online. They have great selection for any budget. Esp their 10K budget. I also saw some lovely rings in H Samuel when I went there. Good luck!
    Thanks all smilz,where are Monas Antiques btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

Oliver Plunkett street just up from An Brog.

Excellent!Going for a weekend away in a few weeks and if I can I'll try to pop the Question then!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Woodwards are having a jewellery auction on Wednesday, it might be worth a look. There are no reserves so you might get a bargain , though you have to add on vat and i think a buyers premium on the auction price

http://www.woodward.ie/auctions/2013/oct2013-jewels/cat-web.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

rockdj316 wrote: »

My engagement ring is bluenile. Very happy with quality. Had it valued as soon as it arrived to check all was ok, valuer put value on it over twice what we had paid for it. That was a good few years ago, I would consider them reputable.

(More reputable than a certain cork small jeweller who completely ripped my friend off with a fake cert attached to a diamond.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Congrats OP by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im in the same boat OP, might be able to stretch to 1k but I'm finding it tough to find something in my budget that I know she will like. Gunna try bluenile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just going to throw something a bit different out there but Designworks (opposite the Bodega, near TK-Max) could be a cool option. They do bespoke pieces for any budget. It may make it more special to have a ring actually designed and made for you. Obviously, because it would be designed and made for you, the budget will have to take into account that the diamond may not be as big but you'd have a ring made just for you at the end of it which is quite cool and unique. I've dealt with Tulla Harrington in there a few times, can't recommend her highly enough. Wonderful designer to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I wouldn't worry about being cheap fella, if that's what the budget is, that's the budget.
    Saying that though have you thought about going down the route of asking her with a costume jewellery ring and then giving youself x more months of savings?

razorblunt wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about being cheap fella, if that's what the budget is, that's the budget.
    Saying that though have you thought about going down the route of asking her with a costume jewellery ring and then giving youself x more months of savings?
    That's a pretty decent idea dude to be fair to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

i would be heading for cash converters in north main street i tell ya;)

Advertisement