Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with dog

• 13-10-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am travelling from Dublin to London and want to bring my small one year old maltese with me.

Is anyone aware of any airlines that will allow me to bring my dog in the cabin? I know there are cargo services available etc but would prefer to avoid putting the little guy through that if possible!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Not sure about airlines that take dogs, many don't, you better ring around and check, don't trust websites for info.

Just another thing to check, do you have you pet passport? The authorities are now enforcing the EU directive regarding animals travelling between UK and Ireland, see thread below for details.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057038256

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

You could also look into getting the ferry and train?
    best of luck, Em

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Edel D wrote: »
    I am travelling from Dublin to London and want to bring my small one year old maltese with me.

Is anyone aware of any airlines that will allow me to bring my dog in the cabin? I know there are cargo services available etc but would prefer to avoid putting the little guy through that if possible!!
    Big question would be the size of the dog obviously; if it can fit into a carry on sized cage you'd have a lot easier time then lets say a Golden retriever sized dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

As far as I am aware the only way to transport an animal from Ireland to the UK is by ferry. None of the airlines will take an animal, either in the cabin or in the hold. (If you DO come across an airline that allows this I'd be interested to know!)

The issue with an animal travelling in the luggage hold of the aircraft is that this area is not pressurised, unlike the cabin. A pressurised hold is necessary for the animal to survive the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭Full_TiltKeith

twomonkeys wrote: »
    As far as I am aware the only way to transport an animal from Ireland to the UK is by ferry. None of the airlines will take an animal, either in the cabin or in the hold. (If you DO come across an airline that allows this I'd be interested to know!)

The issue with an animal travelling in the luggage hold of the aircraft is that this area is not pressurised, unlike the cabin. A pressurised hold is necessary for the animal to survive the journey.

AirFrance allow it both in the hold and in the cabin.

I think they fly between Ireland and the UK?

http://www.airfrance.ie/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/animal_tarifs_airfrance.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement